Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

View Poll Results: Get the mp3's back
Yes! I miss them. 15 57.69%
Nah not really 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2004   #1
Thrice
Identity Crisis

Thrice is on a distinguished road
WE WANT MP3s!!

I miss the mp3 database that Almost Smart had to offer. Who votes for the reinstatement of the mp3s???

http://www.youtube.com/theskrilla19
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #2
tynie
You're Klaus Nomi, I'm Etta James

tynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tynie Send a message via MSN to tynie Send a message via Yahoo to tynie
Re: WE WANT MP3s!!

i'm with you thrice
What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction.-Choke, Chuck Palahniuk
tynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #3
Indiana Tones
Almost Smart Master

Indiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Indiana Tones Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana Tones

They were nice at first...like when I was new and that's all I wanted, you know. But now I just come because it's fun. I love the people here. I guess it'd be nice to have them back, but it's nice not having a bunch of newbies making stupid, pointless posts and threads like "Who has Evanescence mp3s." If we do get it back, there should be a safety or something that allows only certain members to get mp3s. Plus back when we had them, the server seemed slower because all the bandwidth was used in downloading. Things are much smoother now.
Old 06-07-2004   #4
superchicken002
Elite Member

superchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to superchicken002 Send a message via MSN to superchicken002 Send a message via Yahoo to superchicken002

Yeah, I'd like to have the mp3s back but I think that all it would really cause is annoying people posting just to get points, ya know? If theres a way to cut down on that... it'd be fantastic...
Old 06-07-2004   #5
psychopatpl
*PAC MAN*

psychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by allpsychopatpl is respected by all
Send a message via AIM to psychopatpl Send a message via MSN to psychopatpl Send a message via Yahoo to psychopatpl

ehh, i just use kazaa or limewire, im pretty sure that there wouldnt be the ones im looking for anyway, and im pretty sure it would be illegal for us to download and distribute Mp3s... i think if we want we should just do them by ourselves on P2P clients that way the site legality is not comprimised.

i havent had the chance to see it yet though so this is just my opinion without seeing it as i wasent a member when they were still up.
Old 06-07-2004   #6
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

why did they get rid of them? there must be a good reason
neomp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #7
Dammmmn

1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not gonna happen. Go download Kazaa, or Filetopia or some shit if you want mp3s.
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004   #8
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

I rather like not having the mp3s because of less stupid people posting. For awhile it was getting to be a huge problem and it's really toned down now. Besides, I almost never used the mp3 section, i came to talk to people really.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #9
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

The RIAA will get all up Weasel's ass if he brings them back. They target out those wh distribute them.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #10
BugitongChicken
Needs to confirm E-mail address

BugitongChicken is just really niceBugitongChicken is just really nice

wish weasel bring back those mp3's
Old 06-08-2004   #11
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by 1337
It's not gonna happen. Go download Kazaa, or Filetopia or some shit if you want mp3s.
I second that....'nuff said.
Old 06-08-2004   #12
rich101682

rich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by all
Send a message via AIM to rich101682

I know I couldn't get Kazaa to work here at school for a while, but there are many different ways of getting MP3's. Sharker can usually hook you up with just about anything, and now that I know how to do it over AOL, I can help anybody. Just send me a PM and I can look on Kazaa for anything you want.
Old 06-08-2004   #13
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by neomp5
why did they get rid of them? there must be a good reason

Ok, we had a point system back in the day (kinda like the points we have now for the store). In order to get MP3s, you had to earn points. In order to earn points, you had to make posts. It didn't require a whole lot of posts. People who were looking for MP3s found this site, posted spam to get the MP3, and went about their business. We got an overload of spammers, so therefore the MP3s eventually had to go. Damn, has it been that long since the MP3s were discontinued? Time flies...

Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #14
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

i reckon the ability to download mp3s [were the system re-introduced] shouldn't depend on the number of points you rack up, but on your rep. that way people can't get away with spamming for points - you'd have to earn the ability to download through posting interesting, substantial and worthy posts.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #15
rich101682

rich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by all
Send a message via AIM to rich101682

Quote:
Originally Said by Kali
i reckon the ability to download mp3s [were the system re-introduced] shouldn't depend on the number of points you rack up, but on your rep. that way people can't get away with spamming for points - you'd have to earn the ability to download through posting interesting, substantial and worthy posts.
Good call.
Old 06-08-2004   #16
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

it just makes more sense for the mp3s to be rewards to those who work to deserve them - i've always been one to believe in quality as opposed to quantity.

although that doesn't stop me whoring on the never ending threads
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #17
Breegalad

Breegalad has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to Breegalad
the truth

i know the only reason i first started gcoming here was for the MP3s. and i must say, i do miss 'em.

i know some people are worried that if they are brought back the only reason peaople will join ALmost Smart is for the MP3s. But look at me, i joined for the MP3s and ended up stayin'...

that and i miss free music....
The only thing I recall is Those shadows coming my way Comforting me with their searchlights To guide me home again“We will take, We will take That wretched heart away And when you come to You’ll thank us For the new you we’ve made”
Breegalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004   #18
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you may of stayed but about the 100 or so that came for 1 evanescence track posted one piece of bullshit an then promptly left!!

fucking bastards!!

DOWN WITH THE MP3's...thrice your a bit of an idiot to try an go against weasel here just coz you cant use winmx or kazza...but wtf?!!
Old 06-09-2004   #19
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Kali
I think we tried that too... in order to gain rep, you have to be given rep. It becomes a popularity contest and newbies were pretty much shut out. Note my scarce posting. I don't post often because although I've been here a while, I feel that everytime I post, I risk a billion people accusing me of spamming. Without the MP3s, people are less highstrung about posting and people can actually post in the forum like it's, well, a forum. I still want the MP3s, though. There's gotta be a way to bring them back while still maintaining harmony...

I suppose if you want MP3s, just ask Sharker.

Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004   #20
kyle
Lawl ^^

kyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kyle Send a message via MSN to kyle Send a message via Yahoo to kyle Send a message via Skype™ to kyle

the mp3s will never come back so dont make threads like this any more instead go download kazaa