Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discussion related to technology, computers, and the internet.

Old 09-03-2014   #1
Jabedin
Aladdin's brother

Jabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond repute
A question for the nerds

Why is techno garble so fucking hard to comprehend? Why does it take less time to become a doctor than to learn everything about the world of programming? Why is it so complicated? One would think that the meticulous nature that it started with would have been made much more efficient and simplified by now! I mean honestly, what improvement has there been on ANY coding language other than adding some automatic tab spaces and line colors?? It's too fucking confusing! Someone smart fix it so I can make cool things god dammit. Fucking sucks

In your heart, pumping your blood
Jabedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014   #2
Jabedin
Aladdin's brother

Jabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A question for the nerds

Change it so that it works the same way writing a novel would work. And don't give me that crap about how some languages are a lot like writing novels, cause that's not true, that's horse shit. You have to come in knowing the specific manifestations that the language listens to, it's the same shit as any other language it just uses word avatars in place of the regular humpty dumpty commands that have been around since forever and a half. If the language can be simplified and made more efficient then the masses can experiment with it and massive progress will be made in things other than programming. There has got to be a better way other than opening and closing a shit load of doorways.

Last edited by Jabedin; 09-03-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-03-2014   #3
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

...this is definitely a question for EC. PAGING EC, EC, COME IN PLEASE.

(I agree, Jabedin).
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #4
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

Holla!

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #5
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently pursuing Computer Science. I am learning Java as part of the basic core of my program. It helps to be able to understand how computer scientists think. If you are writing from scratch, it helps tremendously if you at least know how to structure what you want to do in pseudo code first. This gives you some much needed direction. Once you have familiarity with it, it's actually not that complicated.

There is a method to the madness, similarly to how many sciences utilize the scientific method to achieve what they need to do. Each field has their own way of doing things (as I learned to my chagrin). The math that is involved in my program is apparently foreign to math majors. I spoke to someone who worked in the learning center at my university to discover two things:
1) There are no tutors for computer science majors. We're unloved and SOL.
2) Math majors apparently use nothing but the standard base 10 decimal system for the ENTIRE time they are in the program. The math tutors stare at me blankly and wish me luck.

Fortunately there are actually a lot of online resources. (They're all I have. My professor tells me to refer to Google or YouTube.)

Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #6
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Jabedin View Post
Why is techno garble so fucking hard to comprehend?
It requires study and memorization and knowledge of many things that go beyond the language in which you're programming.

Quote:
Why does it take less time to become a doctor than to learn everything about the world of programming?
I don't think there's a soul living on Earth who has learned *everything* about the world of programming. That's like wondering if anyone is fluent in all spoken languages used today!

Programming languages are conlangs. You know, human constructed languages? Yeah, something I've done for fun in the past. And like real languages, conlangs can be built upon, modified, adapted, or borrowed from. That's especially true for computer programming languages.

There are language families, like C and its derivatives and BASIC and its derivatives. Both C and BASIC are said to have come from FORTRAN. FORTRAN is old. It was first used in the 1950s and it is still used today for high-level scientific applications for computation. That means SUPERCOMPUTERS which analyze physics and astronomical data, attempt to predict weather patterns, determine the make-up of complex chemical compounds, and other such uses are all still using FORTRAN today. Pretty fuckin' cool if you ask me.

Beyond the language families, there are programming paradigms of language, like declarative, imperative, object-oriented, and functional, among others. It gets increasingly complex.

So yeah, it would take less time to to become a doctor than to learn all about programming languages, but only because there are so many different languages which are useful for different applications which run on different platforms which have been used at different time periods. Doctors only have to learn medicine and practice it on one machine, albeit the most complex one in existence: the human body.

Quote:
Why is it so complicated? One would think that the meticulous nature that it started with would have been made much more efficient and simplified by now! I mean honestly, what improvement has there been on ANY coding language other than adding some automatic tab spaces and line colors?? It's too fucking confusing! Someone smart fix it so I can make cool things god dammit. Fucking sucks
It sounds to me that you just don't want to take the time to learn them. The line about improvements shows how little you know. I'm not trying to offend you here. It's just that those automatic tab spaces and line colors aren't even improvements on the programming languages themselves but rather are improvements on the word processors with which one would use to write code.

What cool things do you want to make? You could write an interactive fiction game using nothing but Inform.

Quote:
Originally Said by Jabedin View Post
Change it so that it works the same way writing a novel would work. And don't give me that crap about how some languages are a lot like writing novels, cause that's not true, that's horse shit. You have to come in knowing the specific manifestations that the language listens to, it's the same shit as any other language it just uses word avatars in place of the regular humpty dumpty commands that have been around since forever and a half. If the language can be simplified and made more efficient then the masses can experiment with it and massive progress will be made in things other than programming. There has got to be a better way other than opening and closing a shit load of doorways.
Are you talking about something easy to learn like LiveCode?

If you can't be bothered to learn the "word avatars" of natural language programming, I doubt you'd be able to learn any other type of programming language. Even if programming was implemented so that it could be done with the human voice, there'd still be sets of commands you'd have to learn in order to get anything done. In case you're thinking you could just add synonymous command phrases, keep in mind that the more complicated you make it, the more ways a machine has to interpret it.

-=-=-=-

Finally, consider that the ultimate goal of computer programming is to create an artificial intelligence that compares to human intelligence. Now consider that human intelligence is just the top tier in a brain that has evolved over tens of millions of years. Yeah, computer programming is going to be pretty fucking complex.

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
...this is definitely a question for EC. PAGING EC, EC, COME IN PLEASE.

(I agree, Jabedin).
I only came on AS this morning to find something I wrote a long time ago. Other than that, your paging had no effect. You should've "paged" me on Facebook.

Also:

Here's some esoteric languages that you don't need to learn to find the humor in them:

http://lolcode.org
http://shakespearelang.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
Originally Said by Nami View Post
I'm currently pursuing Computer Science.
I believe I too will soon be pursuing a degree in Computer Science. I'm going to get mine from the tuition-free University of the People. http://uopeople.edu It should be fun.

Quote:
Fortunately there are actually a lot of online resources. (They're all I have. My professor tells me to refer to Google or YouTube.)
Of course there are. Nerds don't wanna actually talk to people. We want to type to them!

If you have a computer you leave online all the time or at least for long periods, I would also recommend using IRC as one of your resources. It is particularly useful if you can't find what you're looking for on Google or YouTube, or if you found it, but you're having difficulty grasping it. The Rizon network that I frequent isn't so great when it comes to helping people, however. Freenode would probably be the place to go.

The only reason I say you'd need to leave the computer on is because many of the people who would be able to help you are probably going to be idling. You might not get a response for an hour or more so you'd want to be as detailed as possible. If the channel appears active with a lot of people talking, it's worth it to wait around to see if anyone replies directly to you. If not, try asking again if it's been a reasonable amount of time since you first asked.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014   #7
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I also hope you all realize how reserved I was in that response. I was going to write A LOT more but I had to stop myself. :D
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 09-10-2014   #8
Jabedin
Aladdin's brother

That's exactly the problem, SIMPLIFY IT >:(

Get your degree and make it easier for the rest of us so we can can wave our hands with minimal effort and time to materialize our fantasies with absolute realism, it's that simple

Old 09-12-2014   #9
EmperorChaos

Simplification is on its way.
-=-=-=-
Old 09-12-2014   #10
Jabedin
Aladdin's brother

Want now tho

Old 09-15-2014   #11
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

Try this.

http://www.lynda.com/JavaScript-tuto...s/83603-2.html

Nami is offline   Reply With Quote