Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 10-08-2012   #21
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: How are we all again?

Quote:
Originally Said by Pittielynn View Post
Ture, and it's difficult to get that demographic back since we've all grown up and don't really want to hear from the puney teenagers anymore. ;)
Very true.

And I'll second what Nami said...these days, due to the volume of forums on the internet, the most popular ones have some sort of focus. They might have an off topic forum but in general they have some theme that attracts people--sports teams, personal interests, etc. This one has nothing "new" to offer anyone. And it doesn't help that we've all been posting here for years and years so we "know" each other.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #22
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, it would be very difficult for new users to fit themselves into the dynamic of familiarity and friendship that has developed over the years between the most consistent posters.

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012   #23
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

That's not necessarily a roadblock. We can expand our circle and have pleasant conversation with new people who share our interests. Drawing those people in, however, would require an active site admin. The Google spiders index old threads, relics that show this site's past focus. I know some members in the past have talked about creating an entirely different forum and merely continuing from there... That would require drawing in a lot of targeted traffic in order to succeed. I actually know how to do this, but I would rather be able to draw people to this site. This site has some pretty high indexing power. That's why it attracts the spambots... It ranks high on Google for several keywords.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #24
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Thats very true, and precisely why EC was arguing for another person to be made admin so that the site could be kept running and Weasel could go about his life.

Yup, and I don't want to do it anymore. Weasel put the #AlmostSmart IRC link that I wanted... about the only other thing I would have done would be to link the realtime IRC chat with the main page. I've seen some sites do this with IRC.

I barely pay attention to #AlmostSmart anymore. I mostly let my bots play in it... and occasionally use it for calculations.

If you go there, type .help internets to see a list of commands or just talk to ascii :D
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #25
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

We are all good - Tom, Alex, Bri and I. Don't know if Tom has mentioned in here or not BUT .... after almost 25 years, we have found his daughter. Roberta left Tom when she was 8 months pregnant with no explanation, no forwarding address, and only with a phone call a month later only to leave a message "you have a daughter, don't look for us". Well he did try to find them, with no luck. I began the search for her about 5 years ago, with no name to go on and only the month, year & birthday place, it proved difficult. I actually got a break when by chance I tried Roberta's name on Facebook. After having a brief dialog with her, she admitted who she was and gave me Tom's daughter's name and where we could find her. We made contact with her and she was just as surprised and excited to find him. We now plan to met in person this coming up Thanksgiving Holiday.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #26
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Now that's awesome Barb. Great news! I'm sure Tom is thrilled!
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012   #27
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Woo hoo! That's awesome news, Barb! I hope everything goes well!

On another topic, I'm very surprised that there have been no threads created regarding the presidential debates. Whatsupwiththat?!

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012   #28
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
On another topic, I'm very surprised that there have been no threads created regarding the presidential debates. Whatsupwiththat?!
Surely you would know how that would turn out... a presidential debate thread on Almost Smart...

Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz View Post
We are all good - Tom, Alex, Bri and I. Don't know if Tom has mentioned in here or not BUT .... after almost 25 years, we have found his daughter. Roberta left Tom when she was 8 months pregnant with no explanation, no forwarding address, and only with a phone call a month later only to leave a message "you have a daughter, don't look for us". Well he did try to find them, with no luck. I began the search for her about 5 years ago, with no name to go on and only the month, year & birthday place, it proved difficult. I actually got a break when by chance I tried Roberta's name on Facebook. After having a brief dialog with her, she admitted who she was and gave me Tom's daughter's name and where we could find her. We made contact with her and she was just as surprised and excited to find him. We now plan to met in person this coming up Thanksgiving Holiday.
That's awesome! I would like to know the results of this meeting. Wow! That must be groundbreaking.
Old 04-28-2013   #29
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Daughter follow up .... Yes we did drive up to TN to meet his daughter and grand kids, Ezrah will be turning 3 this year and Neveah is 6 and both are as cute as can be. Tom and his daugther got to chat and cook together but with so much going on, her in-laws showed up too, they really didnt get to have a heart to heart talk then. We have remained in contact both by phone and on FB with her ever since and are hoping they will come down to visit us this summer. Meanwhile, I have been working on our family trees on Ancestery.com and have made contact with more of Tom's relatives, mostly from his mom's side of the family.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #30
Nami
Tome Traveler

Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz View Post
Daughter follow up .... Yes we did drive up to TN to meet his daughter and grand kids, Ezrah will be turning 3 this year and Neveah is 6 and both are as cute as can be. Tom and his daugther got to chat and cook together but with so much going on, her in-laws showed up too, they really didnt get to have a heart to heart talk then. We have remained in contact both by phone and on FB with her ever since and are hoping they will come down to visit us this summer. Meanwhile, I have been working on our family trees on Ancestery.com and have made contact with more of Tom's relatives, mostly from his mom's side of the family.
How old is Roberta's daughter? That's still awesome that you guys found her! Now Tom at least has the benefit of knowing his grandkids while they're still young.
Old 04-30-2013   #31
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Jason had some interesting ideas to revitalize AS a few years back, but Eric wasn't willing to give him the admin privileges to do so. Without getting involved, I can say I see both sides. But I did think Jason's ideas would have brought AS back.

I definitely have bittersweet and nostalgic memories of this forum. Remember the old days, when every time you hit refresh, there would be a new post? I miss that.
Old 04-30-2013   #32
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

Quote:
Originally Said by Thoughtcrime View Post
Jason had some interesting ideas to revitalize AS a few years back, but Eric wasn't willing to give him the admin privileges to do so. Without getting involved, I can say I see both sides. But I did think Jason's ideas would have brought AS back.

I definitely have bittersweet and nostalgic memories of this forum. Remember the old days, when every time you hit refresh, there would be a new post? I miss that.
lol yes, very fun times for me. this place would be poppin still, but all the mods banned everyone who posted more than one post at a time.........I told them not to.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013   #33
Nami
Tome Traveler

It would help to have an active admin. This site already gets traffic... It has a lot of potential.
Old 04-30-2013   #34
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

the site had plenty of people years ago. the mods banned them all. it still has potential, but i don't trust EC as anything. he'll ban me first chance he gets, and he already has.

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 05-01-2013   #35
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute

Y'know maybe pD should be a mod, seems he is gung hoe to making the site kick.

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #36
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

the mods dont want me as a mod. i would just unban everyone

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 05-01-2013   #37
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Just don't unban the spammers.

Or SpAz.

I think everyone just grew up and moved on....and, like Blackass stated, got tired of arguing on the internet.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013   #38
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

lol spaz. no, i actually do remember wanting him banned. n i would never unban spammers. i hate that pornobot spam shit.

lol shit makes me laugh though. people like spaz. what a bunch of crazy people over the last 10 years here. hahaha such funny memories of arguing over the internets. fukn A remember npeom5? i wonder if he remembers me at all? that would be funny. i wonder if he still hates god and sports LOL

ah man... Bleed Blackass is right. We have all grown up, but we can't forget how fun stuff is. we gotta bring the people back. send out a mass email to the registered users with more than 50 posts. tell em to come back. free hat.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 05-01-2013   #39
Nami
Tome Traveler

Oh, wow. I never even realized that Bleed Black=Blackass. I should've just looked over the old threads.

As far as SpAz goes, you never know. Maybe he has grown into an adult. He's gotta be somewhere around the same age as I am... I'm about to leave my twenties behind (at least biologically). Then again, he has probably forgotten this site by now.

Mods are limited. There are certain functions that only admins can perform. That is why we need an active admin. If this site is going to be resuscitated, it's going to need admin cooperation. VB forums allow for more than one admin, but there are certain factors that play into why it is unlikely for this site to gain another admin.
Old 05-01-2013   #40
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

send out an email. ther'es got to be a way to mass email the users. i used to get a "happy birthday" email from AS back int he day.

yeah, Bleed Black is Blackass. i kept calling him Bleed Blackass and he eventually changed it lol

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina