Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

View Poll Results: Would you?
Yes 14 48.28%
No 15 51.72%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2003   #1
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel
Philosophical Question

Would you be willing to kill a single random innocent child if it would bring world peace?

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003   #2
moocow44
Procrastination Street.

moocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to all
well...hard question...for total world peace...sure...

Fuck Your Scene.

http://www.myspace.com/arikakaosa
Spread The Word
moocow44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003   #3
Weasel

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel
What if you had to use your bare hands? I don't know if I could bring myself to do it. It seems hypocritical to me.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 01-26-2003   #4
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy
if i was that child, i could and would.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003   #5
Chi-Master
Experienced Member

Chi-Master should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to Chi-Master Send a message via Yahoo to Chi-Master
If peace was not a facade I would sacrifice one for many. But in real life peace will never be attained. This is because it is human nature for us to fight and fear and ridicule what we do not understand. Anyway peace is boring. I believe the matrix said it the best

Agent Smith: Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization.

"Lucky in cards unlucky in love"

Rising from the ashes like the True Phoenix

Chi-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2003   #6
ALTERm4nn

ALTERm4nn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to ALTERm4nn
Weasel, are u going to kill someone? Queer question you've asked...
"Policy of less evil" - good idea... But I won't kill that child because nothing can save this world. As Danya Shepovalov said, kill yourself - save the planet.
Old 01-27-2003   #7
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth
It's a good idea, but I doubt I could make myself do it. Thinking you can kill and actually killing something are far separate from each other. For example, I have a mouse problem in my house. They crap everywhere, chew up my insulation, and make lots of noise. I hate them, and I want them all to die. But, I caught one (my dog helped - little buggers are too fast for me), and I just couldn't kill it.

Besides, why should I even waste the effort killing something so that someone somewhere else can have peace? I'm not at war with anyone. America may be soon, and I'm a part of America, but we're not the ones that will benefit the most from peace.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003   #8
ALTERm4nn

ALTERm4nn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to ALTERm4nn
Come on, it's easy! Just smash his neck... After killing the child people still won't know about "total peace" and you'll be put to death =)
Old 01-27-2003   #9
Weasel

Quote:
Originally posted by ALTERm4nn
Weasel, are u going to kill someone?
lol, no, the object was to spur debate. As for the people saying it couldn't happen, that's why the question is "philosophical". I dont think I could bring myself to do it.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 01-30-2003   #10
moocow44
Procrastination Street.

moocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to all
i still stick w/ my answer of yes, if only for total world peace.

Fuck Your Scene.

Spread The Word
Old 02-01-2003   #11
krad
Needs to confirm E-mail address

krad has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to krad
Ok, there is now a whopping total of six votes. And probably not, however if I was the child, then I'd do the same as Poopy.
I just don't see how the destruction of one, could bring total peace.
krad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003   #12
surreal
Needs to confirm E-mail address

surreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of light
I don't think I would kill the child because there needs to be a balance between war and peace to quote Siddhartha Gautama
"If the string is to loose it will not play, but if it is to tight it will break".

The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful is to lose one's balance. After which no action can be trusted.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003   #13
Blood Red
Bleed to the red

Blood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond repute

"why stop at one ? why not 10, or 100, or 1,000, hell why not 100,000 ?"
Old 02-02-2003   #14
Weasel

The point of the question is would you go against your morals and sense of right from wrong and do something horrible like that, just for a greater cause. One has nothing to do with the other in this scenario, I was just asking if the end would justify the means.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 02-02-2003   #15
lena
Newbie Member

lena is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to lena Send a message via Yahoo to lena
ha

no
lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003   #16
INCUBUS
Cave ab homine unius libri

INCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of light
If the race of man could be saved from itself by the destruction of one who among men is truly innocent. Hmmm... Is the death of an innocent worth the thousands of years worth of shit that mankind has dumped upon itself and this world? For the greater good of something that lacks a greater good? Tough question.

"That which doesn't kill us... only makes us stronger."

"Oh well... whatever... nevermind."
INCUBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003   #17
moocow44
Procrastination Street.

i'd still do it...if only for TOTAL world peace...not this regional crap.

Fuck Your Scene.

Spread The Word
Old 02-07-2003   #18
freshgurl60

freshgurl60 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to freshgurl60 Send a message via Yahoo to freshgurl60
I hear ya!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif sixfeetunder_50x50[1].gif (3.0 KB, 95 views)
Old 02-07-2003   #19
Weasel

You people have no souls.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 02-11-2003   #20
spadetje
pretty in life & pretty in death

spadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smart
Send a message via ICQ to spadetje Send a message via AIM to spadetje Send a message via MSN to spadetje
i would cuz its only one life for like thousands

.TranceAddicted.
.Hardcore.Hardstyle.Trance.
spadetje is offline   Reply With Quote