Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 07-17-2008   #1
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Our Jobs

I was wondering how many of us had jobs, and what everyone's job is, what it's like, whatever. hopefully no one will think i'm prying or being too nosey.

And I was also wondering how many of you were happy with your jobs and get satisfaction or are pleased with yourself at the end of the day. How many of you have a feeling of accomplishment from work, and how often?
Old 07-17-2008   #2
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine
Re: Our Jobs

i am an accountant for my grandfather's company. I hate it but i get paid pretty good, so i cannot complain.
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #3
CrunchBite
explosions are half all the fun

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine

Lifeguarding at Geauga Lake's Wildwater Kingdom. I wish the pay was better but the sheer number hours makes up for it. The satisfaction: kicking the shit-heads out of the pool for aggravating me.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #4
Gerbil 01
Bite me bitch!!

Gerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond reputeGerbil 01 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Gerbil 01 Send a message via Yahoo to Gerbil 01

Air force... maintaining "glass making bombs".

It fucking sucks right now because of all the other base's that have made national news with moronic mistakes lately. Too damn political. Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy serving my country and I think nukes are a key deterent in keeping other governments from attacking us on our own soil. I just don't agree with things that are happening right now with the overhaul of the nuclear career. You don't correct errors by making more rules/regulations which create more opportunities for human error.

Plus the pay blows ass. Sucks not getting overtime pay for working 10 hours a day for a normal work week, and 14+ hours a day everyday for extended periods of time. I make the same pay as the guy who washes towels and wipes sweat off basketballs at the base gym.

"Laughing at the ignorant, gullible, delusional, stupid, whining, and self righteous assholes... since 1982." *

*Disclaimer - If you read the above statement, and it offends you, then you'll know I'm not laughing with you, I'm laughing at you.*
Gerbil 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #5
sa'alyg
Bad Ass Jesus

sa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to sa'alyg

I worked at Huddle House as a cook for three months and now I'm looking forward to working at Pizza Hut.

Click above to visit The Easytoon Place
sa'alyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #6
CrunchBite
explosions are half all the fun

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine

Quote:
Originally Said by Gerbil 01 View Post
Plus the pay blows ass. Sucks not getting overtime pay for working 10 hours a day for a normal work week
Don't I know that feeling.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008   #7
GoddessDivine

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

Quote:
Originally Said by sa'alyg View Post
I worked at Huddle House as a cook for three months and now I'm looking forward to working at Pizza Hut.
looking forward? why did you quit hh? a man that can cook nice
-Obi Wan

Old 07-17-2008   #8
sa'alyg
Bad Ass Jesus

sa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe, my boss decided that since I don't smoke, I shouldn't have smoke breaks. I took one, anyway and talked to my (then) girlfriend. While I was on break, I got an order and took an extra minute to hang up. We came to the agreement that I should quit. :/

I was being sarcastic. I can't wait until I can find a decent job. The food industry sucks. But yes, I'm a good cook. My father loves cooking and he's taught me a lot. Working for three months in a diner really helped me, though. I love making omelets now.

Old 07-18-2008   #9
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

i make good omelets, and am glad people actually responded. :-)

I work at a day program for adults with mental disabilities. I help them learn life skills that allow them to live more independently and function more independently in the community.

Lately my supervisor, they lady over the day program, has been giving me data to collect and chart and all this so she can plug it in to make the graphs that get our facility paid. A guy with a Master's Degree is wanting to work with us, and he's going to be "helping me out" with all the paper work. I can't wait until I get my bachelor's. Then I'll be making more and already knowing how to do part of their job.

Right now I deal with shit, urine, snot, vomit, foul odors, having to feed and risk getting it coughed back on me.
But then I get lots of praise from my supervisors, lots of thanks, lots of pats on the back because I go above and beyond when it comes to helping people and being a positive source of motivation to all of our clients. And I really look out for them and care about their best interest, and they all know that I genuinely do care, which most people don't. That's just me. A person is a person and should be treated like a person. I also do volunteer stuff, which is brownie points, plus I just really like being involved in my job and helping out in the community. i was part of a hab plan yesterday with a very difficult parent, and my supervisor said after the fact (i left the meeting early) that she really liked me, which she said was a BIG compliment coming from that woman, and she said something like that's another jewel in my crown...whatever that means.

