Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discussion related to technology, computers, and the internet.

Old 05-16-2012   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
Building the USS Enterprise (FOR REAL!)

OK so it won't be powered by antimatter and propelled by warp engines, but there is a guy with the incredibly ballsy plan to build a 3,100+ foot-long vessel with the physical appearance of the iconic ship. There will be some necessary changes such as a spinning crew area in the saucer section to provide gravity (real artificial gravity is still a wet dream of space engineers) and the fact that most of the remainder of the massive ship will be devoted to its power source, ion engines and fuel, but it is still an exciting concept.

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #2
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Re: Building the USS Enterprise (FOR REAL!)

^ Wow! It would be amazing to see a spaceship of that size being build.
Old 05-16-2012   #3
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

I'm intrigued by your thread, but I can't seem to view your link :(

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #4
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

^ I have the same problem with the second link, the first one is working.
Old 05-16-2012   #5
Pittielynn

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. First one works for me, but not the second. :(

Also, I would like to one-up him and build a Death Star. Who is with me?!!

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 05-17-2012   #6
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about the stubborn link. The article says its been hit so many times one might have trouble viewing it. Keep trying; I saw it. It isn't a dead link.

EDIT 642AM CST it worked for me just now...

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 05-17-2012   #7
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I think NASA needs some funding, first. I'd much rather the time/money/energy be spent on creating a ship that works efficiently, not one that looks like a TV prop.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #8
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Actually, I'd think a design like the Enterprise would be a good thing. Keeping in mind though that there wouldn't actually be an Engineering section like in Star Trek as I'd imagine a most of those rear areas of the ship would be dedicated to engines, power supply, and fuel.

I would seriously like to see more money dedicated to NASA. I like watching http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv but I would much rather watch real life Star Trek (or Planet Trek, as it were).
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #9
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Did that link work for you Jason? If not, I can tell you that the only portion of this irl version of the good old 1701 that holds crew is the saucer section and even that won't be devoted exclusively to crew. They will be in a magnetically-suspended ring at the outer edge of the saucer. All other parts of the ship will contain reactors, fuel and other necessary equipment. With an estimated cost of about a trillion dollars and a 2 decade build time (and this is AFTER the orbital infrastructure is put in place), I might be watching its maiden voyage from my deathbed.

Still, it is exciting that someone is even considering it.

EDIT: Yes, foxyphoenix. It seems to me that a simple (albeit gigantic) cylinder would be a much easier device to design and build. "Bob's" plan is not at all practical. Fun, yes. Audacious, yes. Practical, NO.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 05-18-2012   #10
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I agree that it is fun. And it may be audacious enough to get some gung-ho fans to finance it. Perhaps fun is what we need for the space program to be considered useful again?

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #11
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by ablethevoice View Post
Did that link work for you Jason? If not, I can tell you that the only portion of this irl version of the good old 1701 that holds crew is the saucer section and even that won't be devoted exclusively to crew.

It did work but I went to it not long before I was going to sleep and so I didn't look around everywhere. I shared it on my Facebook page just to have my friend Nick comment to say:
"Bout time you discovered this.
And it's not gunna happen. Not in the least."
and
"You convince Noam Chomsky and Steven Hawking to exchange their celebrity for leadership roles under Neil deGrasse Tyson as the public face of the endeavor and maybe... oh, so maybe. Just, maybe.and then... Needless to say the asshats in charge are doing it wrong."

And he's totally right.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #12
Pittielynn

The link is working for me now. When it did, I think I read something about the website needing to be moved to a different server in order to handle all the visits the site was getting. :/

...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade