Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discussion related to technology, computers, and the internet.

Old 12-11-2009   #21
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My Computer Breakthrough

I shouldn't have been trying to OC my Phenom anyway. They get notoriously unstable. I wish the factory clock speed was a little higher :(

The Core i3 is a dual core clocked at 2.9GHz. For $150. WTB?!
Old 01-25-2010   #22
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Got my phenom x4 up to 2.9GHz, still stable and idling at 35 degrees on air. I didn't adjust the vCore at all (it's 1.29v or something right now - can't check because I'm at work, but it struck me as a little low). If I push it up to 1.35v i should be able to push my cpu clock even higher...question though. My memory is clocked at 1333MHz right now. It's not overclocked. I changed the ratio so it wouldn't increase the memory clock when I increased the FSB frequency. Will my system become unstable if I start trying to OC the RAM? And is the procedure the same as OCing my cpu? That is, change it in BIOS, boot, run a stress test and watch temperate and performance, and then tweak according to those results...or are there other things I should be concerned about?
Old 01-28-2010   #23
Drogdar
The one and only.

Drogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. My memory is factory rated at 1000 mhz and I can't break 1020 mhz (even bumping the cas up to 5 or even 6 timings). It is very close to the cpu... I usually don't bother with watching the temp.

when adjusting the volts (on ram or cpu) it is best to up it by .01 or the lowest increment your bios will let you. Also, look up your max vcore... I wouldn't run it at the max myself, you will greatly reduce the life of the chip... its not worth running it .5 ghz faster if you have to destroy it.

(edit - don't waste your time with an i3... i wouldn't even bother with an i5 or any other 1156 socket [or whatever it is])

Quote:
Originally Said by foxy View Post
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Originally Said by YouKnowWhoYouAre
Ah well, she knows she's a bitch.
Drogdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010   #24
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Alright I'll try that with my vCore. It shows in BIOS what max settings are, it's 1.65V or something like that. I'm at 1.405V now.

Quote:
Originally Said by Drogdar View Post
(edit - don't waste your time with an i3... i wouldn't even bother with an i5 or any other 1156 socket [or whatever it is])
Why? I love Intel. i3 and i5 are the going to replace the Core 2 line.
Old 01-30-2010   #25
Drogdar
The one and only.

Drogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond repute

in laptops there fine... but an i5 is almost as much as an i7 and the i5 isn't a 1366. The i9 and later chips will use the 1366 and the lower end chips will use the 1156. Even tho the i7 destroys anything amd has to offer I wish they would just use one socket... but that wouldn't be as profitable....

(also, look up what amd says the max is... my bios will let me go way above what the cpu can handle

Quote:
Originally Said by foxy View Post
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote:
Originally Said by YouKnowWhoYouAre
Ah well, she knows she's a bitch.
Drogdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #26
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Can you explain how socket type effects your decision on a cpu? I don't fully understand.

Also you might find this article interesting

Last edited by MudPuppet; 02-01-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Thoughtcrime is offline   Reply With Quote