Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

View Poll Results: Is Evolution Fact or Theory
Fact 31 54.39%
Theory 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2003   #21
Penie
i love kali more than carrots

Penie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Penie
well, you cant say evelotion is a fact, we cant prove it, but in my eyes, its a very strong theroy.

the main reason to be sure that its a theroy, is simple:- there isnt a big enough time scale for evolotion - as the theroy stands right now - to work. so, the idea is viable, but something is missing.

maybe we all grew on trees, and thgen evolved a bit more?
Old 05-11-2003   #22
JansoportsBP
Trainee Member

JansoportsBP is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JansoportsBP
Well not only is it factually a theroy but there are debates on how it happend... take forexample one british idea..

That humnas branched off from apes IN WATER thats right for a perdiod of time we may have been aquatic, this explains why humans have less hair and are born instead with fat..a trait only shared by sea mamals no other land mamal is born with fatty tissue... Also note the direction hairgrows in it does fallow the flow of water from head to toe... this would also explain the more highly developed legs humans have and also the arm bone relation to whales and dolphins..
Of course humans would have been poorly adapted to full aquatic life but rather more of an amphibous life was perhaps the ranching piont somewhere around the time that the great northern african plains became flooded approx. 16,000 BC i beleive(not sure)

just another idea to throw into the mix
Old 05-12-2003   #23
Clit Crusader
Trainee Member

Clit Crusader is on a distinguished road
Nix the picture of Mike next to the planet of the apes thing. Michael Jackson is the undisputed shit of the earth.

C.C.
Old 05-12-2003   #24
rawr_guy_rawr
Well Known Member

rawr_guy_rawr has a spectacular aura aboutrawr_guy_rawr has a spectacular aura aboutrawr_guy_rawr has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to rawr_guy_rawr Send a message via MSN to rawr_guy_rawr Send a message via Yahoo to rawr_guy_rawr
no doubt about it.. although it is a striking resemblence
rawr_guy_rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2003   #25
UberBadger
Newbie Member

UberBadger has made a few great posts
LOL @ C0nR0cks

If my argument didn't sway you, this scary comparison should.
Old 05-16-2003   #26
vh0316

vh0316 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to vh0316 Send a message via Yahoo to vh0316
It's okay that you believe in evolution. We are ALL entitled to our OWN opinion.

As far as my quote about a child being born - I'm simply referring to how a woman can donate an egg and a dude can donate sperm and CREATE a child. But, who knows, maybe a little monkey crawls into a woman's uterus and a child is formed from that....
Old 05-16-2003   #27
vh0316

And, the truth of the matter is - no one REALLY knows when/where we came from - it's all speculation. For the religious peeps it's creation and for those that don't like the idea that we were just created it's evolution or some other theory that men come up with.

Isn't this a DEBATE forum? It would seem that people are going to have different ideas about things and they should be "allowed" to express those thoughts and ideas. Just MY opinion though.
Old 05-16-2003   #28
UberBadger
Newbie Member

UberBadger has made a few great posts
Hey buddy, I'm really quite indifferent about your "opinions." All I'm trying to point out is scientific evidence. If you have any questions, refer to the irrefutable proof I provided in my first post. Then, if you actually have some point you wish to rebut, rather than complaining about your "opinion," feel free to DEBATE that. Otherwise, go "express" yourself elsewhere.
Old 05-17-2003   #29
Clit Crusader
Trainee Member

V, i think your definition of evolution needs to be cleared up a bit. Evolution is the gradual change in a species over time and has nothing to do with monkeys in a uterus. Evolution is apparent in childbirth judging by the manner in which a child is formed inside the uterus. Evolution does not mean that everytime a child is born, it evolves from a monkey, it means that the species as a whole came from monkeys.

C.C.

(ok maybe not monkeys, but primates in general)
Old 05-19-2003   #30
vh0316

CC - You are probably right. It has been quite a few years since I've learned the theory of evolution (between 10 and 13 ago - maybe more), but then again, when I learned about it - it was a different story. It really was a simple theory - just like creation was a simple theory.