The pay could be better, but I've only been working there 4 months and am back to making what i made at the group home when i had worked there almost three years. i see myself moving up because they love me, i do what's asked and more, i try to stay positive, i don't bring personal issues to work, i take my job seriously, and i'm good at all i do.

another downside is that the supervisors give me lots of praise which annoys other staff and makes me look bad to them. the stuff the supervisors love that i do makes my co-workers hate me because i do stuff that they're too lazy to do...like interacting with the clients and going over their training objectives and trying to teach them.
Old 07-18-2008   #10
GoddessDivine

^wow seems like your job would be tough. I don't think I could do that. I could def help animals though. I worked with sick animals for years but the pay was horrible. I just like animals more than people that is why i sucked it up, got paid shit and loved it
-Obi Wan

Old 07-18-2008   #11
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

i'm good at my job. i'm good with our clients and understand a lot of the behaviors the other folks don't. they're older and have different views and don't understand that they are people and react just like other people, just not always verbally. but i've been bitten and hit in the face and scratched and touched inappropriately by male clients. i work with adult male clients who tower at least a foot above me. some are over 6 ft tall, and i'm only 5. but i can handle some of the male clients that the other female staff are afraid of. it frustrates me that these women let these men intimidate them. especially this one woman i work with.

but i just can't wait to get my degree so i can be doing something else and get promoted and stuff. i know i really have an opportunity here to go somewhere, because they like me so much and i'm such a hard worker. my 3 mo. evaluation came up, and i got 3s on most everything and actually got like a 4 on one or two things, when 4 is the highest, because i do go above and beyond and go that extra mile often.

i just love my job. i'm passionate about it, overall, but i could go without changing diapers and all that. it doesn't bother me really. it's more of the lifting and all the changing their clothes that's so tedious that bothers me. and the staff not interacting with the clients, and the clients that yell and hit tables or walls or yell that get to me.

i do enjoy my job, though. none of my clients judge me or each other. most of their problems are gone soon after they arrive, and i can't imagine what it would be like if i was so happy i laughed all day. we have a couple of men and women who do that.

you just never know what's going to happen, and you get to do fun things, and teach people and help them and make a difference, if it might just be spending time with him or her so another staff isn't hateful to that person.
we have this 50 something woman who's in the military and all hard ass and one of those self righteous black women who's a hypocrite of a christian and thinks she knows all and she is wise and all this bullshit. she's always like 'well they can't do this' or 'they can't do that' or they have the mind of a child. and she says this in front of these men and women, and they get talked at instead of talked to. it just frustrates me. these are people who understand to some degree, at least, what you're saying. and you're laughing at them and talking about them. that infuriates me.

i definitely want a job sometime in the future as maybe a case manager or clients rights activist or something. raise awareness for these people and make them fit into our community better. i really look forward to what's to come in my future career.
Old 07-18-2008   #12
Pharm
Deutschland

Pharm is a name known to allPharm is a name known to allPharm is a name known to allPharm is a name known to allPharm is a name known to allPharm is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to Pharm Send a message via Yahoo to Pharm

I work at hooters

Cyanide & Happiness @ Explosm.net

ACLU:America's Communist Lobbying Union!
CNN:Communist News Network!
Kick The U.N. Out of America, Send them to France!
Pharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008   #13
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Unemployed in Colorado, but at school I work in the library as a circulation staff/reference librarian/basically anything you need at the library you can ask me for person.
But mostly I dick around on the internet for my shift at $9 an hour, next semester $9.50.
If people don't ask for help, it's company policy to assume they don't need any.

Oh yeah, and I'm usually barefoot.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008   #14
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I am not gainfully employed.

I am waiting for a mysterious cloaked figure to come before me and reveal my destiny. After that, so long suckers! (Except I'd take Dana with me.)
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008   #15
GoddessDivine

^thanks, i would gladly quest/adventure with you....as long as you slept sometimes
-Obi Wan

Old 07-18-2008   #16
sa'alyg
Bad Ass Jesus

What about me? Can I come?

Old 07-18-2008   #17
GoddessDivine

i have no problems but jason would be the leader (though everyone knows he would just be taking orders from me)
-Obi Wan

Old 07-18-2008   #18
Clamps
Meka Leka Hi Meka Hinny Ho!!

Clamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to behold

Previous I was working at my family's restaurant but have since left. Today I went on a job interview for a Head Teller position at a bank. Prior to working for my family I was working as a teller for 3 years.

Also, I'm going back to school for my accounting degree.

"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger. " The Joker

"See, I'm a man of simple tastes. I like gunpowder...and dynamite...and gasoline! Do you know what all of these things have in common? They're cheap!"
The Joker

"Kill you? I don't want to kill you! What would I do without you? Go back to ripping off mob dealers? No, no, you... you complete me."
The Joker

Clamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008   #19
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

As far as my job situation goes, see:

http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=20403
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008   #20
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!!!

DER KE DER!!!
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by Emperor Chaos; 07-20-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote