Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 06-23-2003   #41
Thrice
Identity Crisis

Thrice is on a distinguished road
this is really bothering me, just because you sakte on weekend and can do little ollies, 50-50s, shuv-its and wear independent and volcom clothes does not make you a skater. If you wanna be a true hardcore skater you have to hit the ledges and rails everyday after school or work or whatever. Theres no one telling you that you have to do it. You are just having fun, passing the time, and not doing it to lend tricks. You do it to have fun.

http://www.youtube.com/theskrilla19
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003   #42
Breegalad

Breegalad has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to Breegalad
True, BUT ITS STILL A SPORT!
The only thing I recall is Those shadows coming my way Comforting me with their searchlights To guide me home again“We will take, We will take That wretched heart away And when you come to You’ll thank us For the new you we’ve made”
Breegalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003   #43
Daniel
Well Known Member

Daniel is just really niceDaniel is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Daniel
Since when does getting hurt mandate something as a sport. And you know why those 300+ lbs players are that big? Because they get paid multi-millions to do so, they get paid to eat and train. Those men are in much better shape then you give them, perhaps you could beat them in a sprinting contest, but nothing else. They go for 5 minutes with minimal stops, pushing and fighting men of the same size. I am gased after 1 minute of play like that in hockey, its sad that you think the way you do.

I know what skateboarders do, what it takes and how 'hard' it is. If you think that skateboarding is harder then football, then you have no knowledge of athletics, competition or human anatomy. No one here is questioning the determination, drive or heart of a skateboarder. We all know it is hard to ride and do the tricks they do. But if we are defining sports on training, practice and determination... Then hot dog eating, sex, track and almost anything is a sport. I would rather watch Wimbledon the skateboarding.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003   #44
Blood Red
Bleed to the red

Blood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond repute
daniel, this thread is about skateboaring, try to remember that
Old 06-24-2003   #45
Breegalad

Breegalad has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to Breegalad
DANIEL!! Human anatomy?!?!?! WTF? do you think that its "human anatomy" for 175 pound guys to go flying 12 feet in the air spinning around 1.5 times while doing a backflip? I dont givea crap if football is a sport or not, this is about skateboarding! If you think that all the skateboarders out there are assholes id hate to know what they thought of you! Good lord man! How can you judge thousands of sakters because you met a few idiots! If thats how you judge people then i feal sorry for you family and friends!
The only thing I recall is Those shadows coming my way Comforting me with their searchlights To guide me home again“We will take, We will take That wretched heart away And when you come to You’ll thank us For the new you we’ve made”
Breegalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003   #46
Majin
Trainee Member

Majin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Majin
Personally as a skater, I really just don't care if it's considered as a sport or not. You can call it whatever you want to, as long as it's skateboarding, that's all that really matters. You don't have to be in the parks or killing it on the streets everyday to be a skater, that just makes you all the more hardcore as a skater, though. When you go out in skateboarding just like anything else, you get out what you put in, and when you put a lot into skateboarding, it's really rewarding. Someone who's never skated will never really know how great it feels to land a frontside 180 down a long double set with an iffy landing after falling down 80 times trying it. As far as I'm concerned, all those who's definition of a sport consists solely of baseball, basketball, football and whatever else they happened to have been brough up on needs seriously to re-evaluate theird definition of sport.

Skateboarding will always be around just like football will. Just because you don't have a coach yelling at you to get up and tear that rail a new asshole doesn't degrade it anymore. I like how they group skating and bmx and surfing and whatnot all together under the blanket term as "action sports" or "extreme sports" because it's like acknowledging it for what it is, a sport, but a different kind of sport. I'm not going to sit there and argue with a guy on a football team and try to explain how much cooler or less cool I am cause I skate and he doesn't because to be honest, I really don't give a shit about all that. I say we quit the bitching, grab a board and session together at our favorite spots. If the jocks and the kooks wanna watch, let them. I love having some random guy be tell me how hardcore I am just cause I did a kickflip down off of my porch. The thing is, you never understand anything until you try it yourself, and once you've tried everything, I think that's the only point at which you can judge everything. So anyone that gives you shit for skating, hold out your board and ask them to give it a try next time you get heckled for bailing in front of them. Works for me.
Old 06-26-2003   #47
Daniel
Well Known Member

Daniel is just really niceDaniel is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Daniel
I live in Riverside and Orange County, that is all there is out here is skaters, so don't say a few. I don't believe I ever said anything about skaters not being agile or being able to do amazing things. Like you said, this is about skateboarding Bree, not the people that ride them. The act of skateboarding is not a sport, not the people that doing the tricks. I am tired of this thread, most of the people on this thread know nothing about athletics by the comments they posted. Like Majin said, don't knock it until you've tried it. I skateboarded, it was an extreme waste of time. I have played all the other sports I talked about throughout this, I know wtf I am talking about.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003   #48
Evil-Inside
Newbie Member

Evil-Inside should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to Evil-Inside
Re: skateboarding as a sport

skateing is very hard...personally i preffer to Bmx and Paintball..
Im not into bmx anymore really just paintball..
but i can remeber trying to skate and it was very hard..all i did was fall
i was never really good at it :(
Evil-Inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003   #49
ks
Newbie Member

ks is on a distinguished road

If golf is considered a sport, then hell yeah skateboarding is.
ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003   #50
notlob
rock star

Location: Some galaxy, away from the idiots that inhabit Earth
notlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to notlob

Skateboardin kiks ass.....its done for fun...and only true people who want a challenge should take it up.....i dont see any1 here lookin like they wanna try it..

just so u know....skateboarding IS a sport, IS NOT a crime, and its for FUN
notlob is offline   Reply With Quote