Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Music

Music Discuss the latest in music. Talk about your favorite or most hated bands and artists. Music theory, tabs, and your recordings also go here.

Old 11-16-2009   #1
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute
What do these song lyrics mean???

But when a man is wrong
Facing all the mistakes
That he's done
There can be no right

This is a song from SEAL called, When A Man Is Wrong, which is an amazing song from his Human Beings studio release.

Anyway, what does he mean by that? How can there be no right if and when you're facing all the mistakes that you've done? I mean how can there be no right if and when you are facing up to all your mistakes?

Maybe it would be more helpful to post the lyrics to the complete song:

The perils of loneliness
The pleasures of love
That we find

The argument's imminent
The look on her face
As we cry

There's nothing when you fall alone
There's hate when you fall by the side

You know that I didn't mean to hurt you love
I just need some light
On my life

But when a man is wrong
Facing all the mistakes
That he's done

There can be no right

Now if I was a holy man
And you were the devil song
And if I liked what you played
Does that mean you're right and I'm wrong

Know there's danger in a serenade, my friend
There's even love if you find what you want

And there's reasons to be afraid
And reasons to open your heart

But when a man is wrong
Facing all the mistakes
That he's done

There can be no right

Oh my friend
I sometimes get things wrong to get things right

Oh my friend
You know I sometimes get things wrong to get things right

Oh my friend
Nana naa na naa

When a man is wrong
Facing all the mistakes that are done

When a man is wrong
When this man is wrong
There can be no right

There can be no right
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 11-17-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #2
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do these song lyrics mean???

Could it mean that a person's mistakes, if viewed as a whole collection, make it impossible to put up a pretense of being "right"?

Or that seeing such a collection overshadows any attempt to compensate for them by doing right?

Or that "righteousness" (being right) is only a distant, seemingly unreachable, thought in view of so much wrong?

It is rather vague, though; it could mean whatever you'd like it to mean (and be "right"). :D

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #3
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

^ It's kind of hard to draw your own meaning to that set of lyrics when it seems to be ironic to me, that's why I'm curious to make sense of it...
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #4
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Funk*Sonic*7 View Post
^ It's kind of hard to draw your own meaning to that set of lyrics when it seems to be ironic to me, that's why I'm curious to make sense of it...
Hmmm. Well, then. I don't know. It could be one of those three hypothetical meanings (in my first post). Or maybe it is more ironic: This man feeling helpless to reach this level of "perfection" expected of him from whomever this girl is.

*Shrug*

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #5
Narnar
your PUR-FECT enemy

Narnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond repute

After reading through the lyrics the first thing I got from it as a whole was that it was about a relationship based around all the wrong things. When looking back at the reasons he was there and the mistakes he's made he came to the conclusion that even if he faced all his mistakes there was no way to make it right. Everything was there for the wrong reasons.
Narnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #6
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

When you get in an argument with your girlfriend, she's always right.

Look at the second and fourth stanza. No matter what he says, she's going to bring up shit that he did in the past, "all the mistakes/That he's done" to try to blame him for everything.

Then "I sometimes get things wrong to get things right" is where he admits he's wrong, regardless of whether he is or not, so he can get make up sex.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #7
The-Chadster
truth is more important than facts

The-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart god

I kind of got that he is saying when a man is wrong and facing his mistakes, there is no justification for them. He is wrong.
We'll stop the grieving
But first we'll need to stand and take a beating
The-Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009   #8
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

^to add to that, I thought a Man wouldn't make mistakes, therefore he's always right. infallible even

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote