Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

View Poll Results: Do you think the use of profanity is on the increase?
yes 5 33.33%
no 2 13.33%
Blank off 8 53.33%
I dare not say,you know who is looking. 2 13.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2006   #1
butter
Newbie Member

butter is on a distinguished road
Do you think the use of profanity is on the increase?

Do you think the use of profanity is on the increase?
:0 I think profanity is on the increase, and unless used excessively it is not a problem.
I also think our tolerance to profanity has increased. Some of the language used in movies, music etc would have never been allowed years ago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/matt9876/Shawn%202/7d76b794.gif

Last edited by Grunt; 06-13-2006 at 02:41 AM. Reason: jj
butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #2
Blood Red
Bleed to the red

Blood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you think the use of profanity is on the increase?

fuck, what the fuck, why havent they banned you yet ?

this shit is outta fuckin hand......
Old 06-12-2006   #3
KootieBug
Pump-a-Licous

KootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to all
Send a message via Yahoo to KootieBug

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, wow. Tits doesn't even belong on the list, you know. It's such a friendly sounding word. It sounds like a nickname. 'Hey, Tits, come here. Tits, meet Toots, Toots, Tits, Tits, Toots.' It sounds like a snack doesn't it? Yes, I know, it is, right. But I don't mean the sexist snack, I mean, New Nabisco Tits. The new Cheese Tits, and Corn Tits and Pizza Tits, Sesame Tits Onion Tits, Tater Tits, Yeah. Betcha can't eat just one. That's true I usually switch off . But I mean that word does not belong on the list.
Old 06-12-2006   #4
butter
Newbie Member

butter is on a distinguished road

What?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/matt9876/Shawn%202/7d76b794.gif
butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #5
KootieBug
Pump-a-Licous

KootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to allKootieBug is a name known to all

your too young to know George Carlin
Old 06-12-2006   #6
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

It's kind of annoying when people substitute f-bombs between every word in their sentences to make up for their lack of English skills. Same thing when rappers use fuck as gap fillers in their lyrics.

Also, I don't believe the standards for MPAA movie ratings have changed much from "year's ago" ever since the 7 banned words were introduced. Maybe there are more R rated movies for language, but if you don't want to hear it don't watch R rated movies.

Has tolerance for profanity increased? Certainly not on mediums regulated by the FCC. Ever since the nipplegate fiasco christian conservative parenting groups have been complaining their ass off. Oh, and by the way our good friend George Bush is going to sign a law that makes the fine for profanity $325,000 on broadcast television.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #7
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

fucking swear. the worst thing is, is someone who says not to swear, yet they say "freaking" or "friggin." If you're not going to swear why even make reference to a swear word? dumbass fuckheads.. can't they swear properly?!

as john said it...fuck what the fuck.

ban it on tv. how you going to ban it outside of tv? fucking assholes. you can't. It's more annoying to hear a *BEEP* than what the person is actually saying. jerkoffs. i hate them.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #8
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute

Side Note:

Why does Weasel have neg rep?

EDIT: Nevermind. Glitch?

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #9
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

Quote:
Originally Said by Savage_Nature
Side Note:

Why does Weasel have neg rep?

EDIT: Nevermind. Glitch?
Just testing things out.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #10
Summer Gurl
She shines like the summer sun

Summer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond reputeSummer Gurl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Blood Red
fuck, what the fuck, why havent they banned you yet ?

this shit is outta fuckin hand......
lol

Summer Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #11
ag0ny
Drowning in your awe

ag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ag0ny

Quote:
Originally Said by Weasel
It's kind of annoying when people substitute f-bombs between every word in their sentences to make up for their lack of English skills.
try working in construction...

T o T h e O t h e r S i d e . . .
ag0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006   #12
krashkitten
peace, love, unity, respect -

Location: Wherever I happen to be...which is currently Athens, AL
krashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to krashkitten Send a message via AIM to krashkitten Send a message via MSN to krashkitten Send a message via Yahoo to krashkitten

http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8536

As I've said before...The only reason so many people get a kick out of swearing is because so many other people freak at the sound of the word.
I'm one of those people that uses swearing when I'm angry to make things flow. Using 'fucking' and 'damn' and such gives me a pause in my speech to let my brain catch up with my mouth - without swear words I'd just be stuttering, groping for words, and looking a fool.

The use of profanity is on the rise because the use of profanity is becoming more generally accepted by various age groups.
Luke 14:26
1 Timothy 2:11-2:15

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it." - Aurthur Dent, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Quote:
"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex." - Edgar Wallace

krashkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #13
Guinness And Mohawks
So cut me open and hear me bleed

Guinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Guinness And Mohawks Send a message via Yahoo to Guinness And Mohawks

Quote:
Originally Said by ag0ny
try working in construction...
or in any factory job for that matter

Shamless Promotion: Check out The 2nd Ward
Guinness And Mohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #14
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

You kiss your mama with that mouth? Gonna grab a bar of soap and will see about that.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #15
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

lol. i talk to my mom like she's one of my friends. which is a positive thing. i acknowledge she's my parent, but at the same time we're both grown up now.

course i swear ALOT more when i'm drunk. There's more enthusiasm to my words also.

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 06-13-2006   #16
KootieBug
Pump-a-Licous

I slur more when I am drunk fuuuuuuupkkk eweeeeeeeee
Old 06-13-2006   #17
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo
*F-bleep*ing swear. the worst thing is, is someone who says not to swear, yet they say "freaking" or "friggin." If you're not going to swear why even make reference to a swear word? dumb*a-bleep* *f-bleep*heads.. can't they swear properly?!

as john said it...*f-bleep* what the *f-bleep* .

ban it on tv. how you going to ban it outside of tv? *f-bleep*ing *a-bleep*holes. you can't. It's more annoying to hear a *BEEP* than what the person is actually saying. jerkoffs. i hate them.
Yes, yes. Profanity is definitely on the increase. But I agree with you, Mateo. If you're not going to swear, then don't use watered-down substitutes either.

I'm not a huge fan of the 4-letter words, myself. Maybe it is becoming more sociably acceptable in some cases, but that doesn't change my own opinion of 'em. Cursing just becomes habit after a while, and I already have too many bad habits.

The media is always a convenient scapegoat; Let's blame them for the increase! *Points the finger of blame*

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #18
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

I wanna see you get mad Rachael. And then I want to hear you say the f word.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 06-13-2006   #19
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

I usually cuss when I'm feeling impatient or angry, or if I hurt myself on accident.

I don't mind curse words, but I think that people who use them in their language all the time sound less intelligent.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006   #20
Kortenie
on NERD PATROL

Kortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by KootieBug
Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, and Tits, wow. Tits doesn't even belong on the list, you know. It's such a friendly sounding word. It sounds like a nickname. 'Hey, Tits, come here. Tits, meet Toots, Toots, Tits, Tits, Toots.' It sounds like a snack doesn't it? Yes, I know, it is, right. But I don't mean the sexist snack, I mean, New Nabisco Tits. The new Cheese Tits, and Corn Tits and Pizza Tits, Sesame Tits Onion Tits, Tater Tits, Yeah. Betcha can't eat just one. That's true I usually switch off . But I mean that word does not belong on the list.
I rep you for that... cause I've seen that and it's amazing how this stuff just comes out of his mouth without a beat lost.

yeah it depends on who I'm aroudn.. when I'm around elders, I NEVER swear... i physically can't say a swearword at all around my parents or offiicers, etc... but for example if I'm in the woods on a cadet exercise with just other cadets my age... watch out. I also do it for the humour and when I'm really really mad.

Fully alive
And she knows how to believe
In futures.
Kortenie is offline   Reply With Quote