Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Threads That Never End

Threads That Never End They go on and on my friend.

Old 04-06-2012   #1421
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
Re: What is the last movie you saw?

Heya.

back again
Grabbing a thread and raising it up from darkness for two reasons:One, I want to mention a movie, and two, YOU'VE NEVER SEEN YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN???????
*my doctor would have a fit if he could have seen my blood pressure just now**

Anyway, on an utter whim, having never seen or heard of the title before, I stumbled across a low-budget marvel titled Plaga Zombie. Made with obvious nods (almost rip-offs, but all in love) to the likes of Peter Jackson's over the top gore classic Dead Alive as well as Evil Dead and others, Plaga Zombie tells a standard story of an odd group of mismatched friends trapped in (in this case) a high-rise apartment building by said zombies. The story is standard; the pleasure is in the details. For instance, the zombies are created by Government-approved inoculation of a few people by ALIENS (!)

Other than the zombie story, you are actually treated to some halfway decent character development which behooves you to read the subtitles in the first 15 minutes of the film at least. Being made in Argentina, you would sort of expect them since the actors aren't speaking English.
Anyway, as I said, the pleasure is in the details and once the real mayhem begins, seasoned viewers of extreme gore horror/comedy should have great fun watching our heros dispatching the zombie hoards in creative (and derivative) ways. You'll have fun picking out all the scenes which reference another film. Now, I say all this and you might be thinking I criticize; I'm not. In fact I'm in awe of the entire film crew for doing such a good job on such a limited budget. (I'll tell you the budget later). You could tell that everyone was having a good time making the film and no one took themselves too seriously

The camera work was irritating at times with handheld tilts and zooms for no apparent reason and the "blood" was closer to orange than it was red, but WHO CARES? I had fun! I was surprised that I did, but I did. If you like zombie comedies, than I think you'll like Plaga Zombie

77/100

(Oh, the budget? $118 American!!)

http://www.vidxden.com/xgs2m3qbfmcq/plagazom.flv.html

(hope that link works; it does for me here in the US)

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #1422
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Since we didn't have internet at home for more than six months we had to find other ways to entertain ourselves. One way was finally sitting down and watch some of the many VHS tapes Tom has recorded but never viewed. One turned out to be a movie call the "Cactus Flower" (1969) starring Walter Matthau, Ingrid Bergmann and Goldie Hawn. It was a silly funny movie that we were enjoying, when sudden the tape ended 3/4 of the way thru the movie. Well after searching Tom was able to find it online and we finally got to see the end just this past week.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #1423
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Coincidentally, the last movie I saw was Young Frankenstein.

I LOVE that movie. Every time I see it I see something funny that I hadn't noticed before.

Cloris Leachman is amazing in that movie.

"He...was...my....BOYFRIEND!"
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #1424
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute

Put. The. Candle. Back.

Ovaltine!

Stop it, Doctor! You'll kill him!

Frau Brugher... nuff said - especially as every time her name was spoken the horses whinnied. The Sly Stallone/Wes Snipes film DEMOLITION MAN (which, if you haven't seen, is fucking funny, awesome, exciting and all around fun. I actually own the DVD and its a film which Barb and I like to watch maybe twice a year. It really is that much fun.)

Anyway in the PC superclean culture of the future which Stallone's character finds himself in, even manly swearing (ah, no shit!? and the like) is rewarded by a loud buzz from any one of millions of little silver machine distributed all over the city - never very far away from anyone anywhere in the city - and the calm voice fining the offender for violations of the "verbal morality code". All the way through the film, no matter how loud the soundtrack is at any given moment while Stallone is bellowing his lines and tossing the occasional verbal immorality in there, sharp-eared listeners can hear that stupid buzzer go off every time he utters a "word"

ANYWAY
I stumbled across this incredible little short film called EIGHT BITS. I'm not sure if the link will work for you; it did for me otherwise I wouldn't be bothering to post it. I love 8 Bit's ***DOWNGRADE*** attack and the overall devolution to computer Armageddon... ya gotta see it. Its all of 6 and a half minutes long and worth it.

EDIT I just watched it again. I can't stress strongly enough just how fucking cool this short is! If you ever even saw an old school video game, you'll get it
This is just plain pure imagination at its finest.
Who knew they were French?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)

Last edited by ablethevoice; 04-13-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2012   #1425
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

The Origin Of The Species: Led Zeppelin

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 04-13-2012   #1426
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

"DESTINY, DESTINY, NO ESCAPING THAT FOR ME...!"

Just saw The Irony Lady last night. Meryl Streep was, as usual, perfection. Great movie.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012   #1427
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by ablethevoice View Post
ANYWAY
I stumbled across this incredible little short film called EIGHT BITS. I'm not sure if the link will work for you; it did for me otherwise I wouldn't be bothering to post it. I love 8 Bit's ***DOWNGRADE*** attack and the overall devolution to computer Armageddon... ya gotta see it. Its all of 6 and a half minutes long and worth it.

EDIT I just watched it again. I can't stress strongly enough just how fucking cool this short is! If you ever even saw an old school video game, you'll get it
This is just plain pure imagination at its finest.
Who knew they were French?
That was crazy.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #1428
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

"Vould you like to have a roll in ze hay? It's fun! Roooollll, rolll, roolll in ze hay!"

I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012   #1429
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Darkest Hour
I <3 alien invasion movies!
Old 04-17-2012   #1430
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Part of The Prince Of Egypt, which was, for some mysterious reason, playing on TV at 3AM.

It's a good movie - good score, as well. Good... story....

Before that, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Despite the graphic-ness, it's entertaining.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 05-01-2012   #1431
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

Glory

Dang you Charleston'ians, you killed them all! ^_^
Old 05-16-2012   #1432
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing

Maybe I grew old but the details of the plane and subway scenes kinda disturbed me..
..and what happened to the happy endings of the movies? Where did they go?

--
Also: Rob Roy
Old 05-16-2012   #1433
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
Knowing

Maybe I grew old but the details of the plane and subway scenes kinda disturbed me..
..and what happened to the happy endings of the movies? Where did they go?

--
Also: Rob Roy
KNOWING was a FUCKING intense movie - but only the first time I saw it. The second time, it was kinda...thin, but I'll not soon forget its impact on me the first time.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 05-17-2012   #1434
Zanahoria_Picante

^ Huh. My friends and I found Knowing to be a laugh-a-minute comedy, mostly because of Nicolas Cage. We saw it in the theatre the first time, and actually walked out before the ending was done, after some stifled heckling, once we realized what it was supposed to be (and we rarely do that). Then again, it may just be our odd view of the universe at work (and again, our quizzical distrust of Nicolas Cage). I remember the plot being pretty good, pretty involved--and I do remember there being well-wrought suspense, as you said--but there's just something about him that sucks the believability out of any story... much like Tom Cruise and Meg Ryan (ugh), the former being an infinitely better actor, but also self-satirical in the most comical way.

Sorry to dissent; Knowing was much more likeable than many alien movies. It wasn't as good, however, as Super 8, but was incomparably better than a movie known as... Paul, which I forgot the name of (I just asked my sister) and which was so abhorrently, painfully unwatchable and insipid that we turned it off 1/4 of the way through.

Just random thoughts....

Anyway, last movie I sawr in theaters: The Avengers. Wondahful!

Last movie I sawr at 'ome: Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. "Heh!"

(This is my Palatino Linotype post. Just FYI.)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 05-17-2012 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Former/Latter fail.
Old 05-17-2012   #1435
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

After all the hype, I was quite disappointed in Super 8. You notice how quickly it disappeared from the theaters?

Last film I watched was THE CABIN IN THE WOODS. It was the same type of film as was SCREAM (deconstruction of the genre) but where Scream was handled deftly and gracefully, TCITW was so self-conscious and ham-handed it was painful to watch - but there were a few witty lines.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 05-22-2012   #1436
Zanahoria_Picante

^ That is true, but it was still a charming movie. The dialog and cinematography (and score) were what really made Super 8, even more than the plot itself. Why did it disappoint you?

Just saw Ju-on. Super spooky.

Horror movies don't usually get to my sister and I, but that one... not good news. The plot was a little confusing (a lot a little confusing), but the scares made up for it. Worth a see.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 05-25-2012   #1437
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

last cinema film for me was Avengers....and I must say...dammnnnn was a good fine film..

I haven't enjoyed a big blockbuster spectacle film for along time...not since I saw the limited re-release of Back To the Future last year...and damn was that fine too :D

but last DVD film? hmmm think it was Vanishing Point...not the original 70's one, but the 90's "Remake" with Vigo Mortisson(sp?) in....I always did prefer that one as the original was too much sex, drugs and against the "man" which was a-typical of that style of film in that era, whereas the 90's one is more wholesome, husband trying to get home to his wife etc....dunno maybe I just go for the mushy stuff at times lol

Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #1438
Christian
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Said by ablethevoice View Post
KNOWING was a FUCKING intense movie - but only the first time I saw it. The second time, it was kinda...thin, but I'll not soon forget its impact on me the first time.
Yea, it was intense, though I'd have liked to see a happy ending for the four main characters at least.

Last movie seen: Twister.
Old 05-26-2012   #1439
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Serenity, after binge-watching* all of Firefly within a day and a half.

"I am a leaf on the wind: watch me soar". =(

*for the Nth time, of course.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012   #1440
Zanahoria_Picante

^ Serenity is the best! As is Nathan Fillion, in general. Somehow, I haven't seen Firefly, but it seems a necessary course eventually. ^_^

Last watched:

The Village followed by Pride and Prejudice. They're actually eerily similar in some ways.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;