Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 04-24-2012   #1
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
I PASSED MY THESIS DEFENSE!

I AM SO EXCITED/RELIEVED/HAPPY THAT ALL I WANT TO DO IS USE CAPS!!!!

All I have is one more homework assignment, one more class, one more final, and NO MORE school!

And I gotta get my thesis bound.

And then, ladies and gentlemen, I will have my Masters of Arts!
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #2
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I PASSED MY THESIS DEFENSE!

That's so awesome!!

I mean...

THAT'S SO AWESOME, CONGRATS, JENN!! ;D ;D ;D

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #3
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

Congratulations although I have less than a hint of an idea of what you are talking about beyond its importance to graduating from college.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #4
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

WEEEEEE! ME TOO! SUCCESSFUL THESIS STUDENTS UNITE!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Party time?

(Soon. I have to make a few graamatical revisions and then I will be ready to bind mine too!)

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #5
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone! It feels soooo good.

^ So, Danielle, when you said you were accepted into grad school, does that mean you are going for your PhD? The reason I ask is usually here you don't have your thesis written when you get accepted to your Master's degree program--you write it during your Master's studies, and submit it as part of your credits for your degree (provided you choose to go the thesis route).
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-25-2012   #6
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

Congratulations to the both of you!
Old 04-25-2012   #7
Pittielynn

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
Thank you everyone! It feels soooo good.

^ So, Danielle, when you said you were accepted into grad school, does that mean you are going for your PhD? The reason I ask is usually here you don't have your thesis written when you get accepted to your Master's degree program--you write it during your Master's studies, and submit it as part of your credits for your degree (provided you choose to go the thesis route).
Nope. Master's. Here, you can do an honour's degree at the undergraduate level which basically means that you do everything that an undergrad does to graduate but you also keep your grades at a certain level and you write a thesis. I took a 5th year to write mine because a lot of graduate schools in Canada require it. Those that don't still prefer it. So this was a way of getting my foot in the door and opening other research avenues. :)

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 04-26-2012   #8
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Aha, ok, that's really neat, it's wonderful that they allow you to publish and get academic things out there sooner in your career. I mean, here, an undergrad could theoretically do those things but not necessarily for credit, or sponsored by the University. They'd have to pull some strings.

So will you be writing another thesis for your Master's degree?
Old 04-26-2012   #9
Pittielynn

Quote:
Aha, ok, that's really neat, it's wonderful that they allow you to publish and get academic things out there sooner in your career. I mean, here, an undergrad could theoretically do those things but not necessarily for credit, or sponsored by the University. They'd have to pull some strings.

So will you be writing another thesis for your Master's degree?
Yeah, it's pretty cool. Theres also journals within which undergrads can get papers published as well as undergraduate conferences where they can present papers and research.

I will be writing another thesis for my Master's. This one will likely be a comparitive study on segregated African Canadian and African American battalions in WWI, but its still pretty hard to say at this point. There's a lot of places I can go with these topics so far. I also want to look at African Canadian women's work in support of the war effort among other things.

Actually, now that I think on it, I don't recall what you wrote about for yours. What did you study?

...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 04-26-2012   #10
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

^ Yes, undergrads have the opportunity for conferences and paper publishing too, it's just harder for them to write theses.

Oooh World War I...it seems everyone forgets it to look at WWII, I think that will be fascinating!

I'll PM you what I studied. I'm a little OCD about not having my work posted where it could be google searched.
Old 04-26-2012   #11
Pittielynn

Quote:
^ Yes, undergrads have the opportunity for conferences and paper publishing too, it's just harder for them to write theses.

Oooh World War I...it seems everyone forgets it to look at WWII, I think that will be fascinating!

I'll PM you what I studied. I'm a little OCD about not having my work posted where it could be google searched.
Thats fair. I know I've had fun keeping up with everything. I'm really happy to have taken this route though.

I have to agree with you. Everyone knows what started and ended WWII but WWI is sort of left in WWII's dust. In reality, there was a lot going on in both wars. A lot of contrasting ideas about race and society that worked simultaneously together to create an explosion of conflicting beliefs and therefore tensions and hostilities. And I think, in many ways, WWI didn't solve much... it actually seems to pave the way for what happened in WWII; so in reality, people who overlook it in order to focus on WWII are doomed to never fully understand what was happening.

...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 04-26-2012   #12
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Quote:
Originally Said by Pittielynn View Post
Thats fair. I know I've had fun keeping up with everything. I'm really happy to have taken this route though.

I have to agree with you. Everyone knows what started and ended WWII but WWI is sort of left in WWII's dust. In reality, there was a lot going on in both wars. A lot of contrasting ideas about race and society that worked simultaneously together to create an explosion of conflicting beliefs and therefore tensions and hostilities. And I think, in many ways, WWI didn't solve much... it actually seems to pave the way for what happened in WWII; so in reality, people who overlook it in order to focus on WWII are doomed to never fully understand what was happening.
Yes, WWI was a HUGE influence on why WWII happened. Just ONE example is how the war's aftermath in Germany led Hitler to jump on the opportunity to lead, because Germany was reeling from the punishments of WWI.
That's just ONE example of course.

It's funny that they called it the "War to End All Wars" but no one seemed to learn their lesson. :\
Old 04-26-2012   #13
Pittielynn

Quote:
Yes, WWI was a HUGE influence on why WWII happened. Just ONE example is how the war's aftermath in Germany led Hitler to jump on the opportunity to lead, because Germany was reeling from the punishments of WWI.
That's just ONE example of course.
Absolutely. And there's sooooo many more examples.
Quote:
It's funny that they called it the "War to End All Wars" but no one seemed to learn their lesson. :\
Funny you say that. Many believed that it would also end civil rights struggles when it began too, though W.E.B. BuBois and others realized after that their beacon of hope was not as bright and strong as they initially believed.

...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 04-30-2012   #14
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, way to go! What's your degree in?
Old 04-30-2012   #15
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

English, traditional studies.
Old 04-30-2012   #16
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

That's cool! Are you going to be a teacher?
Old 04-30-2012   #17
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Hahahaha that's what everyone asks when I say "English major," except for other english majors, who tend to be the only people that know you can do A LOT with an english major. (Interesting statistic: only approximately 26% of English majors end up going into a teaching career)

Anyhow, absolutely not. I have no patience for teaching. I admire teachers, some of my favorite people are teachers, but I'd rather eat dirt.

I've got a wonderful job as a technical writer, hoping to make that into a career.