Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 08-25-2008   #1
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento
hmm.. Bill Nye the Science Guy

New forum i sees?

Anyone seen the commercials about Bill Nye's new series on the planet green channel? It explains lots of different stuff, how its made, how its used, and other shit. Should be half decent....

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: hmm.. Bill Nye the Science Guy

It makes me want to get the green channel on my cable provider, 'cause Bill Nye is the coolest guy in the world. I loved his show when I was a kid.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #3
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

bill bill bill, bill nye the science guy. then ghostwriter would come on until they replaced it with wishbone, which pissed me off at first, then wishbone was really cool. what's the story wish bone? ha

i watched something the other day with bill nye on it. i think it was NGC or discovery or maybe even tlc but i doubt it. hadn't seen him in forever.

and what's the green channel? i'd love to see more of him.
Old 08-25-2008   #4
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Ghostwriter was awesome. And so was Wishbone.

How come they won't bring all the cool shows back? A new generation of PBS watchers needs to be exposed to these awesome shows.

Uhh, back on topic...my parents have the discovery channel package, and I have seen a lot of those 'green' shows lately. I wish they'd show more of those on basic cable like TLC or the regular Discovery Channel, or even on PBS. I'm not a huge recycler or anything, but some of the shows demonstrate really easy ways to help the environment.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Jenn and tonic; 08-25-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008   #5
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Don Herbert of "Watch Mr. Wizard" and "The Curiosity Shop" started what Bill Nye continued. Don Herbert, Bill Nye, Bob Ross and Liberace comprised most of my TV viewing as a kid. It's fun that when I'm in the middle of doing something, thoughts of them or an experiment or theory inserts itself in the midst of the task at hand.

One of my favorites was the "boiling a frog alive before it realizes it's being cooked" theory, which has more philosophical use than anything else. It makes a great analogy or metaphor.

Watching the science shows also offered the repetition I needed to grasp that science is necessarily based more on disproving and finding what doesn't work in an effort to find what does, at least for that point in time with what is available.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008   #6
Jugband
Andrew's spokesman

Jugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond repute

So where is Bill Nye now?
What ever happened to him?

*runs to wikipedia*

Jugband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #7
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

He spoke at HMC last year for their graduation, but I was already off campus when it happened. Sad.
I will be watching his new show, corny or not. =)

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #8
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Panda View Post
bill bill bill, bill nye the science guy. then ghostwriter would come on until they replaced it with wishbone, which pissed me off at first, then wishbone was really cool. what's the story wish bone? ha

i watched something the other day with bill nye on it. i think it was NGC or discovery or maybe even tlc but i doubt it. hadn't seen him in forever.

and what's the green channel? i'd love to see more of him.
Mannn I was just watching wishbone the other day...So adorable! I liked the secret world of alex mac too.

Never really liked Bill Nye. He annoyed me. lol

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #9
Jugband
Andrew's spokesman

Jugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
He spoke at HMC last year for their graduation, but I was already off campus when it happened. Sad.
I will be watching his new show, corny or not. =)
He was HERE and I didn't even know it!?

I hate my life.

Jugband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #10
Jabedin
Aladdin's brother

Jabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond repute

Bill Nye is responsible for my brother getting through school.

In your heart, pumping your blood
Jabedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008   #11
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

ah the awesome 80s-ish "rock music" haha.
theme song below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjpVQbNpGKo

awesome.

bill bill BILL BILL bill nye the science guy.

Quicksand!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU7t5bVfY4E&NR=1
Old 09-02-2008   #12
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jugband View Post
He was HERE and I didn't even know it!?

I hate my life.

I know, right?

He was just up the friggin' street, but NOOOOOO: I had a plane ticket. Poops.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote