Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > The Blog

The Blog Post the crazy happenings in your life here. If it's interesting enough it may be moved to the main news page.

Old 01-13-2011   #1
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
Stuff You Carry Around With You / Store Under Your Pillow Julias-Caesar-Style

What kind of "things" do you keep in your purse / wallet / 'neath your pillow?

I randomly sawr a bot viewing an ancient thread about this same thing, and it timed out oddly with the demise of yet another purse (it literally has no zippers or buttons now. Yes. It had a wooden button to "secure" it ).

So I was forced to clean out my purse. Evidencing my purse-"hoarding" and slovenly-disorganized ways, here follows the fearful list of horrors that dwelled-eth-ed (past tense) within the bowels of the old orange beast:

*punch badge for work
*Boxes of Orbit mist peppermint spray gum—4
*Burt's Bees chapstick –best chapstick in the world
*loose pieces of gum—2, one of which used to be raspberry-lemon, I think. Horrible.
*gum wrappers—11
*orange change purse and matchin' orange glasses case from World Market
*a box of bandaids
*a note on a scrap of paper that reads “all of us over here are a little perflexed [sic].” *rofls*
*receipts—36
*a copy of 1984 with a Kohl's receipt bookmarking page 35
*a hair brush with probably 9 or 10 scrunchies around the handle
*the 3-pack wrapper of orbit mist peppermint spray gum—2
*Christmas Eve church service bulletin
*from a “Baptism” class in a Missouri bible school we visited (to see a friend who was there), one of the study sheets from the class with a drawing of a driver's license "Joe E. Blob, blah, blah fake information. Height: 5' ace of clubs." Also, a pen they gave us with their church's address and Matthew 19:26 on it
*sunglasses that slip over my spectacles that kind of make me look like a Beatle and their carrier.
*the plastic cover to one of the boxes of orbit pepp spray gum—2
*nectarine mint anti-bacterial lotion from B&B works
*germ-x hand sanitizer
*a mini-notebook covered with various stickers from various travels and happenings into which I used to scribe my sedge-wall (schedule) until they started posting in online. Now, it contains various...other, less pragmatic writings.
*my pass-a-port (yes, I carry my passport with me)
*bandaid-sticky-part-coverer—2
* a piece of Christmas-themed paper onto which is scribed something that isn't interesting enough to explain
*a local coffee shop get-a-free-drink-after-buying-ten-drinks card with 7 rows—completely used
*foundation
*our house key attacked to a springy key chain with a sandal “Rachael”-inscribed key chain and a Minnesota license plate “Rachael”-inscribed key chain attached to that
*$1 bill
*yankee candle midnight jasmine hand sanitizer—this stuff is the best
*an expired 2-free-"apology"-sundaes for screwing up our order; never used
*Starbucks gift-card paper-holder thing—2
*Jergens ultra healing extra dry skin moisturizer—also the best
*an old and disgusting bag of quarters—$4 worth
*Starbucks napkins
*loose scrunchies—15
*L'Bri sample lotion
*a piece of cardboard (literally cardboard) with a note written on it
*glasses cleaning kit
*yankee candle save $10—expired
*“professional” mascara
*a plastic bag containing 3 St. John's Wart pills from a friend (and another that fell out). For the anxiety attacks I was having at work.
*a thin-tipped sharpie
*a mechanical pencil
*eye liner
*a blue pen
*a broken zipper from the purse—1 (where the other one went? *helpless shrug*)
*a broken off button from the purse
*Loose change—$1.78
*3 "items"
*dental floss
*tweezers
*a mini mirror
*an orange lighter
*an orange wallet—highlight: jack sparrow's pirate license

It was a big purse. <:D

Anyone else?

*dubious eyes are dubious*

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 01-13-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: Stuff You Carry Around With You / Store Under Your Pillow Julias-Caesar-Style

Why do you have a lighter? Do you smoke? Also, do you use mechanical pencils? I only use pens, myself. I write too hard and go through too much pencil lead, and when I have mechanical pencils the lead just breaks right off. I'm incapable of having a looser grip on my pencils.

Currently in my purse (well, before I dumped it out)

An in-progress scarf, with knitting needles and two balls of yarn attached.
My wallet (it's metallic blue!)
My mp3 player
four receipts to various stores
83 cents
my change purse, which I just put the 83 cents in; I'm not sure how much other change is in the change purse, suffice it to say it's most likely about 3 dollars
2 dollar bills
lip gloss (pink!)
a compact mirror
3 ink pens (one red, one green, one black ink, with characters of The Office on it)
3 metal earring backings
1 earring stud (broken)
S Factor hair conditioner (it smells like peppermint)
my retainer case, with retainer inside
my cell phone
this book: Dashing Diamond Dick and Other Classic Dime Novels

And that's it.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011   #3
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stuff You Carry Around With You / Store Under Your Pillow Julias-Caesar-Style

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
Why do you have a lighter? Do you smoke? Also, do you use mechanical pencils? I only use pens, myself. I write too hard and go through too much pencil lead, and when I have mechanical pencils the lead just breaks right off. I'm incapable of having a looser grip on my pencils.
Nope, I don't smoke. (I actually avoid cigarette smoke out of a stark aversion to... it).

Short story long: 4th of July one year, we were "in a panic" to find a sound source of fire with which to light our fireworks, so I ran into a gas station and glommed a lighter (well, after paying for it--I'm not a bandit). But we ended up going to Walmart and getting one of those "grill torch" things, anyway, so we never actually used the lighter. And I kept it because...instant, secret(, and sentimental) fire... *delighted and crazed grin*

So yes, long story short, I'm a pyro. o.o

And I actually love using mechanical pencils (for both writing and sketching); I write very small and very "precisely," and apparently not very hard myself because the lead in it seems almost infinite. Actually, I don't think I've ever changed the lead...is that possible?

Anyway (enchanted pencils aside o_O), I like your list. :D I find it rather amusing that you carry all your "knitting gear" and projects with you (but how does that all fit in your purse, exactly?). Also, peppermint-scented hair conditioner? That sounds awersome. And that book seems rather "quaint" and cool. :) It almost seems that the literal things people carry with them say something about who they are, in a way. As cheesy as that is...it almost seems true.... *Drifting away into pseudo-existential thoughts*

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 01-14-2011   #4
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh, okay, perfectly reasonable explanation. You didn't strike me as a smoker, so I had to ask.

I used to try and try to use mechanical pencils, but to my frustration, *always* went through lead like it was water. Literally every time I put the lead to the paper it would break off. So I used regular pencils but those never lasted long 'cause I'd wear them down to almost nubs inside of a week. Then, my teachers let me use pens and VIOLA! Problem solved.

I don't carry *all* of it, just my current project...it would be rather daunting if I carred all of it, my goodness. It's actually rather easy because scarves fold, and also I have a huge, hobo-style purse so it's really rather easy; I could fit my current project plus a change of clothes inside my purse with room to spare. It also helps that my knitting needles are only 10 inches long (that's pretty short, in the knitting world).

Peppermint scented conditioner is THE BEST. My hair smells like Christmas, all year round.

The book is actually really amazing. It's basically a sample of some of the 19th century version of today's Harlequin romance novels (it's not romance novels, just the idea of cheap, formulaic, short books). And it's helping me formulate ideas that are surrounding my thesis as well, so on top of being an amusing look into 19th century popular novels, in my mind I'm connecting it with other "real" literature of the time.

And I agree, what we carry seems to say a lot about us. For instance, you're a mix of a pack rat and the Boy-Scout-Always-Be-Prepared type. Me? I like to read, I like to knit, I'm quite forgetful, and I have recently visited my salon.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2011   #5
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
What kind of "things" do you keep in your purse / wallet / 'neath your pillow?

I randomly sawr a bot viewing an ancient thread about this same thing, and it timed out oddly with the demise of yet another purse (it literally has no zippers or buttons now. Yes. It had a wooden button to "secure" it ).

