Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 06-21-2004   #1
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy
why are you voting for kerry?

i can't understand why anyone is voting for john kerry. maybe it is that i am that dead set on voting for bush or i may have a point. as i see it kerry has raised the most money out of any other presidential hopefull but the man has no views. all he has said was that i won't do what bush does. that's kinda vague right? he has not even hinted at what his plans are. that is if he has any other than campaigning for funds.
the man asks sen. john mccain to be his VP. mccain being republican, that would cause a bipartisan ticket. and when mccain says no, kerry says he didn't really ask mccain because he didn't want anyone else to think who he picks would be his second choice.
now it sounds like kerry wants to play the sidelines and not take any action. i mean seriously if the man has been stalling to make his presidentail plans public then how can we as americans expect him to make fast decisions as a president?

i will almost positively be voting for bush and you may ask me why i am voting that way. and i will answer that i know bush will act. whether his actions are right or wrong i can't say. i don't have the information that he does. but he, as of right now, has my vote because i know he can act and kerry has shown me that he will drag his decisions out too long.

but then i think hey anyway this election goes i will be happy. why? because 1) I know that nader cannot win. 2)bush wins i am happy. 3)kerry wins and it screws up hillary's plans for running in '08. i can't stand that women!

again i am not trying to force my opinions on the issue. i am just stating them as respectfully as i know how, and i asking for others to respond, not with counter examinations of my opinions, but with their own opinions on the presidential race.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #2
HolokittyNX
Banned

Location: Southern California, but I might move back to Earth one day.
HolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond repute
Re: why are you voting for kerry?

Because Kerry couldn't do more damage to this country than Bush if he tried.
HolokittyNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #3
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute

based on what? state your full opinion. you have jotted down a fragment of a sentence and managed not to say a thing at all. explain yourself or don't post.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
Old 06-21-2004   #4
Chi-Master
Experienced Member

Chi-Master should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to Chi-Master Send a message via Yahoo to Chi-Master

Wannna bet? Kerry has no foreign policy also the fact as poopy stated he has no views. By doing nothing he will do more harm then good. Also he wants to raise taxes even more, it will put me in a higher tax bracket fuck that. Lemme ask you something do you pay taxes? I work hard for my money, why should a size able chunk of my pay check go to those on welfare who do not have any intention of job? There are so many things wrong with the current state of welfare and how our tax money is spent. If you want a tax hike you are more than welcome to pay my taxes because I don't want to pay as much as I am going to have too if Kerry is elected

"Lucky in cards unlucky in love"

Rising from the ashes like the True Phoenix

Chi-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #5
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

I think she's referring to the smoking craters and desolate stretches of barren wasteland that Bush created. Bush really did destroy the country; I mean, my damn house fell over because of that guy. And my dog vomited, all because of Bush.

Sarcasm aside, Bush inherited an economic slowdown from Clinton, and now the stock and job markets are beginning to recover, supposedly thanks to Bush's economic policy. Bush gets blamed, though, because the slowdown began very shortly before he was elected, and because the economy is big and sluggish, it took most of his term for his policy to have any effect. So, despite what the frequently short-sighted media seems to believe, Bush may have actually been good for the economy.

Last edited by Yugoloth; 06-21-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #6
Penie
i love kali more than carrots

Penie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Penie

well bush is an asshole and an idiot. and punk songs and michael moore tell me not to vote for him.

it seems you have a choice between an asshole or a sphincter this election, which is a shame, but i'm sure he'll represent america (not really, you're all lovely)
Penie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #7
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

yugoloth, for the economy to right itself it does take time and if 9/11 didn't crash the market and it took this long i would be mad but honestly, look at history. how many times did the stock market crash and how long did it take to get better? it crashed twice earlier last century and the opened the door for the great depression. it lasted over 10 years. and if i recall it crashed in the early 80's. that was a recession as well. i mean if the stock market can crash and not cause a long drawnout recession or depression i got to say i am happy.
Old 06-21-2004   #8
mike
Old & Wise Member

mike is a glorious beacon of lightmike is a glorious beacon of lightmike is a glorious beacon of lightmike is a glorious beacon of lightmike is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to mike Send a message via AIM to mike Send a message via MSN to mike Send a message via Yahoo to mike

Kerry is supposedly raising minimum wage about $1.85, so I don't mind and he has my support.
Old 06-21-2004   #9
SpudNuts
Just Bubblin'

SpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to SpudNuts

Is that to $1.85 or by $1.85?

I'm not american, I don't know your minimum wage.
SpudNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #10
jchen927

jchen927 will become famous soon enough

probably raising it by 1.85
jchen927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #11
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

I am definitely not voting for Kerry. He has talked about almost nothing that he is going to do, and what he has talked about is raising taxes and undoing a lot of what Bush has done. Like it or not, Bush HAS helped the economy. And 'Bush is an asshole' is the only argument I've heard against how terrible he is for the country.

All that Kerry is doing is saying 'well, Bush is bad and I'm not going to do what Bush did.' What do you mean? What GOOD are you going to do the country? I hate elections because of the mudslinging, but when almost all a hopeful candidate does is insult the other party, why vote for them?
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #12
jchen927

jchen927 will become famous soon enough

let's see some great accomplishments of bush:
- has taken the longest vacation, even with all this stuff goin on
- lowered the employment rate by a lot
- tried to stop terrorism by starting a war (yeah cuz that's possible)
jchen927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004   #13
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by jchen927
- lowered the employment rate by a lot
Employment rate is up due to the good economy. Employment rate had been at a steady decline before Bush got in office. The economy PERIOD was at a recession before Bush took office, and he even said that on his campaign trail and talked about how he was going to fix it.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-22-2004   #14
Penie
i love kali more than carrots

Penie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Penie

like it or not, the 'bush is an asshole' argum,ent holds water. do you really want someone as stupid, moronic and down right uneducated (really, i mean REAL education, not just a list of schools that ol' georgey didnt pay attention in) running your country?
Penie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #15
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

jchen927, i'd like to know how you would handle terrorism if you wouldn't attack the nation or nations that harbor terrorism. and as i understand it the unemployment rate is going down now.
cowboy jew might have a good point, if bush hasn't already been running the country for 4 years. and to tell you the truth i personally haven't noticed a change to my daily life from politics durring his term or the one before it.
i mean picking kerry over bush is like being on a game show. lets say the price is right. bush is a dining room set. some people like to get a new dinning room set but others don't really care. they would rather have a car. but what they are doing is picking the mystery box. and don't get me wrong, the mystery box may have a set of keys to a new car in it or it could be an old dead fish. and all i want to know is why would anyone want to make such a wager especially when they can walk away a winner? i mean based on the facts that we have, kerry is going to raise taxes, act slower than a sloth, and do everything he can to undo what bush has done. he sounds like an old dead fish to me.

hmmmm maybe there is a demand for old dead fish in our country.
Old 06-22-2004   #16
HolokittyNX
Banned

HolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond repute

I put civil liberties ahead of everything else, and no government should be allowed to exist without doing the same. The Bush administration has zero respect for them. None. Not on gay marriage, not on religious freedom, not on privacy. If this country turns into what he wants it to be, I won't care about terrorism. Why defend a theocracy? Oh, wait. That's kind of a backwards question. You don't defend theocracies. You dismantle them.

I don't agree with Kerry on everything, and some of the concerns about him are valid. But my concerns about Bush are greater. He's a proven theocrat, and he and his supporters have essentially declared war on my way of life. Kerry's wrong on gay marriage too, but he's less wrong. And his hand can be forced, as most of his supporters are more liberal than he is and unlike Bush he actually cares whether he's doing what they want.

I can understand not voting for Kerry. I can't understand voting for Bush. He has no concept of what America is or why it's worth defending. His approach to terrorism is a nuclear hand grenade. We're getting more and more involved in a region of the world from which we should have extricated our interests decades ago. We're giving the most cancerous, destructive culture that ever existed a level of importance and influence it could not possibly deserve. We need to get out of there and let Arab society rot until it can find the drive within itself to be more than it is.

Last edited by HolokittyNX; 06-22-2004 at 04:49 PM. Reason: .
Old 06-22-2004   #17
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

First of all, on privacy, are you talking about the Patriot Act? See, the good thing about acts and laws in this country are that they come up for review or renewal. You can change laws if need be. I don't like the ideas of privacy and freedom taken away, but if it's not permanent I'm not going to bitch.

Second, Bush does have the idea that gay marriage should be illegal, and he even wants to put that as part of an amendment to the constitution. That's never going to pass though, and what with Massachusetts making gay marriage legal I think that's just a beginning, and no matter what Bush wants gay marriage will be legalized eventually.

As for extricating ourselves from the Mideast...I think that would have been a huge mistake. I know there were weapons of mass destruction...there was EVIDENCE of them, but no actual weapons, which wasn't even talked about much in the news at all. Notice the amount of time that there was between when it was asked to go in and inspect for weapons and when it actually happened? Think there was time to move incriminating things? Hell yes.

The only thing that is usually televised about Iraq is the terrible things happening there. And there are indeed terrible things happening there, but we HAVE done good over there. Kids are going to school where they never got to before, people are getting freedoms they haven't had in a long time.

I think that leaving them alone would have been a huge mistake and although there have been problems over there that should not have happened, going over there was not one of the mess ups.

Last edited by Jenn and tonic; 06-22-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2004   #18
HolokittyNX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Said by kittydragon105
First of all, on privacy, are you talking about the Patriot Act? See, the good thing about acts and laws in this country are that they come up for review or renewal. You can change laws if need be. I don't like the ideas of privacy and freedom taken away, but if it's not permanent I'm not going to bitch.
"Those who would sacrifice essential freedoms for temporary safety deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
Second, Bush does have the idea that gay marriage should be illegal, and he even wants to put that as part of an amendment to the constitution. That's never going to pass though, and what with Massachusetts making gay marriage legal I think that's just a beginning, and no matter what Bush wants gay marriage will be legalized eventually.
No, Bush can't stop it on his own. But he helps conservatives gain more control over the legislatures and courts that can stop it.

Quote:
As for extricating ourselves from the Mideast...I think that would have been a huge mistake. I know there were weapons of mass destruction...there was EVIDENCE of them, but no actual weapons, which wasn't even talked about much in the news at all. Notice the amount of time that there was between when it was asked to go in and inspect for weapons and when it actually happened? Think there was time to move incriminating things? Hell yes.
I mean we should have extricated ourselves before it came to this. But even now, there's no evidence that Hussein has anything we should really be worried about, or that he was in league with Al-Quaida. I don't agree with the silly idea of calling biological or chemical weapons 'weapons of mass destruction.' They're not. Sure they're scary, but they're less effective than most conventional weapons and certainly not worth mentioning in the same breath as nuclear weapons. How much effort went into deploying that anthrax here in the US? And how many died? Was it even half a dozen? Any thug with a Mossberg M9 would have done better. And he didn't have nukes or the ability to build them.

Quote:
The only thing that is usually televised about Iraq is the terrible things happening there. And there are indeed terrible things happening there, but we HAVE done good over there. Kids are going to school where they never got to before, people are getting freedoms they haven't had in a long time.
Yes. But thousands of civilians have been killed too. And we're still buddy-buddy with the Saudis, when any incursion into the Middle East should have started with the destruction of their regime.

Quote:
I think that leaving them alone would have been a huge mistake and although there have been problems over there that should not have happened, going over there was not one of the mess ups.
Hussein wasn't in league with the terrorists (and even if you think he was, surely you recognize that the Saudis are helping them even more). Why? Because he's not just an asshole. He's a narcissistic asshole who doesn't want to share the spotlight with Allah the way these terrorist clerics do. He can't play the religious leader role because he's not one.
Old 06-23-2004   #19
shahrul
cool guy

shahrul is doing greatshahrul is doing great
Send a message via Yahoo to shahrul

i hate Bush!!!coz,he alwayz make a decision without hearing people's opinion..........f*#k him!!!!!....
forget this post but not the sender........

me,myself,and i....
shahrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004   #20
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

holokittynx, while i think you have stated several points (a lot of which i could disput) all you have done is post points on why not to vote on bush. you have stated very little on why to vote for another candidate or to even vote at all.
and yes, i did see the points you made for kerry but his only point you addressed basically was the gay marriage point you made against bush. and while that one point may be enough for your vote, you do seem educated enough and aware enough to analyze politics to your own standards. and while you may vote for kerry without the knowledge of his politics, be aware that they may be quite a significantly worse amount than bush's.