Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 11-04-2010   #1
argentmoon
harajuku girl

argentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to argentmoon
Pretty dang gross.

Blogger and nutritionist Joann Bruso celebrated an unusual birthday this past March: the one-year anniversary of a Happy Meal on her office shelf.

Exactly one year ago, Bruso purchased a McDonald's Happy Meal --something the nutritionist probably wouldn't dream of eating or feeding to a child-- for the sake of conducting a bit of a scientific experiment. The test was simple: place the Happy Meal on a shelf, right behind the computer where she does her writing, and wait.

And wait she did, for one entire year, as the burger, fries and drink moldered away on the shelf. Only, contrary to what one would expect of food left out in the air for twelve months, the Happy Meal didn't gather any actual mold.

The rest, here.

the spirit in me bows to the spirit in you

argentmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #2
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pretty dang gross.

I could be mistaken, but I think they also did this on Food Inc. documentary, if my memory serves me correctly.
They bought a burger and fries from a regular restaurant, a burger and fries from a fast food place, and then compared them as far as how long they would take break down. Pretty sick stuff. I can't remember the last time I ate at fast food place, it has to be going on almost 2 years now.
I wonder how taco bell beef would do in this study???
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010   #3
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

This doesn't happen with just fast food. I've discovered a lot of grocery store food that does the same, when left to itself.

But anyway, McDonald's is the one fast food restaurant I DEFINITELY stay away from. I'll occasionally eat at Wendy's or Subway or, more rarely, Taco Bell... but I rarely ever eat McDonald's or Burger King food.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #4
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by Funk*Sonic*7 View Post
I could be mistaken, but I think they also did this on Food Inc. documentary, if my memory serves me correctly.
They bought a burger and fries from a regular restaurant, a burger and fries from a fast food place, and then compared them as far as how long they would take break down. Pretty sick stuff. I can't remember the last time I ate at fast food place, it has to be going on almost 2 years now.
I wonder how taco bell beef would do in this study???
That was from Supersize Me. And yes, it was gross.

I had a hashbrown from McDonalds today (dad brought it to me, it wasn't like I was actually paying for it, haha) and I felt sick afterward. All of that grease and non-real-food-stuff...ugh.

Little kids LOVE McDonalds, I don't understand it.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #5
EmperorChaos

EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

It's the marketing and the happy meal, I'm sure...

but yeah, I get sick from McDonalds too.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 11-05-2010   #6
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

No, I think it's more than that. They sprinkle some sort of crack in the McNuggets or something. My 13-year-old sister is still obsessed with McDonalds, and in fact will ONLY eat from McDonalds when we go on vacations. It's rather consternating.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010   #7
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

So the real story here is, what does it do inside your body?

oh wait, i forgot we shit and throw up so nothing to worry about.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010   #8
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/...l?ref=carousel

It's not just McDonald's.

Quote:
So there we have it! Pretty strong evidence in favor of Theory 3: the burger doesn't rot because it's small size and relatively large surface area help it to lose moisture very fast. Without moisture, there's no mold or bacterial growth. Of course, that the meat is pretty much sterile to begin with due to the high cooking temperature helps things along as well. It's not really surprising. Humans have known about this phenomenon for thousands of years. After all, how do you think beef jerky is made?
Old 11-07-2010   #9
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pitcairnpete

I had to grab a mcdonalds the other day, it was a long day, this was the only choice, what was a man to do at this point.

pitcairnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #10
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by pitcairnpete View Post
I had to grab a mcdonalds the other day, it was a long day, this was the only choice, what was a man to do at this point.
You get a burger and fries on a combo meal or something...
YOU DON'T HAVE TO TAKE THE ENTIRE RESTAURANT!
-=-=-=-
Old 11-07-2010   #11
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by pitcairnpete View Post
I think we've all been there...once on a rare occasion probably isn't going to do much damage. The problem is the people who regularly eat that stuff.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010   #12
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

so what are you going to do? start complaining about food and stop eating? WTF, STUFF YOUR FACES AND SHUT.. OMOMOMOMOMOMOMOM

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-07-2010   #13
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for McDonald's french fries without salt; they will be forced to make fresh fries for you every time, because they always automatically salt their fries. Then, when you get to the window, ask for salt packets.

Well, maybe don't do the second thing.

('Cause you know most people are still going to continue eating this stuff, no matter how quasi-organic it is proven to be. It seems.)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #14
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Ask for McDonald's french fries without salt; they will be forced to make fresh fries for you every time, because they always automatically salt their fries. Then, when you get to the window, ask for salt packets.

Well, maybe don't do the second thing.

('Cause you know most people are still going to continue eating this stuff, no matter how quasi-organic it is proven to be. It seems.)
You can ask for fries without salt at any place. THEY WILL make you FRESH NEW FRIES. then of course, ask for salt :) if they give you a look, say, you fuckers always put too much

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-08-2010   #15
EmperorChaos

But don't use the 'F'-word because you're a Zanahoria Picante and it isn't in your vocabulary even though you have a dictionary... abridged, though it might be, I added in that word and a number of other colorful gems.
-=-=-=-
Old 11-08-2010   #16
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
You can ask for fries without salt at any place. THEY WILL make you FRESH NEW FRIES. then of course, ask for salt :) if they give you a look, say, you fuckers always put too much
Oh, hehe, I didn't know that, that you could do that anywhere. Someone told me about that "trick" not very long ago; it's very crafty, somewhat underhanded--but awesome to get fresh stuff every time. <:D

It's also probably yet another reason why near' all fast food workers are misanthropes. And rightly so. ;)

There seriously must be some sort of psychological com-part-mentalizing that goes on with fast food, though: You know it's bad for you, downright disgusting at times if you think about it, but look at how many (even informed) people still eat it. I know I'll keep eating McDonald's fries, even knowing full well that they "are not of the natural world." (I pretty much refuse to eat any fast food meat, though. But then I am extremely picky when it comes to meat, in general, for some reason. It can be creepy.)

Even if you put a Happy Meal in a time capsule, and opened it up 50 years later (and found of course that its dark matter was unscathed by the temporal journey), people would still keep eating McDonald's (because, of course, Mickey D's would also still exist in 50 years). ;)

Quote:
Originally Said by EC
But don't use the 'F'-word because you're a Zanahoria Picante and it isn't in your vocabulary even though you have a dictionary... abridged, though it might be, I added in that word and a number of other colorful gems.
It's only expletives-abridged, I hope. And why would you do that? That's incredible rude! ;D

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 11-08-2010   #17
EmperorChaos

It was an accident... I slipped and fell and spelled it... somehow.

I'm tired.

I need some birthday uppers. You know, like balloons.
-=-=-=-
Old 11-08-2010   #18
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
It was an accident... I slipped and fell and spelled it... somehow.

I'm tired.

I need some birthday uppers. You know, like balloons.
You did? I actually don't recall you writing that anywhere. Hmm.

Balloons are good. Go out, and get some unsalted fries, and some helium balloons, and all will be right with the world. ;)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 11-08-2010   #19
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
You're so evil

I'd also like to order a MacGyver, some day.

^_^

I stopped to eat at McDonalds and Co. a while ago; I still like to eat at 'more healthy' fast food places, though.
Old 11-08-2010   #20
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pitcairnpete

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
You're so evil

I'd also like to order a MacGyver, some day.

^_^

I stopped to eat at McDonalds and Co. a while ago; I still like to eat at 'more healthy' fast food places, though.
Do we all favour subway??

pitcairnpete is offline   Reply With Quote