So I was forced to clean out my purse. Evidencing my purse-"hoarding" and slovenly-disorganized ways, here follows the fearful list of horrors that dwelled-eth-ed (past tense) within the bowels of the old orange beast:

*punch badge for work
*Boxes of Orbit mist peppermint spray gum—4
*Burt's Bees chapstick –best chapstick in the world
*loose pieces of gum—2, one of which used to be raspberry-lemon, I think. Horrible.
*gum wrappers—11
*orange change purse and matchin' orange glasses case from World Market
*a box of bandaids
*a note on a scrap of paper that reads “all of us over here are a little perflexed [sic].” *rofls*
*receipts—36
*a copy of 1984 with a Kohl's receipt bookmarking page 35
*a hair brush with probably 9 or 10 scrunchies around the handle
*the 3-pack wrapper of orbit mist peppermint spray gum—2
*Christmas Eve church service bulletin
*from a “Baptism” class in a Missouri bible school we visited (to see a friend who was there), one of the study sheets from the class with a drawing of a driver's license "Joe E. Blob, blah, blah fake information. Height: 5' ace of clubs." Also, a pen they gave us with their church's address and Matthew 19:26 on it
*sunglasses that slip over my spectacles that kind of make me look like a Beatle and their carrier.
*the plastic cover to one of the boxes of orbit pepp spray gum—2
*nectarine mint anti-bacterial lotion from B&B works
*germ-x hand sanitizer
*a mini-notebook covered with various stickers from various travels and happenings into which I used to scribe my sedge-wall (schedule) until they started posting in online. Now, it contains various...other, less pragmatic writings.
*my pass-a-port (yes, I carry my passport with me)
*bandaid-sticky-part-coverer—2
* a piece of Christmas-themed paper onto which is scribed something that isn't interesting enough to explain
*a local coffee shop get-a-free-drink-after-buying-ten-drinks card with 7 rows—completely used
*foundation
*our house key attacked to a springy key chain with a sandal “Rachael”-inscribed key chain and a Minnesota license plate “Rachael”-inscribed key chain attached to that
*$1 bill
*yankee candle midnight jasmine hand sanitizer—this stuff is the best
*an expired 2-free-"apology"-sundaes for screwing up our order; never used
*Starbucks gift-card paper-holder thing—2
*Jergens ultra healing extra dry skin moisturizer—also the best
*an old and disgusting bag of quarters—$4 worth
*Starbucks napkins
*loose scrunchies—15
*L'Bri sample lotion
*a piece of cardboard (literally cardboard) with a note written on it
*glasses cleaning kit
*yankee candle save $10—expired
*“professional” mascara
*a plastic bag containing 3 St. John's Wart pills from a friend (and another that fell out). For the anxiety attacks I was having at work.
*a thin-tipped sharpie
*a mechanical pencil
*eye liner
*a blue pen
*a broken zipper from the purse—1 (where the other one went? *helpless shrug*)
*a broken off button from the purse
*Loose change—$1.78
*3 "items"
*dental floss
*tweezers
*a mini mirror
*an orange lighter
*an orange wallet—highlight: jack sparrow's pirate license

It was a big purse. <:D

Anyone else?

*dubious eyes are dubious*
That. Is. Insane.

Was it like a suitcase? With wheels on it and such?

----

I only carry around one thing: Iron Diplodocus.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 635854067_336e92fe7d.jpg (97.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg bd4de_ORIG-superdinos_1.jpg (82.2 KB, 77 views)
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #6
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Ahhhh, okay, perfectly reasonable explanation. You didn't strike me as a smoker, so I had to ask.
Yes, quite right. It's not been something I've ever even thought about wanting to do, even when I was stereotypically peer-pressured to try it in high school. Nope, not even tempted. -_-

Fire, on the other hand, absolutely. ;)

Quote:
I used to try and try to use mechanical pencils, but to my frustration, *always* went through lead like it was water. Literally every time I put the lead to the paper it would break off. So I used regular pencils but those never lasted long 'cause I'd wear them down to almost nubs inside of a week. Then, my teachers let me use pens and VIOLA! Problem solved.
Ha, wow. "Such violent penmanship, Peter! What did those wee pencils ever do to you?"

