Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 01-25-2008   #161
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Orgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to Orgoth
Re: Ask Jason

Quote:
Originally Said by amphiskios View Post
It will take a while for Jason to answer, So I will. Orgoth, the number is the amount of reputation altering power. When you rep someone, that is the amount it goes up or down.

Also, I'm very impressed that you knew about the Kentucky bend Jason. Did you know that before or did you look it up?
Ah, so that means when I rep someone their points will go up 2 or down 2 depending on how I rep-ed them, ok, I understand now. See I didn't derive that from the section on rep in the rules, so it doesn't hurt to ask.

Orgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #162
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Orgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart god

EC, could you please find me a torrent for the movie The Wizard, I'm having trouble, all I get is The Wizard of Oz.

Question form: EC could you please locate and post a torrent URL that will allow me to download the movie The Wizard?

Old 01-28-2008   #163
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by 0rgoth View Post
Jason, what do the numbers represent next to the gree bar for rep?
Amphiskios was kind enough to answer that for you.

Quote:
Originally Said by jackthepanda View Post
did you check the faq?
Apparently not.

Quote:
Also, I'm very impressed that you knew about the Kentucky bend Jason. Did you know that before or did you look it up?
I knew there was a state that was like that. I couldn't get my mind away from Michigan though I know it's little separated expanse borders no other states.

So yes, I had to look it up.

Quote:
EC, could you please find me a torrent for the movie The Wizard, I'm having trouble, all I get is The Wizard of Oz.

Question form: EC could you please locate and post a torrent URL that will allow me to download the movie The Wizard?
If you'd not used a run-on sentence in the first line, you could have ended it with a question mark and you'd therefore have no need of the second line.

At any rate, I found this (http://www.mininova.org/tor/205710). It's only got one seed, three peers (of which I am one), and it appears to be an uncompressed mpeg. 3.5 gigs!!!

But that was all I could find. From what I've gathered, it's a rip of the HD version. That would explain its size.

It's going to take forever to download this.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #164
Orgoth
Mod In Training

It's ok, I've wanted to see this movie, but have been unable to find it.

EDIT: I just received a message "Error Page Not Found"

Old 01-28-2008   #165
misfitchris
zer0.

misfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to misfitchris

heh the wizard. that brings back memories.

the power glove > *

Don't you just love it when the end result is greater than the sum of its parts?
misfitchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #166
Drogdar
The one and only.

Drogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond repute

EC... can you loose weight?

Quote:
Originally Said by foxy View Post
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Originally Said by YouKnowWhoYouAre
Ah well, she knows she's a bitch.
Drogdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #167
amphiskios
Banned

amphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond reputeamphiskios has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to amphiskios

Why don't people spell check?
amphiskios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #168
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
It's ok, I've wanted to see this movie, but have been unable to find it.

EDIT: I just received a message "Error Page Not Found"
Try either removing the excess closing parenthesis or just going here again.

http://www.mininova.org/tor/205710

Quote:
Originally Said by misfitchris View Post
heh the wizard. that brings back memories.

the power glove > *
"I love the Power Glove. It's so bad."

HORSE the Band "Cutsman" video.

Quote:
Originally Said by Drogdar View Post
EC... can you loose weight?
No, all my weight is connected to me.

Quote:
Why don't people spell check?
I don't know. I don't. But I don't need to either.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 02-25-2008   #169
EmperorChaos

It has been three weeks since Jason was asked a question.

What gives? Surely there is something you wish to know.
-=-=-=-
Old 02-25-2008   #170
Mr. Definistrate
I'm a magic man

Mr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm.

EC, what advice should I give to my idiot friend who constantly breaks up, makes up with her boyfriend (we're on time 5 or 6 now in 5 months!)?

What is your favorite type of music?

What video game console do you prefer?

Is it a good idea to take AP classes?

What do you need to hack someone's computer? I know Brute forcing takes a while unless they have an easy password to guess, but what would someone else need to have about my computer to hack me? an IP adress? something else?

Oh, and can you hack someone when they are playing with you via online game using servers (Like WoW or Starcraft etc.)?

"There is, after all, more social justice in a loaf of bread than in schemes for a fairer distribution of wealth. Putting it another way . . . Adam Smith, however unfashionable, can feed more people than Karl Marx can."
--Forbes article on Food crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Little Jimmy: (Tries to pour cereal from box; nothing comes out) "Nothing...for breakfast?"
Announcer: "That's right, little Jimmy! Nihilistic Crunch comes with a little nothing in every box!"
Little Jimmy: "Gee wiz, Mister! Won't I be hungry for the rest of the day?"
Announcer: "Well, Jimmy, that's the cost of keepin' it real."
Little Jimmy: (looks downcast)
Announcer: "Nihilistic Crunch: Now utterly devoid of swirls!"

Last edited by Mr. Definistrate; 02-25-2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: to add the last question
Mr. Definistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #171
Laughing Man X2
The cool guy.

Laughing Man X2 is a jewel in the roughLaughing Man X2 is a jewel in the roughLaughing Man X2 is a jewel in the rough

Questions huh? Well... are you familiar with Ayn Rand and her philosophical beliefs and/or literature? I was made to read Atlas Shrugged for a scholarship contest (after 100 pages, I read it of my own volition) and I thought it made a lot of sense but was abstract at best for our current society. What is your opinion on the matter?

* Leaves sacrifice at the alter and walks away slowly...*

- borrowed from The Art of War with a little twist on top ^_^

Here's something a tad less smart:

" If I had a dollar for every brain you didn't have, I would have one dollar..."

I'm on MySpace: Myspace.com/xfinalhydrax
Laughing Man X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008   #172
BrockSamson
Semper Fi

BrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by all
Send a message via AIM to BrockSamson
Would Jason have a drink with me when Im down in SC in the next month or so?
I may even smuggle a few Cubans, to make for an intellectual setting, then break way into the discussion of the human limits based on the mind.

Quote:
Originally Said by Mr. Definistrate View Post
Oh, and can you hack someone when they are playing with you via online game using servers (Like WoW or Starcraft etc.)?
Half the kids on WoW, Starcraft, Warcraft, etc. Are full of it they dont even know the difference between a static IP and a dynamic IP. They just like to threaten you with trojans they dont even know how to send and probably just infect themselves. Personal experiences have taught me you can tell them your IP and your password to your computer and nothing will ever happen.

-Sorry EC, couldnt help it-

Fuckin Right you are.
PBJT:
http://kuoi.com/~davidcb/sounds/banana.swf
396 LT1, 639 rwhp N/A

Last edited by Emperor Chaos; 02-25-2008 at 10:19 PM.
BrockSamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #173
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Mr. Definistrate View Post
hmmmm.
.mmmmmh

Quote:
EC, what advice should I give to my idiot friend who constantly breaks up, makes up with her boyfriend (we're on time 5 or 6 now in 5 months!)?
First, ask her if she likes fat guys. If yes, tell her to dump him and go out with me. If no, slap her for being obtuse.

I don't really know. I've never been able to understand that break-up/make-up mentality.

Quote:
What is your favorite type of music?
Uh... uh... uh... uh...

I listen to everything from early country to rap, from ska to indie rock, from (my definition of) emo to black metal, from ragtime to classical. I almost invariably go back to listening to punk rock for weeks on end, though. Actually, I shift between phases of punk, metal, and indie.

Quote:
What video game console do you prefer?
The PC because I don't have any consoles.

Quote:
Is it a good idea to take AP classes?
Yes, always. Whether you are going to college or not. AP classes are weighted more heavily on your GPA so they will boost your rank substantially if you perform at least adequately in them.

Quote:
What do you need to hack someone's computer? I know Brute forcing takes a while unless they have an easy password to guess, but what would someone else need to have about my computer to hack me? an IP adress? something else?
First, you need intricate knowledge of the workings of computers and networking.

Second, you need a code of ethics. Are you a black hat hacker who might use his skill for identity theft or credit fraud? Or are you a white hat who uses his skill for demonstrating vulnerabilities in computer systems?

Third, you need to know the exploits of certain computer systems. Operating systems such as windows 98 and windows ME have many vulnerabilities while Window XP and Windows Vista have had many of these exploits patched. Other systems, such as the Linux kernel, are more difficult to gain unauthorized access to.

Fourth, you need a set of tools: some type of scanner for finding the aforementioned exploits, a rootkit for masking what you've done as a system process, a means of spoofing your ip address to make it more difficult to trace you, and a packet sniffer that can collect data which might contain personal information and/or passwords as it travels across the network (either the LAN or the Internet).

Fifth, it's always good to have a public computer for use so it can't be traced back to you.

Sixth, the ability to use what is collectively known as "social engineering" though more commonly called "phishing". I am an expert at "social engineering". I can obtain personal identifiable information about people by posing as someone else well. I don't do it. But I can. It's all in the delivery. =P

Finally, you need an address. It would most likely be an IP address.

Quote:
Well I don't play multiplayer games much but I imagine if you knew how you could get the IP addresses of others. I don't know if game servers have direct connect capabilities... but, for example, if I were to send you a file or you sent me a file or we direct-connected via AIM, I could go to Start->Run.. type "cmd" and then type "netstat" and enter. You must quickly type "netstat" right after direct-connecting. You also have to have a general idea of what IP you are looking for and what port range it would be found under.

Here's an example:

IP_gathering.jpg

That's a screen shot of my "netstat" after directly connecting to FoxyPhoenix. The identifiable information has been redacted.

You would then have to resolve the DNS (Dynamic Name Server) address to its actual IP (Internet Protocol) address as well. But you can easily find programs to do that.

I use Google for a lot of my "snooping" honestly. I've found out information about pittielynn and MudPuppet (albeit erroneously) that way.

I also recently used my skills to track down the new member "owl" but that information is being kept confidential.

Quote:
Originally Said by Laughing Man X2 View Post
Questions huh?
Yup.

Quote:
Well... are you familiar with Ayn Rand and her philosophical beliefs and/or literature? I was made to read Atlas Shrugged for a scholarship contest (after 100 pages, I read it of my own volition) and I thought it made a lot of sense but was abstract at best for our current society. What is your opinion on the matter?

* Leaves sacrifice at the alter and walks away slowly...*
I'm actually not familiar with Ayn Rand so I can't answer you. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Said by BrockSamson View Post
Would Jason have a drink with me when Im down in SC in the next month or so?
I may even smuggle a few Cubans, to make for an intellectual setting, then break way into the discussion of the human limits based on the mind.
Fine by me. It's a few hours' drive but as long as there is a place to hang out I am down.

Quote:
-Sorry EC, couldnt help it-
It's cool.
-=-=-=-

Last edited by Emperor Chaos; 02-26-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2008   #174
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by EC
Yes, always. Whether you are going to college or not. AP classes are weighted more heavily on your GPA so they will boost your rank substantially if you perform at least adequately in them.
THIS IS NOT ALWAYS TRUE. Trust me, my GPA got fucked over when my school decided to change systems on me. Always check your school's grading and weighting systems. My school sent both unweighted and weighted GPAs to colleges, but only considered unweighted for class rank, valedictorian, and distinguished scholar. This means that a girl who took NO AP classes at all during high school got valedictorian instead of people like me (I took 10, a friend of mine took 14, the runner up for valedictorian took 12).
Be extremely careful with this if you care a lot about your GPA.
In a non-GPA sense, they prepare you a lot better than normal classes for college, make you think more critically, and are not a waste of your time in the least. I took tons because I loved them; going back to a normal class was not an option in my mind. My advice would be to take them, if you can. Better colleges definitely take APs on your transcript as a great sign.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #175
EmperorChaos

I guess it varies from district to district. Taking multiple AP classes did wonders for my GPA. I went in rank from the 120s at the beginning of my junior year to 18th by the end of my senior year.
-=-=-=-
Old 02-26-2008   #176
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question.

Why does misfitchris delete so many of his posts?
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008   #177
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post
I have a question.
Apparently so...

Quote:
Why does misfitchris delete so many of his posts?
Well, I've known Chris for about *counts on fingers*--holy shit!---13 years! Since I was in 7th grade and he was in 6th (or maybe I'm a year off...) I just realized that... half my fuckin' life. But I digress...

In that time I've known him to say some really funny things and some really crude things. So some of his posts might be him self-censoring himself, either because what was said was off-topic or could be construed as flaming or an insult, whatever. Other times he might delete his post because he thought what he said wasn't funny or appropriate.

Fact of the matter is... I don't really know why he deletes the majority of them. But I do know this: Some he deletes because he knows I can still read them and they're either relevant to us (inside joke maybe?) or he thinks I'll get a laugh out of them (and I usually do) but someone else might find inappropriate. But if he edits first then deletes a post, you can usually tell because he places a period or some other symbols instead. Those are the posts I've often been most curious about.

Thanks for the question!

And thanks for reading!
-=-=-=-
Old 02-26-2008   #178
BrockSamson
Semper Fi

BrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by all

Im driving down from Ohio to my location in SC, or maybe in the Outer banks, which would be more north, Either way where would I hypothetically make a pit stop to in turn rondayview with EC, to have this drink?

Fuckin Right you are.
PBJT:
396 LT1, 639 rwhp N/A
Old 02-26-2008   #179
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by BrockSamson View Post
Im driving down from Ohio to my location in SC, or maybe in the Outer banks, which would be more north, Either way where would I hypothetically make a pit stop to in turn rondayview with EC, to have this drink?
Well, I'm in Charleston. That's about the midpoint on SC's coast. It's probably out of the way for either Parris Island or the Outer Banks

But if you do come this'a way, I know a few bars you could go to without worrying about your age.

Or I could always just buy some liquor and we go hang out at MisfitChris's place.

What date are we talking about here? Maybe you should find out where you're going too. I can drive somewhere too.
-=-=-=-
Old 03-02-2008   #180
BrockSamson
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Said by Emperor Chaos View Post
Well, I'm in Charleston. That's about the midpoint on SC's coast. It's probably out of the way for either Parris Island or the Outer Banks

But if you do come this'a way, I know a few bars you could go to without worrying about your age.

Or I could always just buy some liquor and we go hang out at MisfitChris's place.

What date are we talking about here? Maybe you should find out where you're going too. I can drive somewhere too.
Well, the date is unknown, but will be durring the summer, Im in the middle of being qualified for scout/sniper school. When qualified I will be given a set date. I figured I would leave Ohio and go hang out on a beach somewhere before I leave so I dont have a set location. (Paris Island been there done that:P) I will just wear my Blues and they wont ID me:) They figure if you can die for your country you can drink. I will get you the date, whenever I do though.
--------------------------------------------

Side note could you find me a location to download the movie snatch? NOT THE PORNO, I mean the movie with Brad Pitt I believe, (been awhile since I seen it) also I think its based in london or Ireland, its a great Dark Humor movie. I always search it and get the f'n-ing pornos that come up.

Fuckin Right you are.
PBJT:
396 LT1, 639 rwhp N/A