Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 07-18-2003   #1
Breegalad

Breegalad has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to Breegalad
books books books

hey, i was just wondering what sorta books you guys like.. or if you like to read at all.
when im not eating or sitting here on the computer im reading books. usualy the some dozen over and over but still, im reading right?
The only thing I recall is Those shadows coming my way Comforting me with their searchlights To guide me home again“We will take, We will take That wretched heart away And when you come to You’ll thank us For the new you we’ve made”
Breegalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003   #2
Gerbil 01
Bite me bitch!!

Gerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Gerbil 01 Send a message via Yahoo to Gerbil 01
I like to read... but most books bore me, or I loose interest halfway through them. Now give me a dirtwheels, truckin', lowrider, sport quad, atv action, peterson's 4wheel and offroad, or muscle car and you won't get to keep your hand if you try to take it before I'm finished.

"Laughing at the ignorant, gullible, delusional, stupid, whining, and self righteous assholes... since 1982." *

*Disclaimer - If you read the above statement, and it offends you, then you'll know I'm not laughing with you, I'm laughing at you.*
Gerbil 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003   #3
Chi-Master
Experienced Member

Chi-Master should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to Chi-Master Send a message via Yahoo to Chi-Master
I read a lot by a lot I mean a lot. When I was at college I read the Mission Earth Decology in about a week to 10 days. These books avg about 550-600 pages. And it does not stop there. If i make a trip to barnes and noble i will usually pay off my readers advantage card on every trip i make. The way I see it books allow me to escape reality and take me to a far away place. Currently I am reading "The Will to Power" by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche. Good book.

"Lucky in cards unlucky in love"

Rising from the ashes like the True Phoenix

Chi-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003   #4
Nadine
Such a TEASE! *RAWR*

Nadine is divineNadine is divineNadine is divineNadine is divineNadine is divineNadine is divineNadine is divineNadine is divineNadine is divineNadine is divine
Send a message via MSN to Nadine Send a message via Yahoo to Nadine
Quote:
Originally posted by Chi-Master
The way I see it books allow me to escape reality and take me to a far away place. Currently I am reading "The Will to Power" by Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche. Good book.
By who??????????????????

I know what you mean about escaping reality. I fell in love with the Lord Of the Rings trilogy(sp?). Same with Harry Potter. I like those kind of books because you know those kinds of places don't exist so you HAVE to use your imagination.

"And I hope that in time
You will eventually see
An oh so slight fondness
That you might have had once for me"
~me~

"I don't need SEX! Life FUCKS me whenever it can!"
~Unknown~
Nadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003   #5
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Lets see....i love the harry potter, books, the LOTR trilogy, and almost anything by JRR Tolkien (sp?), i also love Anne Rice (anything by her), and anything by Francesca Lia Block. Well, i read pretty much anything, from Shakespeare to sci-fi, specifically star trek. You could put almost any book in front of me and i'd read it.

And i also love books that take you to a place that is YOUR imagination, and while you're reading you're there with the characters, forget about real life, you know? Its a nice release. And i find i do that more often with the Harry Potter, Anne Rice, and LOTR books.

Jenn-Kitty
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003   #6
Guinness And Mohawks
So cut me open and hear me bleed

Guinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Guinness And Mohawks Send a message via Yahoo to Guinness And Mohawks
im really into these 2 books right now. Chaos making a new science, and Faster the acceleration or just about everything by James Gleick. very very interesting books for those into science and humanitys obsession with speed.

Shamless Promotion: Check out The 2nd Ward
Guinness And Mohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003   #7
poppyat1
Needs to confirm E-mail address

poppyat1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to poppyat1
I really love arthur c clark's sci fiction.. idunno but his imagination is immense and get me wonderin about this fuckin universe ever since
poppyat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003   #8
Guttermouth
Old & Wise Member

Guttermouth is divineGuttermouth is divineGuttermouth is divineGuttermouth is divineGuttermouth is divineGuttermouth is divineGuttermouth is divineGuttermouth is divineGuttermouth is divineGuttermouth is divine
Send a message via AIM to Guttermouth
Right now I'm reading "Jude the Obscure" which is supposed to be one of the most depressing books ever written. I like classic novels. Basically, if they made you read it in school, I was the freak who actually liked reading it...
Old 07-19-2003   #9
~*Lola*~
Newbie Member

~*Lola*~ is on a distinguished road
I also liked all the classics in school. Jane Eyre, Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, Macbeth...yeah. Shakespeare is wonderful; right up there with Edgar Allan Poe. Ooooh, I *love* Poe's works...fabulous artist. As for current/modern stuff, I like vampire novels...Anne Rice? Oh yes my friend. Indeed ^.^ Currently I'm waiting on Obsidian Butterflies...*not* by Anne Rice (it's newer stuff, I guess), but my friend says it's really good. We'll see.
~*Lola*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003   #10
tequilasunrise9
Trainee Member

tequilasunrise9 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tequilasunrise9 Send a message via Yahoo to tequilasunrise9
I love reading but I can not seem to ever finish a science fiction book. They confuse me...too complex lol. I read really "random" books I guess you could see. My favorite book is "The Virgin Suicides" Great book...read it. For some reason I like reading books about drugs and suicide...im not an avid drug user and im not suicidal so that may not make sense...but so far all the books i've read about those subjects seem to be well written, probably because of the serious topic. Almost anything written by Steinbeck is good with me too.
tequilasunrise9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003   #11
Liquid
Well Known Member