Sorry. Finding-Neverland-inside-joke-reference.

Seriously, though, that is quite uncanny. o.O What does your handwriting look like? It sounds like it would be very bold and precise with that amount of pressure.

Quote:
I don't carry *all* of it, just my current project...it would be rather daunting if I carred all of it, my goodness. It's actually rather easy because scarves fold, and also I have a huge, hobo-style purse so it's really rather easy; I could fit my current project plus a change of clothes inside my purse with room to spare. It also helps that my knitting needles are only 10 inches long (that's pretty short, in the knitting world).
Ha, I don't feel so bad now. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a gi-normous purse. And my new one is even more flamboyant-looking than the last, somehow: also hobo-style (I think) and perfect-pumpkin-orange with black stripes and metal studs--quite eccentric-looking. It's actually substantially more obnoxious than I am, somehow. What does yours look like?

And that makes sense. Yes, that would be almost a little scary if you carried everything you've ever made, I'm sure, haha--which I would imagine is a lot if you "habitually knit." Quite a magical (and travel-friendly!) hobby. ;)

Quote:
Peppermint scented conditioner is THE BEST. My hair smells like Christmas, all year round.
Lucky. [/Napoleon Dynamite]

Quote:
The book is actually really amazing. It's basically a sample of some of the 19th century version of today's Harlequin romance novels (it's not romance novels, just the idea of cheap, formulaic, short books). And it's helping me formulate ideas that are surrounding my thesis as well, so on top of being an amusing look into 19th century popular novels, in my mind I'm connecting it with other "real" literature of the time.
That does sound *quite* cool. How does it relate to your thesis, though, exactly? (My memory is one of my greatest sources of fail.)

Quote:
And I agree, what we carry seems to say a lot about us. For instance, you're a mix of a pack rat and the Boy-Scout-Always-Be-Prepared type. Me? I like to read, I like to knit, I'm quite forgetful, and I have recently visited my salon.
Ha, yup! That sounds about right. I actually was going to ask why you carried hair conditioner with you, but that would explain it. ;D

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 01-14-2011   #7
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth View Post
That. Is. Insane.

Was it like a suitcase? With wheels on it and such?

----

I only carry around one thing: Iron Diplodocus.

Are you sure it doesn't carry you? Your valiant, iron steed...?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mary_poppins.jpg (44.1 KB, 77 views)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 01-14-2011   #8
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

I want an Iron Diplodocus :(

Also, my handwriting changes with my mood (I believe there was a thread about handwriting and I posted a picture there, once but I can't find the post), but I wouldn't say it's precise most of the time; just rather big. I had my handwriting as my avatar for a time, because I like the quote I wrote. It's a small picture but here it is:

Old 01-14-2011   #9
Tala
iGor

Tala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond repute

I feel this thread is somehow addressed to me..

Under my pillow is a collection of stuff going perhaps 10 years back. I'm not even sure what "rules" dictated what went under the pillow, as it is quite quite a random assortment of things. So here it goes:

- Ibuprofen
- A flashing blue light saber key-chain-thing from one of the Florida parks
- A heavy-duty padlock and appropriate key
- A braided bracelet made in memory of a friend from middle school
- A fishing sinker with blue fishing line attached (I believe this is where the random collection started all those years ago..)
- A blue plastic charm that looks like a replica of a chandelier charm (on a chain to be worn as a necklace)
- A broken leathern strap, looks like it was once a necklace chain
- A broken necklace (the string is broken) with a dolphin holding a blue marble
- A broken other necklace that had a glass dolphin with my name written on a grain of rice inside of it (the glass charm got smashed open) ((wow, I have a lot of broken jewelry under my pillow..))
- A dagger and sheath *whatdidyouhearsomething?*
- 14 polished rocks
- 3 tattered stuffed animal tags, two of which are from beanie babies
- A polished glass bead
- A reflective marble that I got from a store in exchange for my promise to "pray for peace"
- A real dragon tooth from a local renaissance faire
- A key-chain with nothing on it
- A strange metal triangle

And thus concludes the list. Less stuff, more randomness.
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
~ T. S. Eliot
Tala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #10
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

....How do you sleep with all of that stuff under it?
Old 01-14-2011   #11
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

i have tried to stop carrying so much in my bag. now i have:

* 2 vials of lipgloss
* 1 cell phone
* 1 pocket sized calendar/planner
* various medications
* a flashlight that you attach to your clothes tomb raider style
* 4 pens
* 2 pencils
* An inhaler i had when i was sick, but i carry it just in case
* keys
* random cents
* some old receipts
* two movie passes
* a wallet with various cards which i do not remember, but i do have my license for sure
* bits of paper

and under my pillow is:

*my head, i always sleep with my head under my pillow so unfortunately there is no room for anything else
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011   #12
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

There is a second pillow under my pillow which is right above a third one (they are small pillows I form to a big one). I often 'store' my TV remote under those pillow(s).

Oh, I just found a book under the last of my pillows. I was missing it for a longer time.. I wonder how the book made it there..

I'll check what's to find in the deeps of my backpack tomorrow :D

Quote:
I was wondering about that too ^_^
Old 01-15-2011   #13
Tala
iGor

Tala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond reputeTala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That seems to be a very frequent question, of which I have two answers:

1. I have two pillows stacked on top of each other and the stuff is under the lower one, so there is two pillows of cushion between my head and my random collection.

2. I have narcolepsy (not really, but sometimes if seems like it) and can fall asleep with my head on the worst substrates, such as gravel, rugs, boxes, wooden beams, treadmills, suspended in the air, and more. Yup. I don't even feel my stuff collection anymore.

^^ how can you sleep with your head under your pillow?? I would feel suffocated!
Or spread out his whiskers, or cherish his pride?
~ T. S. Eliot
Tala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011   #14
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

a picture of your mom naked lol everywhere i go

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011   #15
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

I just raided my backpack to make a list of the stuff I carry around with me:

* a ski mask (a Christmas present from my parents (Yay! No more money problems))
* a beret
* some old dressing materials (you never know)
* band-aids
* more (not so old) dressing materials (4x)
* two earplugs in a box
* a flashlight
* a fresh handkerchief
* a brush
* an old book "The Weather" by George Kimble, published 1946 (reserved for boring times or rests in a beer garden during a hike etc.)
* a pencil case
* 4 pens
* 2 bottle tops
* some kind of chain and a metal thing that could have belonged to a zipper once
* spikes for my shoes
* my mobile
* some cheap plastic sunglasses I bought on a train ride with a steam engine from Durengo to Silverton
* a carabiner I either attach my tripod or my sandals (if I walk barefoot) to my backpack with
* a few coins (22 [eur] cent and 20 groszy (polish cents)
* a key ring I got as thank for helping/supporting a dive camp that was cleaning a lake in Poland.
* a 'bottle holding device' you can attach somewhere (like yourself) with a carabiner
* a disposable razor
* a wristwatch
* a lighter
* a Swiss army knife ((^_^))
* an USB stick
* some deodorant (I must have it for a long time by now)
* hydrating cream
* and two golf balls I found on hikes in Denmark.

Darn, I hoped I could beat ZP's list ;D

Oh! I forgot to add: A stone, two shells, a rusty wrench and a folding yardstick. ^_^

Last edited by Christian; 01-17-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011   #16
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute

My backpack, which commutes with me, has:

-Laptop
-Power cable
-Ipod
-Front light for bicycle
-Patch kit
-Tire pump
-Tire irons
-Bike computer
-Cycling gloves
-Caffeine pills
-Goggles
-Knife
-Wireless mouse
-Notebook
-3 pens
-Auto pencil
-2 block erasers
-Pocket calculator
-Gym clothes
-Padlock

As for my person,
-Wallet
-Phone
-Keys
Old 01-23-2011   #17
Zanahoria_Picante

...Yeah! :D Thank you all for sharing... very random information.

Quote:
I want an Iron Diplodocus :(

Also, my handwriting changes with my mood (I believe there was a thread about handwriting and I posted a picture there, once but I can't find the post), but I wouldn't say it's precise most of the time; just rather big. I had my handwriting as my avatar for a time, because I like the quote I wrote. It's a small picture but here it is:

Me too. <:(

I'm the same way; if I have time, I can be almost obsessive-compulsively neat and exact, but mostly--and I have actually been told this--my writing looks kind of like Arabic.

Yours seems very agreeable, though. ;)

Quote:
Originally Said by Tala View Post
I feel this thread is somehow addressed to me..

Under my pillow is a collection of stuff going perhaps 10 years back. I'm not even sure what "rules" dictated what went under the pillow, as it is quite quite a random assortment of things. So here it goes:

- Ibuprofen
- A flashing blue light saber key-chain-thing from one of the Florida parks
- A heavy-duty padlock and appropriate key
- A braided bracelet made in memory of a friend from middle school
- A fishing sinker with blue fishing line attached (I believe this is where the random collection started all those years ago..)
- A blue plastic charm that looks like a replica of a chandelier charm (on a chain to be worn as a necklace)
- A broken leathern strap, looks like it was once a necklace chain
- A broken necklace (the string is broken) with a dolphin holding a blue marble
- A broken other necklace that had a glass dolphin with my name written on a grain of rice inside of it (the glass charm got smashed open) ((wow, I have a lot of broken jewelry under my pillow..))
- A dagger and sheath *whatdidyouhearsomething?*
- 14 polished rocks
- 3 tattered stuffed animal tags, two of which are from beanie babies
- A polished glass bead
- A reflective marble that I got from a store in exchange for my promise to "pray for peace"
- A real dragon tooth from a local renaissance faire
- A key-chain with nothing on it
- A strange metal triangle

And thus concludes the list. Less stuff, more randomness.
'Twas! "Naturally, naturally." ;D

Quite the epic list of sub-pillow items! Yes, yes. My only question is...how many?

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
i have tried to stop carrying so much in my bag. now i have:

* 2 vials of lipgloss
* 1 cell phone
* 1 pocket sized calendar/planner
* various medications
* a flashlight that you attach to your clothes tomb raider style
* 4 pens
* 2 pencils
* An inhaler i had when i was sick, but i carry it just in case
* keys
* random cents
* some old receipts
* two movie passes
* a wallet with various cards which i do not remember, but i do have my license for sure
* bits of paper

and under my pillow is:

*my head, i always sleep with my head under my pillow so unfortunately there is no room for anything else
"Vials," eh? I like. ;D

It's good to keep it simple, to the basics; otherwise, you end up having to, literally and at length, dig for stuff you actually need, like some strange hoarder-like people do.

I am also "bewildered" by your head-'neath-your-pillow way of sleeping. I couldn't sleep like that, either; I need a steady stream of cool, moving air to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
Oh, I just found a book under the last of my pillows. I was missing it for a longer time.. I wonder how the book made it there..
The library fairy, perhaps? Maybe she was confused. ;)

Quote:
Originally Said by Tala View Post
That seems to be a very frequent question, of which I have two answers:

1. I have two pillows stacked on top of each other and the stuff is under the lower one, so there is two pillows of cushion between my head and my random collection.

2. I have narcolepsy (not really, but sometimes if seems like it) and can fall asleep with my head on the worst substrates, such as gravel, rugs, boxes, wooden beams, treadmills, suspended in the air, and more. Yup. I don't even feel my stuff collection anymore.

^^ how can you sleep with your head under your pillow?? I would feel suffocated!
..."Suspended in the air"? o.O

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
a picture of your mom naked lol everywhere i go
Spooky.

