Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 03-31-2009   #1
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute
drugs that make ya gamble

What next? A lot of drugs do the same harm as Requip, but those must be ok.

Requip Side Effect Lawyers

Quote:
The lawyers / attorneys at our firm are investigating potential lawsuits on behalf of victims of Requip side effects. Requip is a popular medication used to control tremors associated with Parkinson’s Disease and Restless Leg Syndrome. Unfortunately, drugs like Requip have been associated with gambling addictions and other compulsive behaviors. If you or someone you know developed such a problem after starting treatment with this drug, we urge you to contact one of our Requip side effect lawyers as soon as possible to protect your legal rights.

Most victims of Requip side effects have had no prior history of obsessive or compulsive behaviors before starting therapy. And in virtually every case, the compulsive behavior subsided once Requip was discontinued. Despite such reports, the maker of Requip has denied that there is an association between these behaviors and this medication. However, our Requip side effect lawyers are aware of numerous studies that show otherwise.

Victims of Requip compulsivity disorders may be entitled to compensation for their pain and suffering. The Requip side effects lawyers at our firm have been able to achieve excellent results for victims of other defective drugs, and we are committed to making sure those whose lives have been impacted by Requip impulse control disorders receive the compensation they deserve.

Requip is a dopamine agonist and works by mimicking the effects of this neurotransmitter. Parkinson's Disease occurs because of a lack of dopamine in certain areas of the brain. Dopamine helps people control their movements and increases feelings of happiness and satisfaction.

Dopamine agonists are powerful drugs, and can drastically alter brain chemistry. For example, dopamine is known to produce a “rush” in the brain of people who are anticipating a reward or excitement. Many experts believe that such a biochemical reaction is behind the reports of compulsive behavior linked to Requip and similar drugs.

The behavioral changes witnessed in some patients whose therapy includes dopamine agonists can be wide-ranging. On the mild side, some start engaging in benign activities - for example, frequently buying lottery tickets - and nothing more. Others, however, have been known to develop serious OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), as well as aggressive sexual impulses, overeating, medication abuse, or pathological gambling problems.

Since these personality changes are dramatic and involve conduct that the patient has usually not exhibited in the past, relatives and associates of anyone being treated with Requip should be aware of the potential problem and remain watchful for marked behavioral changes.

The side effects of dopamine agonists like Requip have caused bankruptcies, broken marriages, depression and even suicide. As a result, more than 300 lawsuits against the makers of these medications have been filed in courts around the country. These cases have been consolidated in a Multidistrict Litigation in the US District Court in Minneapolis.

The first verdict was reached in a "bellwether" dopamine agonist lawsuit in the summer of 2008. This lawsuit, which involved the drug Mirapex, resulted in an $8.2 million jury award for the drug's victim, who blamed the dopamine agonist for his compulsive gambling. In light of this case, the prospects that other dopamine agonist lawsuits will be decided in favor of plaintiffs are extremely good.

Studies Link Requip and Similar Drugs to Gambling Addiction, Compulsive Behavior
Scores of Requip users claim to have developed compulsivity problems while taking this drug. Over the years, researchers have been able to document a strong correlation between drugs like Requip and these problems.

In 2003, researchers at the Muhammad Ali Parkinson Research Center at the Barrow Neurological Institute in Arizona published a study that involved the monitoring of 1,800 Parkinson's patients over a one year period. Of the 529 patients in the study who took another dopamine agonist called Mirapex, eight developed gambling addictions. For most patients, the gambling behavior improved after they stopped taking the medication.

In July 2005, Mayo Clinic researchers reported more documented behavior that supported an association between Requip and other dopamine agonists with gambling addiction and compulsive behaviors. The report detailed 11 Parkinson's patients who developed gambling problems while taking Requip or similar drugs between 2002 and 2004. After the study’s completion, the Mayo clinic researchers identified 14 additional patients with the problem.
Finally, results from the largest study ever to investigate the connection between compulsive behavior and dopamine agonists like Requip was presented at the International Congress of Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders conference in Chicago in 2008. The study found that, out of 3,000 patients from 46 medical centers in the United States and Canada, 13 percent of those taking dopamine agonists suffered from at least one of four serious behavioral addictions.

The 2008 dopamine agonists study sent shockwaves throughout the medical world. In an article detailing the study in The Chicago Tribune, some doctors said that they would no longer prescribe drugs like Requip. Others said they were strongly warning their patients who used Requip and similar drugs to be on the lookout for signs that they might be developing compulsive behaviors.

Other Requip Side Effects
In addition to compulsivity problems, Requip has been linked to a variety of other side effects. The lawyers at our firm are offering free consultations to anyone who was treated with Requip and developed other problems related to its use.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #2
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Re: drugs that make ya gamble

I have often thought I have Restless Leg Syndrome. I kick a lot. It feels like I'm almost always moving my legs, whether I'm trying to sleep or otherwise. Note: I'm not right now, but this seems to be an exception.

RLS also seems to be a secondary condition of having thyroid problems or sleep apnea, both of which I also have.

I wonder if I might further develop OCDs or other behavioral problems on that medication.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009   #3
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

^well, according to the article there's a 13% chance you might.
hai Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #4
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

lol what happened to mdl. who was she fighting with again?

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #5
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

^usually me.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011   #6
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

i think she hated jaws too. her and david became a team though

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote