Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 02-19-2004   #1
Deuxmakina
Well Known Member

Deuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to behold
Jesus: The Messiah or just another liar...

What about Jesus, was He another false prophet or was He the real deal?
Did He really died the way it is described in The Bible or is it just
another fable?
Is He the son of God?, or is he just another well intentioned person like
Gandhi, Mahoma, Buda, Confucio or any other wise man.
Did He had to die in a cross for our sins?
Was He turned into a pulp of bloody flesh just because He tought He was right?
Or because He wanted to save you.

Do you think that a man has to return to the womb of his mother to reborn?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (60.7 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Deuxmakina; 02-19-2004 at 01:11 AM.
Deuxmakina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #2
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
Re: Jesus: The Messiah or just another liar...

its a great thing to do to try and save you.

but no one lived then. who's to say No. or Why not?
this is really though something i dont want touch. just because.
that's all i'll say.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #3
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55

im not sure...if there really is something in the end...i think its just based on how you acted...not whether you put your faith into a certain god or religion or person, but really how you followed the golden rule. i dont think any god would punish people for growing up in a religion, and not getting the chance to experience any other kind. so, i dont think jesus really truly determines whether we go to heaven.

(!!i hope i dont burn in hell for saying that!!)

RubberDucky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #4
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

I believe he was the real deal. However, I can understand how Jews do not (Jesus certainly doesn't fulfill the Old Testament prophecies). And I can understand how many other people don't believe.

I've been on the atheist side, but now I'm back in the believing camp. I can't really explain why--part of it has to do with my being a contrarian (when a lot of people start saying one thing, I tend to go in the opposite direction), and part of it has to do with the belief being comforting.

If other religious threads are any indicator, this will probably get messy. Maybe not, though, since it's a more specific topic.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #5
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55

Quote:
Originally Said by cstoll
If other religious threads are any indicator, this will probably get messy. Maybe not, though, since it's a more specific topic.
ya, people should try to stay on topic this time.

(so im a hypocrit, what else is new)

RubberDucky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #6
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

i think i have made myself clear that i am a believer. i would argue that if there is no god and higher purpose then we aren't here for any reason and that makes no sense to me. too many things fit together for this all to be a big coincidence. and i am not contained to my specific nook of religion. i believe there are people not in my religion that have or have had divine words to write.
but i do believe we all have an inherant view of what's write or wrong and i think a lot of us ignore that. I think when you don't do what you feel to be right in your heart is what we will all be judged on. as for christ, i can't really say why i believe. maybe i have been conditioned from a young age and maybe the religious choice i have taken is a great choice from stand points that aren't even religious. there are a lot of values tossed out the window and a lot of values that are currently in swing for tossing and religion and christ helps put values back in my life.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #7
verilon

verilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to verilon

Quote:
Originally Said by Deuxmakina
Propet of what, exactly? I don't believe in the Judeo-Christian god, so I don't know if I can properly answer this.

Quote:
another fable?
IIRC, the crucifixion was real.. whether I believe it is is irrelevant. It either happened or did not.

Quote:
Is He the son of God?, or is he just another well intentioned person like Gandhi, Mahoma, Buda, Confucio or any other wise man.
No, and yes, respectively.

Quote:
Don't believe in sin, so no.

Quote:
Was He turned into a pulp of bloody flesh just because He tought He was right? Or because He wanted to save you.
I cannot, in good conscience, believe someone lived 2000 years ago to save me from for a lying, cheating, stealing, murderous god that I don't believe in, and have yet to have any reason to believe in.

Quote:
I think rebirth can be subjective. In a literal sense, yes, but in idiomatic terms, of course not.
Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides, and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. Then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire--
--Teilhard de Chardin
--> CLICK ME!! <--

Last edited by verilon; 02-19-2004 at 05:02 AM.
verilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #8
krashkitten
peace, love, unity, respect -

Location: Wherever I happen to be...which is currently Athens, AL
krashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to krashkitten Send a message via AIM to krashkitten Send a message via MSN to krashkitten Send a message via Yahoo to krashkitten

Quote:
That's a matter of opinion. I don't think he was a false prophet; he was, indeed, a prophet and I doubt he himself believed there was anything false about what he said. Either he was really crazy, a prophet or the Son of God.

Quote:
Did He really died the way it is described in The Bible or is it just another fable?
This point has been argued by skeptics and critics. It's possible that he didn't return from the dead but it's very likely that he was, indeed, crucified. In fact, I don't see any reason to believe otherwise - crucifixion(sp?) was a very popular form of carrying out the death sentence back there.
As far as the being risen part, very few people saw Jesus after he was claimed as 'risen'. It's possible that some of his desperate followers stole the body from the tomb - a lot of skeptics believe that - and a sparse few of them claimed to see him alive and well. And though the portrayal of Him returning to heaven is often shown with lots of people watching, according to the Bible very few people actually saw the ascension.

Quote:
Is He the son of God?, or is he just another well intentioned person like Gandhi, Mahoma, Buda, Confucio or any other wise man.

It all depends on what you believe. Christians will tell you yes, he was the son of God. I will tell you he was, at the very least, a well-intentioned prophet who had the right idea. (To quote the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, he was 'nailed to a tree just for saying how great of an idea it would be to be nice to everyone'.) He was turned into a bloody pulp because people are ASSHOLES. People have always been assholes and they like to prosecute someone who thinks differently from them.
As far as the womb thing... no, I don't believe that. To be 'reborn' is to be changed. To turn over a new leaf, etc.

Also, not commenting on anything else, back then to be a virgin was to be unmarried, unless you were an adulteress. Mary was not, and she wouldn't want to admit to being one. So.
Luke 14:26
1 Timothy 2:11-2:15

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it." - Aurthur Dent, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Quote:
"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex." - Edgar Wallace

krashkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #9
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Quote:
another fable?
Is He the son of God?, or is he just another well intentioned person like
Gandhi, Mahoma, Buda, Confucio or any other wise man.

I think he was the real deal.

Definetley think it was real.

Yep and no, respectively.

Yes.

Because he wanted to save us. There is evidence to show that his beating was so horrible that no man could have lived through it. The answer? It was the spirit of God the willed him to live because he had to die on the cross for us.

Cstoll, what old testament prohecies does Jesus not fufill?

[QUOTE=verilon]
I cannot, in good conscience, believe someone lived 2000 years ago to save me from for a lying, cheating, stealing, murderous god that I don't believe in, and have yet to have any reason to believe in.
[/QUOTE]

How is my God lying cheating stealing or muderous?
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004   #10
verilon

verilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
How is my God lying cheating stealing or muderous?
In that he does not have to abide by the same commandments that he gave Moses.
Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides, and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. Then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire--
--Teilhard de Chardin
--> CLICK ME!! <--

Old 02-19-2004   #11
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Bleed Black
Cstoll, what old testament prohecies does Jesus not fufill?
Understand that I don't necessarily agree with this. For one thing, I read the Bible liberally, not literally. Second, I believe he was the real deal. I'm just saying that I understand why Jews would think this.

For anyone who's interested, I found this decent site: http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/explanation03.html

Some of the prophecies involved imply that the Messiah would have children, live a long life, would bring peace (whereas Jesus states "Don’t think that I came to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.").

The prophecies not fulfilled by Jesus are often explained by the reply "That will all happen at the Second Coming." This isn't satisfactory to Jews for a number of reasons, some of them being the contradictions that occur within the New Testament (not only those contradictions that would change Judaism, but contradictions between the Gospel writers as well).

And Verilon: Have you ever read Bruce Bawer? If not, I think you might like his writing.

--Blackadder
Old 02-19-2004   #12
verilon

Quote:
And Verilon: Have you ever read Bruce Bawer? If not, I think you might like his writing.
Never heard of him.
--Teilhard de Chardin
--> CLICK ME!! <--

Old 02-20-2004   #13
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Understand that I don't necessarily agree with this. For one thing, I read the Bible liberally, not literally. Second, I believe he was the real deal. I'm just saying that I understand why Jews would think this.

For anyone who's interested, I found this decent site: http://www.whatjewsbelieve.org/explanation03.html

Some of the prophecies involved imply that the Messiah would have children, live a long life, would bring peace (whereas Jesus states "Don’t think that I came to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.").

The prophecies not fulfilled by Jesus are often explained by the reply "That will all happen at the Second Coming." This isn't satisfactory to Jews for a number of reasons, some of them being the contradictions that occur within the New Testament (not only those contradictions that would change Judaism, but contradictions between the Gospel writers as well).

Could you maybe give me specific verses?

Quote:
Originally Said by verilon
In that he does not have to abide by the same commandments that he gave Moses.
Would you tell me the one that stands out the most to you?
Old 02-20-2004   #14
cstoll
?!

Quote:
Could you maybe give me specific verses?
Of why Jews believe Jesus didn't fulfill Old Testament prophecies? That webpage does a decent job. Here are a few excerpts from it:
  1. The Messiah is preceded by Elijah the prophet who, with the Messiah, unifies the family (Malachi 4:5-6), which is contradicted by Jesus in Matthew 10:34-37.
  2. The Messiah re-establishes the Davidic dynasty through the messiah's own children (Daniel 7:13-14). But Jesus had no children.
  3. The Messiah brings an eternal peace between all nations, between all peoples, and between all people (Isaiah 2:2-4; Micah 4:1-4; Ezekiel 39:9). Obviously there is no peace. Furthermore, Jesus said that his purpose in coming was to bring a sword, and not peace (see Matthew 10:34.)
And the contradicitons between Gospel writers merely illustrate that men wrote them...that they supplied different versions of Jesus' story.
Just one example:
Mark makes Jesus a carpenter. Matthew states that Jesus was the son of a carpenter. Mark surrounds Jesus in mystery. He has Jesus explain that his parables are meant to confuse the people about his teachings. He also tells his followers not to tell others of his miracles or even himself (1:24; 1:34; 1:44; 3:12; 5:43; 8:30 and others as well).
Matthew makes more sense, having Jesus explain that the parables help elucidate his teachings.

--Blackadder
Old 02-20-2004   #15
HauntedMike
fear the hangover fairy

Location: Monifieth, Round-the-corner-from-the-place, Scotland
HauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divine
Send a message via MSN to HauntedMike Send a message via Yahoo to HauntedMike

Being an atheist, I reckon that yes the man existed, and that he was indeed along the lines of Ghandi, etc. I really don't buy into any God or deity creating us... I believe we are a chance occurance. Random combination of chemicals. That is all.

Our purpose?

Do we need one? Really?

Maybe... I think our purpose could be this; really simple:

JUST LIVE.

-Mike
Old 02-20-2004   #16
verilon

Quote:
Would you tell me the one that stands out the most to you?
The first that comes to mind is, "Thou shalt not kill."

And di you know Jesus broke the commandment "Thou shalt honor thy father and thy mother" when he stayed at the temple against his parents' wishes?
--Teilhard de Chardin
--> CLICK ME!! <--

Old 02-25-2004   #17
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

You see the same rules do not apply to God. For example, our rules of science say that nobody can create matter out of nothing. But God can.
Old 02-25-2004   #18
verilon

Quote:
You see the same rules do not apply to God.
Why? Why is it that God can kill but we cannot? He can lie, but we cannot? He can dishonor his parents, but we cannot?
--Teilhard de Chardin
--> CLICK ME!! <--

Old 02-25-2004   #19
cstoll
?!

I don't have hard time buying why God is allowed to kill and we are not, but I do have a hard time buying why God seems so bloodthirsty in the Bible.

Numbers 31:
Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."
This was an order to Moses to "take vengeance" on the Midianites. Moses took vengeance with over 12,000 soldiers. The Israelites killed all the men, burned the towns and camps and took all the women and children as prisoners.

It seems hard for me to resolve the contradictory images of God presented in the Bible. For instance, a simple question like "Can God change his mind?" cannot be resolved:
He doesnt:
Mal. 3:6. For I am the Lord; I change not. Num. 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent. (Ezek. 24:14; James 1:17)
He does:
Ex. 32:14. And the Lord repented of the evil which he had thought to do unto his people. (Gen. 6:6; Jonah 3:10; Sam. 2:30-31; II Kings 20:1-6; Num. 16:20-35)

--Blackadder
Old 02-26-2004   #20
verilon

Quote:
I don't have hard time buying why God is allowed to kill and we are not, but I do have a hard time buying why God seems so bloodthirsty in the Bible.
Forgive me, but if he's all-loving as he says he supposedly is, then why does he kill in the first place? Why does he condemn when he tells us to love each other as we would ourselves? How can he be all-powerful if he cannot lie? These are the things I ponder when I debate Christianity.. Furthermore, what makes it uniquely legitimate among religions and the lack thereof?

Quote:
Numbers 31:
"Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man."
This was an order to Moses to "take vengeance" on the Midianites. Moses took vengeance with over 12,000 soldiers. The Israelites killed all the men, burned the towns and camps and took all the women and children as prisoners.
He also ordered Abraham to kill Isaac.

Quote:
It seems hard for me to resolve the contradictory images of God presented in the Bible. For instance, a simple question like "Can God change his mind?" cannot be resolved:
He doesnt:
Mal. 3:6. For I am the Lord; I change not. Num. 23:19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent. (Ezek. 24:14; James 1:17)
He does:
Ex. 32:14. And the Lord repented of the evil which he had thought to do unto his people. (Gen. 6:6; Jonah 3:10; Sam. 2:30-31; II Kings 20:1-6; Num. 16:20-35)
If I remember right, there is a point in Hezekiah in which he states that Hezekiah would die, and then he states that he would not..
--Teilhard de Chardin
--> CLICK ME!! <--