Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 09-14-2013   #1
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute
Titanian mountains are named after mountains in Tolkien's works.

Source

"Doom Mons is named after Mount Doom, a volcano that appears in J. R. R. Tolkien's fictional world of Middle-earth, most prominently in The Lord of the Rings.[1] The name follows a convention by the IAU Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature that Titanian mountains are named after mountains in Tolkien's works. Other examples of Titanian mountains or mountain ranges named after Tolkien's works include Erebor Mons, Irensaga Montes, Mindolluin Montes, Misty Montes, Mithrim Montes, and Taniquetil Montes.[12] The name of Mount Doom was formally announced for the Titanian mountain on November 13, 2012."

Zana will loooooove this.

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #2
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
Re: Titanian mountains are named after mountains in Tolkien's works.

Cool. That must mean the Shire really exists!

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013   #3
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

This is awesome.

And PD, if the Shire really exists, I need to go to there....
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #4
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA YAY!!

I mean. That's cool. What an interesting fact.

Seriously, that is awesome.

And Jenn, pD, the Shire actually *does* exist:

http://www.hobbitontours.com/

When they were filming the first three LotR films, they had a temporary Shire set, and took it down after the films. Apparently the demand to see Hobbiton was so high that they erected a permanent, more durable recreation of Hobbiton that you can still tour to this day. Heehee!

My sister and I went to New Zealand years ago but the permanent set wasn't there when we visited. They do, however, have multiple LotR and Hobbit-related tours you can take (we took two when we were there, saw some of the mountains and scenery from the films, which was amazing), and now Hobbiton will forever exist somewhere in farm country of New Zealand.

Aaaaaaaaaaand looks like my sister and I will also have to visit the Titanian mountains, as well. Done, and, done!

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013   #5
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

Screw Canada. Let's have the convention at the Shire!

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 09-15-2013   #6
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA YAY!!

I mean. That's cool. What an interesting fact.

Seriously, that is awesome.

And Jenn, pD, the Shire actually *does* exist:

http://www.hobbitontours.com/

When they were filming the first three LotR films, they had a temporary Shire set, and took it down after the films. Apparently the demand to see Hobbiton was so high that they erected a permanent, more durable recreation of Hobbiton that you can still tour to this day. Heehee!

My sister and I went to New Zealand years ago but the permanent set wasn't there when we visited. They do, however, have multiple LotR and Hobbit-related tours you can take (we took two when we were there, saw some of the mountains and scenery from the films, which was amazing), and now Hobbiton will forever exist somewhere in farm country of New Zealand.

Aaaaaaaaaaand looks like my sister and I will also have to visit the Titanian mountains, as well. Done, and, done!
Yeah but I mean a real REAL Shire with hobbits. Not the one they put together for the movie...although looking at the special features, they did an amazing job on it.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013   #7
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Hobbits! FOUR HOBBITS! lol i love that part of the movie.

How much do you think the pot costs out there? You think it's free?

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina