Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Gamers Hangout

Gamers Hangout Forum for game addicts. PC or console.

Old 10-25-2009   #1
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Orgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to Orgoth
The Last Remnant

Yet again Square puts together another epic game. In this RPG your normal battle system has been thrown out the window to be replaced with a "battle squad" system called Unions. The basis of this system revolves around a lot of strategy, one set up could prove useful throughout a whole dungeon, and then you get to the boss only to get your ass handed to you. The way the system works is that you are given leaders whom which are added on through out the story, or can be hired from the guild. From there you build your squads of 5 soldiers that you pick up from cities. Each soldier has their own unique battle styles based around their weapon and whether or not you focus them on Combat, Support, or Magic. Also no single unit can be taken down, the squads HP is a total of all members HP, so when the groups HP drops to zero the group is terminated.

Aside from the unique battle system the game has a great storyline, which I won't delve much into because I haven't made it that far into the game. From what I can say is that the protagonist is a young man named Rush who is trying to rescue his sister, whom was kidnapped by the research academy his parents work for. The games storyline is built around secrecy, deceit, and a power hungry war monger.

Graphics wise the game is stunning, great environments, beautiful cities, very pleasing to the eye. Hell sometimes after you've given battle commands you'll be enthralled by the landscape of the battle field, that you'll be trying to take it all in.

If you haven't played this game yet, it's a great deal used for $15 (USD) at your local game store. I say pick it up and spend a few hours trying to build the perfect team, just for the game to adapt to your playing style and throw a curve ball at you. Get lost in its story, for Square has put out one great game here that definitely didn't get the recognition it rightfully deserved.

Last edited by Orgoth; 10-26-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Orgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009   #2
Drogdar
The one and only.

Drogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Last Remnant

My Gf plays... she is a huge Square Enix fan.

I like the idea and the story... but I hate anything related to turn based play with the exception of Star Wars: KOTAR and "v.a.t.s." in fallout 3.

(Actually... my fave game atm is metal slug 3. Finally got to the third level O_o)

(also... did you ever get a gaming machine going?)

Quote:
Originally Said by foxy View Post
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Originally Said by YouKnowWhoYouAre
Ah well, she knows she's a bitch.
Drogdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009   #3
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Orgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart god

No, I'm still in the market for one, but just not right now.
Old 10-30-2009   #4
Drogdar
The one and only.

Drogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond repute

ah... well...

for a budget built you could get away with about $650 (with shipping) and it would play anything out there.

Quote:
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Old 10-31-2009   #5
CrunchBite
explosions are half all the fun

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine

I've completed that game about 80%of the way. I'm a side quest whore, so it is taking forever. If you have a system that can crank out the premium graphics then the game is beautiful with a good soundtrack to boot. Though the Physx features tend to fuck up every once and a while (like the ears on the gecko things being possessed). I need to pick it up again; I got sucked back into Trackmania United Forever instead (mostly cause I'm really good at it).
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009   #6
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Quote:
Originally Said by CrunchBite View Post
I've completed that game about 80%of the way. I'm a side quest whore, so it is taking forever. If you have a system that can crank out the premium graphics then the game is beautiful with a good soundtrack to boot. Though the Physx features tend to fuck up every once and a while (like the ears on the gecko things being possessed). I need to pick it up again; I got sucked back into Trackmania United Forever instead (mostly cause I'm really good at it).
Install it to your hard drive, you'll notice a drastic reduce in loading times.
Old 10-31-2009   #7
Drogdar
The one and only.

Quote:
Originally Said by Orgoth View Post
Install it to your hard drive, you'll notice a drastic reduce in loading times.

Uh... what? O_o

why/how would he not have a game installed on his pc hard drive?

I can only assume you are playing it on Sucksbox 360 and Crunch is playing it on PC (for free).

Quote:
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Old 11-01-2009   #8
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Quote:
Originally Said by Drogdar View Post
Uh... what? O_o

why/how would he not have a game installed on his pc hard drive?

I can only assume you are playing it on Sucksbox 360 and Crunch is playing it on PC (for free).
Wait. The Lost Remnant is a PC game?
Old 11-01-2009   #9
Drogdar
The one and only.

yea....

most 360 games are on PC...

Quote:
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Old 11-01-2009   #10
CrunchBite

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine

Quote:
yea....

most 360 games are on PC...
What he said. PC usually trumps consoles.
Old 11-01-2009   #11
Orgoth
Mod In Training

I only have a crappy Acer, so I wouldn't know.
Old 11-01-2009   #12
Drogdar
The one and only.

Unzip these two files and click on the internet page.... that is a "wishlist" comp for $650 that will cream anything you find in a store... It will play any game out there (max settings), and you could add another vid card down the road if you need more vid power.... very budget (I wouldn't skimp on the motherboard if your going to run two cards). (also... I would throw in another case fan on the door... that way you'd have one for the cpu and one for the video card. that case is awesome for the price... I used one for a server and one for another budget gamer I built)

Tell me what cha think

(if you need I could put it together for you and have you pay me after you get it... member, its almost christmas time ^_^)
Attached Files
File Type: zip TemporaryWishList.aspx_files.zip (140.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: zip TemporaryWishList.aspx.zip (14.4 KB, 2 views)

Quote:
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Old 11-01-2009   #13
CrunchBite

I would shy away from an Nvidia based mobo. Haven't heard to much positive things about them. Especially since everything else is ATI/AMD.
Old 11-02-2009   #14
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Quote:
Unzip these two files and click on the internet page.... that is a "wishlist" comp for $650 that will cream anything you find in a store... It will play any game out there (max settings), and you could add another vid card down the road if you need more vid power.... very budget (I wouldn't skimp on the motherboard if your going to run two cards). (also... I would throw in another case fan on the door... that way you'd have one for the cpu and one for the video card. that case is awesome for the price... I used one for a server and one for another budget gamer I built)

Tell me what cha think

(if you need I could put it together for you and have you pay me after you get it... member, its almost christmas time ^_^)
I need to find work first, once I do and get money coming in, I'll make sure to take you up on your offer.

Also is the Phenom chip set all that it's hyped up to be?
Old 11-02-2009   #15
CrunchBite

Phenom will not outperform the most recent Intel offerings, but the performance for your dollar is incredible (even phenominal). I slapped together a similar system for my family, even Vista is snappy on it.
Old 11-04-2009   #16
Drogdar
The one and only.

Phenoms are good... the new atholon (sp? dont care) II is awesome too... for $100 it rocks.

Crunch 8/10 computers I build are Nvidia boards O_o

The thing you overlooked is EVGA.... AND their awesome lifetime warranty. If Evga made ATI/AMD boards I'd use them more O_o

Quote:
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Old 11-06-2009   #17
CrunchBite

Alright then, everyone I know seems to get the short end on Nvidia. However you are offering the possibility of a future dual GPU but are starting out with an ATI GPU in an SLI board. Unless I missed the memo on Nvidia supporting Crossfire, I think that is a little odd.

Either way, when somebody gets their new custom build desktop it really feels like all that and a bag of chips.
Old 11-06-2009   #18
Drogdar
The one and only.

HA! Your absolutely right...

I put this together in about 12 mins.... so yea... Orgoth, when your ready let me know and I will put one together for you right

Quote:
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Old 11-06-2009   #19
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Sounds like a plan, it'll probably be some time in February after I get my tax return.