Liquid has a spectacular aura aboutLiquid has a spectacular aura aboutLiquid has a spectacular aura about
Im not too much of a reader, but if I find a good book I will read it. Tom Clancy novels are pretty good. Next to those I probably read programing books and such. The Last 2 semesters I read The Grapes of Wrath, Red Badge of Courage, the cruciable, Black boy, billy bud, and the Scarlett letter. Stein beck is pretty good.
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003   #12
Penie
i love kali more than carrots

Penie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Penie
terry pratchett. i imagine chi master could be a great fan
Old 07-19-2003   #13
INCUBUS
Cave ab homine unius libri

INCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of light
Clive Barker is awsome. I'm into horror. I also like fantasy such as Rebert E. Howard's Conan. Cool shit. I read alot of different things though. Reading is good.

"That which doesn't kill us... only makes us stronger."

"Oh well... whatever... nevermind."
INCUBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003   #14
AcidKat

AcidKat is on a distinguished road
Let's see. I really do not like the Harry Potter books...well, more so I don't like the author. She steals so much...I won't get into that. I LOVE LORD OF THE RINGS! Tolkien was a genius. I like fantasy and horror books (heh, much like my taste in movies). ANNE RICE RULES! Her vampire chronicles were inspiring. Individual favorites include Sloppy Firsts and the sequal Second Helpings. Poets: My top two are Poe and Sylvia Plath. I can't read the book The Bell jar enough. I think that's it.
AcidKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003   #15
makilwen

makilwen should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to makilwen
i am never without a book, love sci fi and fantasy. If i am without a book, something is wrong. Heinlein, Vonnegut, Tolkein they're all really good.

~Hey baby, want a green card?
COLDLY PRACTICAL

"Omg, i've never seen a white chick in a Sari before!"
makilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003   #16
Breegalad

Breegalad has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to Breegalad
just about all you guys aggree that sci-fi/fantasy is great. I totaly know what you guys are talking about when you say you becom a part of the story and escape the world around you. i usta read all the time, i dont so much any more, im getting to lazy to go out and get books! MAH! hey, any of you ever read the hich-hikers guide to the galaxy(sp)?

great book... all the books in that "trilogy" are
The only thing I recall is Those shadows coming my way Comforting me with their searchlights To guide me home again“We will take, We will take That wretched heart away And when you come to You’ll thank us For the new you we’ve made”
Breegalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003   #17
makilwen

makilwen should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to makilwen
AYE! Hitchhikker's guide is great! I'm not entirely done with the series (I have a habit of getting into a couple of books at once ) but I'm to book 3 or 4. Pan Galactic Gargle blaster. haha, how great is that?

~Hey baby, want a green card?
COLDLY PRACTICAL

"Omg, i've never seen a white chick in a Sari before!"
makilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003   #18
Tight as a Virgin
Very Experienced Member

Tight as a Virgin is an unknown quantity at this point
I like reading murder mysteries and horror, and some of the old classics are great too. I'm sure I must have read most of them! "Northanger Abbey" worth a read and "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins. New stuff I like; Stephen King and Stephen Dobyns, Peter Straub. Have read some Pratchett, but not really my bag.

And COSMO!!! c'mon, admit it!! we love it!

When life gets you down, EAT MALTESERS!!!
Tight as a Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003   #19
vhg
Well Known Member

vhg is just really nicevhg is just really nice
Dragonlance. The end.

no seriously dragonlance has to be one of the best fantasy series I've ever read, though lately it's been a bit boring recently; but still, if you have tons of time to kill, then dragonlance is for you.

Harry Potter is okay; it's not terribly great, but it's something to keep your mind off everything. Anne Rice is amazing, so is LJ Smith (I wish she continued her night world series). but yeah. I still like a lot of classics too, like Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice.

gotta love that 01000101 sex position eh? ;P
vhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003   #20
Dg
Old & Wise Member

Dg is a knight of Almost SmartDg is a knight of Almost SmartDg is a knight of Almost SmartDg is a knight of Almost Smart
Quote:
Originally posted by Chi-Master
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
German anarchist philosopher, iirc.

personally i read mindless crap, comedy like rankin and pratchett, adventure like mclean. trashy womens novels, war novels. anything except for sci-fi and fantasy really.
Christ, how many suicidal people do you know?! I mean, I've met a couple, but I never really pay attention to them because I figure if they were really suicidal, they'd be killing themselves instead of whining. It's the quiet ones you gotta worry about...
Dg is offline   Reply With Quote