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
I just raided my backpack to make a list of the stuff I carry around with me:

* a ski mask (a Christmas present from my parents (Yay! No more money problems))
* a beret
* some old dressing materials (you never know)
* band-aids
* more (not so old) dressing materials (4x)
* two earplugs in a box
* a flashlight
* a fresh handkerchief
* a brush
* an old book "The Weather" by George Kimble, published 1946 (reserved for boring times or rests in a beer garden during a hike etc.)
* a pencil case
* 4 pens
* 2 bottle tops
* some kind of chain and a metal thing that could have belonged to a zipper once
* spikes for my shoes
* my mobile
* some cheap plastic sunglasses I bought on a train ride with a steam engine from Durengo to Silverton
* a carabiner I either attach my tripod or my sandals (if I walk barefoot) to my backpack with
* a few coins (22 [eur] cent and 20 groszy (polish cents)
* a key ring I got as thank for helping/supporting a dive camp that was cleaning a lake in Poland.
* a 'bottle holding device' you can attach somewhere (like yourself) with a carabiner
* a disposable razor
* a wristwatch
* a lighter
* a Swiss army knife ((^_^))
* an USB stick
* some deodorant (I must have it for a long time by now)
* hydrating cream
* and two golf balls I found on hikes in Denmark.

Darn, I hoped I could beat ZP's list ;D

Oh! I forgot to add: A stone, two shells, a rusty wrench and a folding yardstick. ^_^
That is a bit uncanny; you, and Yugoloth, carry less in your backpacks (at least, by count) than I did in my orange satchel-purse. Actually, I think both your backpacks combined might actually be less. Oh my.

Still, yours is quite a list. ;)

Your "afterthought" items are the most intriguing and idiosyncratic, methinks, especially the last two things. A rusty wrench and a folding yard stick? Mere encumbrances, these seem to be.

Quote:
My backpack, which commutes with me, has:

-Laptop
-Power cable
-Ipod
-Front light for bicycle
-Patch kit
-Tire pump
-Tire irons
-Bike computer
-Cycling gloves
-Caffeine pills
-Goggles
-Knife
-Wireless mouse
-Notebook
-3 pens
-Auto pencil
-2 block erasers
-Pocket calculator
-Gym clothes
-Padlock

As for my person,
-Wallet
-Phone
-Keys
Um. Aren't you forgetting something? *Snarky stare*

It sounds like your backpack would be quite heavy, with a laptop, tire irons / pump, clothes, and the like.

"You can tell a lot about a person by their ...totes. Where dey going, where dey been. I've had lots of totes...."

My absurd list o' encumbrances has been somewhat condensed, by the way--to fit into my new purse. Condensed, somewhat.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 01-23-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2011   #18
Yugoloth
-----

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Um. Aren't you forgetting something? *Snarky stare*
Rachael, please. Let's be serious.

Iron Diplodocus rides in the side pocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kensington-backpack-back-open.jpg (50.4 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Yugoloth; 01-23-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2011   #19
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

head under the pillow is camouflage....is a person sleeping there or is it a mass of blankets and pillows. Comes in handy in cases of burglars or vampires. Its like Ghost in Call of Duty, i am not seen by any spy plane...
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011   #20
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Rachael, please. Let's be serious.

Iron Diplodocus rides in the side pocket.
Ha! Still magnificent. :D

*Wistful, teary-eyed sigh*

By the way, he doesn't bite... does he?

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
head under the pillow is camouflage....is a person sleeping there or is it a mass of blankets and pillows. Comes in handy in cases of burglars or vampires. Its like Ghost in Call of Duty, i am not seen by any spy plane...
Aha. Good points. Also a pretty fun way to surprise (read: nearly send into cardiac arrest) the tooth fairy, I'd wager. ;D

*Sigh*

I have recently taken to storing a notebook and pen(cil?) under my pillow (sub-pillowianly). Not next to (juxta-pillowianly), because then people would see it, obviously, and read my secret, capricious thoughts.... It always seems that right before bed, or right before falling asleep--right when it's most convenient o_O--the "write-down-able" ideas decide to arise--as is always the case: Contrary to practicality. They are very raw (uncooked), unrefined (usually very strange) idears, but that seems to be how thoughts come "fresh off the presses" of the subconscious.

So yes, just felt the need to confess that here, for some reason.
(Ah jus' fe-ult lahke writin'.)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;