Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 11-01-2008   #1
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
World's First Real Blue Roses

http://www.phenomenica.com/2008/11/blue-rose.html

Quote:
London, Nov 01: Thanks to genetic modification, scientists have created the word’s first blue roses, which took nearly two decades of scientific research to develop.

According to a report in the Telegraph, the blooms are genetically modified and have been implanted with a gene that simulates the synthesis of blue pigment in pansies.

The flowers, which were displayed at the International Flower Expo (IFEX) Tokyo, will go on sale commercially next autumn.

”This is the first time that these blue roses have been put on display in public,” according to Megumi Mitsunaga, a spokeswoman for IFEX. “They are attracting lots of attention here because they are so unusual,” she added.

The creation of the blue roses, which was long thought to be impossible, was masterminded by an Australian-based subsidiary of Suntory, a Japanese company.

Though blue roses have been available in florists in recent years, but until now, they have been created by using various dying techniques to stain the petals of naturally white roses.

However, the Suntory roses are believed to be the first genetically modified blue rose creations.

The firm has invested three billion yen in the creation of blue roses, blue carnations and other blue flowers since 1990.

Its scientists successfully pioneered implanting the gene that produces Delphinidin, the primary plant pigment that produces a blue hue but is not found naturally in roses.

The world’s first genetically modified blue roses were created in the laboratory four years ago, although further research was required to make them safe to grow in nature.

Following the cultivation of test batches in the United States and America, the company will be ready to sell them from next year and aims to open up a global market for blue flowers worth an estimated 30 billion yen.
An alternative title is "World's worst use of 3 billion yen and advanced genetic techniques for private profit".
Seriously... 30 million dollars for a new color (not species, method of photosynthesis, or the like) of flower.
In any case, I don't know why people would want blue plant genitals--no, genetically-modified plant genitals--but where funding is available, science prospers.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #2
amphiskios
Banned

amphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to amphiskios
Re: World's First Real Blue Roses

Amazing amount of money to produce blue flowers. They do have a nice color though.
amphiskios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #3
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

It reminds me of that episode in Fullmetal Alchemist, the one about the guy who trys to create his love over and over again, but she really isn't dead. I think she carries around blue roses.
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #4
kid
Newbie Member

kid is doing greatkid is doing great

Quote:
Thanks to genetic modification, scientists have created the word’s first blue roses, which took nearly two decades of scientific research to develop.
The firm has invested three billion yen in the creation of blue roses, blue carnations and other blue flowers since 1990.
And now,ten causes very worthy of research, development, or funding, worldwide:

1. Coronary heart disease (12.2% of all worldwide deaths/yr)
2. Stroke and other cerebrovascular diseases (9.7%)
3. Lower respiratory infections (7.1%)
4. Perinatal conditions (5.4%)
5. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (5.1%)
6. Diarrhoeal diseases (3.7%)
7. HIV/AIDS (3.5%)
8. Tuberculosis (2.5%)
9. Trachea, bronchus, lung cancers (2.3%)
10. Blue Roses (0.00% of deaths... but boy do they look pretty!)
Source: WHO
kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #5
amphiskios
Banned

amphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to amphiskios

All of those people dying from their loser diseases should have made money when they had the chance.
amphiskios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #6
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by amphiskios View Post
All of those people dying from their loser diseases should have made money when they had the chance by investing in the blue roses industry.
Fixed.

Honestly, it's cool that they made new roses, but as kid implied, there are many more deserving areas of study that do not get funding simply because they are not of huge benefit to private companies. It's bollocks: programs that benefit people worldwide should be allocated funding.
From where would the funding come? I have no idea; perhaps it can be diverted from politicians' wardrobes and professional athletes' bonuses or--just maybe--even the "main-street-ers" of the world can donate a small piece of their relative affluence to the betterment of mankind.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #7
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

The good little soldier who wants a cure for cancer and MS says 'what a waste of money.'

The girl in me says "I WANT ONE!"
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #8
GoddessDivine

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^yes, a bouquet of blue roses would be an amazing gift, lol
-Obi Wan

Old 11-01-2008   #9
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

I love them. Get me some!
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #10
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

It's not about money; it's about sending a message.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #11
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

I am so torn between longing for a lovely boquet of such poetic flowers to expressing the same sort of criticisms as those above me.

Anyone else reminded of "The Glass Menagerie" and Laura's nickname of "blue roses?" ...probably just me...
Old 11-03-2008   #12
Mr. Definistrate
I'm a magic man

Mr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond repute

Why should we care?

Actually, I think this is a good use of money. A private company spent private money researching this and creating blue roses.

Isn't this better than the amount of money privately spent on, say, cage fighting?

"There is, after all, more social justice in a loaf of bread than in schemes for a fairer distribution of wealth. Putting it another way . . . Adam Smith, however unfashionable, can feed more people than Karl Marx can."
--Forbes article on Food crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Little Jimmy: (Tries to pour cereal from box; nothing comes out) "Nothing...for breakfast?"
Announcer: "That's right, little Jimmy! Nihilistic Crunch comes with a little nothing in every box!"
Little Jimmy: "Gee wiz, Mister! Won't I be hungry for the rest of the day?"
Announcer: "Well, Jimmy, that's the cost of keepin' it real."
Little Jimmy: (looks downcast)
Announcer: "Nihilistic Crunch: Now utterly devoid of swirls!"
Mr. Definistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #13
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Red roses mean Love and yellow friendship and so on....

What does Blue roses mean now ?

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #14
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz View Post
Red roses mean Love and yellow friendship and so on....

What does Blue roses mean now ?
The official break-up flower...?

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 11-03-2008   #15
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
^yes, a bouquet of blue roses would be an amazing gift, lol
I would get one and give it to spades, but it's a bit of a wast considering they are only going to die after about a week sitting on her grave anyway...
Would have been nice to have 4 years ago, though.

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #16
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

Can't they make it talk or something? Perhaps blend down the petals into tea and cure something.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008   #17
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
The official break-up flower...?
No. The 'I just spent a TON of money getting one of these for you so I'd better get laid' flower.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #18
Zanahoria_Picante

^ I...

Well, that is...

Couldn't it be the "I hope you appreciate how many elusive, therefore, invaluable smurfs--yes, smurfs, this 'genetically modified' business is just a cover up--had to die to make you smile" flower? Or is that too long?

No, you're probably right about that being true in most cases.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 11-04-2008   #19
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

what is with: "This could have been a cure for cancer"-flower?

even if that rose looks lovely but 30 million $? At least scientist earned some 'knowhow' with it.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #20
GoddessDivine

I think that flower is the "hey it's not you, it's me" flower
-Obi Wan