Thanks for clearing it up for me and not being a dick about doing it.

I also feel that every individual should believe what he/she wants to believe and not just "take someone's word for it" - that's what makes you an individual.

V
Old 05-20-2003   #31
Clit Crusader
Trainee Member

No problem V, glad 2 help.

C.C.
Old 05-27-2003   #32
jgibbons
Trainee Member

jgibbons is an unknown quantity at this point
I was of the understanding that a theory was a hypothisis that has been proven, wouldn't that make evolution realy a hypothisis since it has not been proven?
jgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003   #33
jgibbons
Trainee Member

jgibbons is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a very spiritual person, note difference from religious, I have always believed that both evolution and creation could exist together. Picture this, if you were God ,,a parent,, and you had to expain something complex to a 2 year old,,, humans,,, wouldn't you use a story?

I believe that God works in the seconds and the Details and isn't that what evolution is?
jgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003   #34
poppyat1
Needs to confirm E-mail address

poppyat1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to poppyat1
hey guyz.. anyone read abot 2001 space odyssey and its sequels...
it gives a more morbid theory about how we originated..
it seems we were trained by trainers from beyond. (aliens)
howddaya like that huh??/

i recommend guys read that ,....)
poppyat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003   #35
pinkstar

pinkstar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to pinkstar
I read that..

It seems too much like a theory to me that the scientists developed to explain unexplained stuff. =X
pinkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003   #36
NOREGRETS

NOREGRETS is just really niceNOREGRETS is just really nice
Send a message via Yahoo to NOREGRETS
I too support the ones who says Evolution is a fact .... If you are calling it a theory just because its not realizable with your perceptions, then just give some brain to it .... even now if you see different geographical areas, people are different ...this supports the concept of adaptation ...and evolution is build upon adaptation ...its just a matter of survival of the fittest ....
Old 06-26-2003   #37
Tight as a Virgin
Very Experienced Member

Tight as a Virgin is an unknown quantity at this point
Creation and Evolution are not mutually exclusive...animals created so they could inhabit the earth when it was in its infancy, but which developed as the world changed. Evolution doesnt go against God, as something still had2start it all!

When life gets you down, EAT MALTESERS!!!
Tight as a Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003   #38
INCUBUS
Cave ab homine unius libri

INCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Tight as a Virgin
Creation and Evolution are not mutually exclusive...animals created so they could inhabit the earth when it was in its infancy, but which developed as the world changed. Evolution doesnt go against God, as something still had2start it all!
I would say something here but I seem incite the idiot savants in these debates...So I'll just rate ya.

"That which doesn't kill us... only makes us stronger."

"Oh well... whatever... nevermind."
INCUBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003   #39
Tight as a Virgin
Very Experienced Member

Tight as a Virgin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cheers love xxxx

When life gets you down, EAT MALTESERS!!!
Tight as a Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003   #40
IAmSoVerySpecial
Sexy Bitch

IAmSoVerySpecial is divineIAmSoVerySpecial is divineIAmSoVerySpecial is divineIAmSoVerySpecial is divineIAmSoVerySpecial is divineIAmSoVerySpecial is divineIAmSoVerySpecial is divineIAmSoVerySpecial is divineIAmSoVerySpecial is divine
Send a message via AIM to IAmSoVerySpecial Send a message via Yahoo to IAmSoVerySpecial
Has anyone seen the episode of Friends where Phobe rags on Ross for being a big supporter of evolution? It's awesome
I think that anyone who believes that we evolved from apes must be insane. Yes, we do have similarities, and certain animals have evolved from others. If you look at our DNA structure and our whole genetics process, it is far more complicated than any of an animal. Also, just the way our bodies work are an explanation in themselves. All the different glands, cells, and the many complexities of the brain. Everyone knows about Adam and Eve, so I dont understand what the problem is.

well, almost everything...
IAmSoVerySpecial is offline   Reply With Quote