Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Music

Music Discuss the latest in music. Talk about your favorite or most hated bands and artists. Music theory, tabs, and your recordings also go here.

Old 09-22-2003   #1
sazzle
I hate you all.

sazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to sazzle
Is it true??? Kazaa can wreck ur computer?

I heard that the spyware in kazaa can really shit ur computer up by messing with ur firewall, how do u get rid of the spyware? HELP!
Old 09-22-2003   #2
homebrew
Very Experienced Member

homebrew is just really nicehomebrew is just really nice
Re: Is it true??? Kazaa can wreck ur computer?

i believe that wont connect if you have your firewall enable. but yeah it can mess up your pc because it install more than one program. p2p, kazaa and others. i prefer winmx.
Old 09-22-2003   #3
Dg
Old & Wise Member

Dg is a knight of Almost SmartDg is a knight of Almost SmartDg is a knight of Almost SmartDg is a knight of Almost Smart

use kazza lite. like kazza but without spyware :D
Christ, how many suicidal people do you know?! I mean, I've met a couple, but I never really pay attention to them because I figure if they were really suicidal, they'd be killing themselves instead of whining. It's the quiet ones you gotta worry about...
Dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003   #4
A de Greko
Trainee Member

A de Greko is infamous around these partsA de Greko is infamous around these parts

YES!!!THIS IS TRUE!!!MY PC WAS WRECKED BY KAZAA!!!THERE IS NOT ONLY KAZAA THAT IS INSTALLED BUT AND SOME OTHER PROGRAMS...ALSO IF U NOTICED,WHEN U WERE IN KAZAA YOUR HARD DISK WAS RUNNING WITHOUT REASON!I WOULD RECOMMEND U NOT TO INSTALL KAZAA LITE TOO...I DON'T KNOW BUT I THINK THE BEST PERSON TO ASK FOR IS Weasel.SEE YA!
*A de Greko*
A de Greko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003   #5
kyle
Lawl ^^

kyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kyle Send a message via MSN to kyle Send a message via Yahoo to kyle Send a message via Skype™ to kyle

yea i got rid of kazaa this morning instead i got lime wire its a lot better i think
Old 09-22-2003   #6
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

kazaa lite has LESS spyware than regular kazaa. it still has some and you can remove spyware with a program, whose name escapes me right now. spyware and java(the computer language used in p2p programs) takes up ram and operating space causing yoouuuurr coommppuuttteeerrr ttttooo pprrrooooogggggrrrressssiiiivvvveeeeeellllllyyyyyy y gggggeeeeeetttttt sssslllloooowwwwwweeerrrr.
spyware can be removed with the use of a program, whose name escapes me at this time. and java is only a temporary slowing of your computer.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003   #7
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

im pretty sure addaware(?) can get rid of spyware but i cant remeber where to get it.........
Old 09-23-2003   #8
jayhay0
Old & Wise Member

jayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jayhay0

happened to mine too :

CTRL ALT DLT
check the "processes" tab.

if you have a program called " DLLHOST.EXE " - thats the bug that eats away at your hard drive.

Just delete it however you choose, and your pc will be fine.
Old 09-23-2003   #9
Gerbil 01
Bite me bitch!!

Gerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Gerbil 01 Send a message via Yahoo to Gerbil 01

kazaa lite can't keep the RIAA or any other organization. As stated before, all kazaa lite is, in a sense, kazaa, without an overwhelming amount of spyware/adware. Kazaa will operate from behind a filewall, but a few adjustments need to be made to allow it to function properly. Mine has been running behind a firewall for over a year with no problems what-so-ever.

About kazaa slowing down your pc, or accessing the hard drive even when it's not downloading anything... think of this: Kazaa doesn't slow your pc down anymore than just being on the net for the same amount of time, and accessing alot of different websites. Your pc slows down from unnecessary programs/files that are stored on your pc while it's connected on the net, mostly cookies or temporary internet files. You should always delete temporary internet files, and cookies as well, at least once or twice a month to keep your pc operating near it's fullest potential. Kazaa is constantly updating the information when it's active to keep you informed of how many people are online and how many files are being shared. That's why you notice hard drive activity when it's open, and not downloading anything.

On the divx bit... there's a zip file on kazaa lite's website that has all the most recent codecs that windows media player uses for playing files. Kazaa uses windows media player in it's 'theater' as well. Once that codec packet is installed, it should play most files in 'theater' and in windows media player without any problems. As far as not being able to play mp3's, that codec packet may fix that depending on what version of media player you have, but it's not a guarantee.

"Laughing at the ignorant, gullible, delusional, stupid, whining, and self righteous assholes... since 1982." *

*Disclaimer - If you read the above statement, and it offends you, then you'll know I'm not laughing with you, I'm laughing at you.*
Gerbil 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003   #10
sazzle
I hate you all.

sazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond repute

how can u tell if u habve spyware, how do u get rid of it?
Old 09-24-2003   #11
Gerbil 01
Bite me bitch!!

Gerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond repute

best way is to save all your important files, make sure you have all your drivers for your computer, format, and then reload windows and everything else.

"Laughing at the ignorant, gullible, delusional, stupid, whining, and self righteous assholes... since 1982." *

*Disclaimer - If you read the above statement, and it offends you, then you'll know I'm not laughing with you, I'm laughing at you.*
Old 09-24-2003   #12
Mr Stabby

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

thats a bit extreme gerbil, but that is a last alternative...sazzel the best way to deal with spyware is too download a program called addaware(i think thats whats it called, use yahoo or google etc to find it), this will find most pieces of spyware on your computer and you have the option to delete it then.....try this before going to the drastic means of reloading your computer....hope this helps........
Old 09-24-2003   #13
Gerbil 01
Bite me bitch!!

Extreme yes, but every computer needs to be formated and reloaded at least once or twice a year minimum if it's an everyday computer. There's so much stuff that any program designed to remove spyware will miss, that you'll never know about until a problem arises again. Most people wonder why their computer is running so slow, and barely does what the want it to, but yet it's never had a fresh start since it was purchased. Formating and reloading a pc is like changing your oil in your car.... it's regular maintenance.

Old 09-24-2003   #14
Mr Stabby

no i see what your saying, it's just there are other alternative solutions that don't require alot of time to be spent reloading as we all know this a boring and laborous(sp?) task....you say about computers slowing down have you recommened that defrag should be used?
Old 09-24-2003   #15
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

it may be like an oil change. i don't know because i use a mac. the spyware can be deleted by using addaware a couple of times but if you intendon continued use of kazaa you better make it a weekly ordeal of flushing your spyware becasue it comes in just as fast as you get rid of it.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003   #16
Mr Stabby

you could avoid the spyware altogether by using winmx, but then somthings you might not find..so its sorta sacrifising one thing for another.....no spyware=might not find what you look for
Old 09-24-2003   #17
Gerbil 01
Bite me bitch!!

Defrag is a good tool in some cases, but IMHO, it sucks. Defrag really only helps out if the hard drive is 50% unused or greater. What slows a pc down is all the little programs that are installed without your knowledge when you're on the net. Defrag doesn't remove these, it only moves them around, so therefore you still have those same programs/files causing the same problem. Everyone always complains about having to format or relaod a computer, but it only takes 30 mins or less to format, and relaod the basic os. That could be done while watching a tv show or something. You don't necessarily have to do a full format all the time, just do a quick format. Takes 2 mins. max. I do a full format once a year, and do at least one, or more, quick formats a year. I've slacked off on this pc and have regretted it due to the fact that I didn't have an XP disk. Now that I do, This pc should run ok without any major defects except what my printer keeps doing in disabling itself where it can't be used without reloading it's software again.

Old 09-24-2003   #18
sazzle
I hate you all.

is it easy to totally reboot ur computer. I've never done it and my computer is 7 years old..........bad huh? So how do u do it?
Old 09-24-2003   #19
Gerbil 01
Bite me bitch!!

If your pc is 7 years old, then it's not worth formating, especially if you don't know how, or aren't that computer literate. You couldn't find any of the drivers needed to get everything running again. In this case, I'll support the addaware and defrag advice.

Old 09-28-2003   #20
bhuji17
Newbie Member

bhuji17 is on a distinguished road

yeah, i think that kazaalite doesnt have spyware at all... and no irritating popups! its faster than kazaa too!

Quote:
Originally Said by sazzle
I heard that the spyware in kazaa can really shit ur computer up by messing with ur firewall, how do u get rid of the spyware? HELP!
bhuji17 is offline   Reply With Quote