Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 11-17-2004   #1
Rock ur socks
and i'll rock them hard too !

Rock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divine
Send a message via AIM to Rock ur socks Send a message via Yahoo to Rock ur socks
Corruption covered by corruption

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...on_go_co/delay

Quote:
WASHINGTON - House Republicans approved a party rules change Wednesday that could allow Majority leader Tom DeLay to retain his leadership post if he is indicted by a Texas grand jury on state political corruption charges.
How the heck can this be? He is getting indicted for political corruption yet Republicans still want him to be Majority leader?

by the way, Tom DeLay is my best friend.

Me, IamSoVerySpecial, TOM DELAY, amy~

Last edited by Rock ur socks; 11-17-2004 at 11:27 PM.
Rock ur socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004   #2
ImpossibleDreamer
Experienced Member

ImpossibleDreamer is just really niceImpossibleDreamer is just really nice
Re: Corruption covered by corruption

In 1993, Republicans pushed through Congress a rule stating that indicted individuals could not serve as Congressional leaders.

Republicans did this to thwart a Democrat, Dan Rostenkowski, from holding a House leadership position.

Republicans also pushed to stop felons from voting, even if they had completed serving their time.

Now, Republicans wish to change the rule (that they had originally installed) so that Tom Delay can serve as a Republican leader, even if he is indicted.
ImpossibleDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004   #3
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

This is a sad reminder of the path in which our country is heading. By the way, Impossible Dreamer, congratulations on your 100th post. You went from a newbie to an official member in a matter of weeks.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004   #4
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

This was not a law, I don't think. This is the Republicans changing their own party rules.

Its nobody's buisness but theirs.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004   #5
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Bleed Black
This was not a law, I don't think. This is the Republicans changing their own party rules.

Its nobody's buisness but theirs.
This is not the Republicans changing their own rules, it's the Republicans changing a Congressional rule and, yes, it is our business.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Old 11-17-2004   #6
kyle
Lawl ^^

kyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kyle Send a message via MSN to kyle Send a message via Yahoo to kyle Send a message via Skype™ to kyle

i dont even know who this guy is
Old 11-17-2004   #7
ImpossibleDreamer
Experienced Member

For Kyles sake, here is some background on Tom Delay.

The political party that has the most members in the U.S. House of Representative is said to be "the majority." They elect a leader, called "The Majority Leader." The Majority Leader of the House of Representatives is Tom Delay. Delay wields both power and money, causing Congressional members to be beholding to him.

Center For American Progress October 22, 2004

The House Ethic Committee publicly admonished House Majority Leader Tom DeLay for misusing public funds by directing his staff to contact the Federal Aviation Administration to track down a plane carrying Democratic Texas legislators. The committee suggested DeLay's conduct may have been in violation of federal law.

DeLay was also publicly admonished by the House Ethics Committee for granting a select group of energy executives extensive access to himself and his staff over a two-day golf weekend -- while key energy legislation was pending -- in exchange for a $25,000 to $50,000 contribution to DeLay's political action committee

The House Ethics Committee also publicly admonished DeLay for offering to endorse the son of Rep. Nick Smith, who was running to replace his father after he retired, in exchange for Smith's vote on the Medicare reform act. According to the committee, DeLay told Smith -- who was opposed to the bill -- that if he voted for it, " I will personally endorse your son. That's my final offer.

DeLay held the vote open for several hours late at night to engage in this kind of conduct. Smith did not vote for the Medicare bill and his son lost his bid for the Republican nomination to succeed him.

Center For American Progress October 13, 2004

House ethics committee Chairman Joel Hefley (R-CO) said last week that Republican lawmakers have threatened him (in the wake of his panel's recent admonishments of House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-TX)

Center For American Progress September 22, 2004 Tom DeLay

The New York Times reports, "three aides who helped run a political action committee created by the House majority leader, Representative Tom DeLay of Texas, were indicted by a grand jury in Texas on Tuesday on charges that included raising illegal corporate contributions and funneling them to state candidates during the 2002 elections." The PAC, which was run by DeLay, "spent $1.5 million to help Republicans gain control of the Texas House."

July 13, 2004 Paul Krugman New York Times

As far back as 1996, one analyst described Mr. DeLay as the "chief enforcer of company contributions to Republicans." Some of that cash has flowed through Americans for a Republican Majority, called Armpac, a political action committee Mr. DeLay founded in 1994. By dispensing that money to other legislators, he gains their allegiance; this, in turn, allows him to deliver favors to his corporate contributors. Four of the five Republicans on the House ethics committee, where a complaint has been filed against Mr. DeLay, are past recipients of Armpac money.
Old 11-17-2004   #8
Rock ur socks

Rock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divine
Send a message via AIM to Rock ur socks Send a message via Yahoo to Rock ur socks

Quote:
Originally Said by kyle
i dont even know who this guy is
HES THE DUDE IN THE NICE SHIRT IN THAT PICTURE.
Hes House Majority leader.. from Houston/Sugar Land Texas.

We were required senior year to do 15 hours of political volunteering... Our teacher made us work for the republican headquarters (aka Tom DeLay Campain). The upside was all the nice parties with free food.
Old 11-17-2004   #9
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Yes, I remember when SweetSue told me that she met him (it must have been the same time you did). She said that when she told her father she shook hands with him, he told her she had to wash her hands before she could touch anything in the house. (And this was two years ago.)
Old 11-17-2004   #10
ImpossibleDreamer
Experienced Member

I hope that it was not a public school teacher, being paid with public tax dollars, who required Rock Ur Socks and other students to work for a political party affiliated campaign.
Old 11-17-2004   #11
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

Quote:
Originally Said by Rock ur socks
HES THE DUDE IN THE NICE SHIRT IN THAT PICTURE.
Hes House Majority leader.. from Houston/Sugar Land Texas.

We were required senior year to do 15 hours of political volunteering... Our teacher made us work for the republican headquarters (aka Tom DeLay Campain). The upside was all the nice parties with free food.
"Tom DeLay for Congress plz" -Shannon on Nov 2 2002. (too bad the image, shanfordelay.jpg is broken )

Edit: I cant see the one in the thread starter either :(

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004   #12
Rock ur socks

Quote:
Originally Said by ImpossibleDreamer
I hope that it was not a public school teacher, being paid with public tax dollars, who required Rock Ur Socks and other students to work for a political party affiliated campaign.
She didn't require us to work for republicans.. she just made it easy for us. She gave us tons of dates, places, and times we could go to republican headquarters and parties. She said 'If you want to volunteer for democratic party, look up the headquarters number and call them'

We were young and niave.. I don't think anyone ended up voting anyhow. Although we did attend the victory party where we stuffed our faces with really good, expensive food.
Old 11-17-2004   #13
ImpossibleDreamer
Experienced Member

It is inappropriate for a public school teacher, using public tax payer funds to "facilitate" students working for the Republican Party, but saying that they must find their way to the Democratic Party on their own. The purpose, I suspect, was to create future Republican Party voters. This is an inappropriate use of tax payer funds. Of course, this is not the fault of the students. The teacher's behavior was inappropriate.
Old 11-17-2004   #14
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

lol @ geeky kat

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004   #15
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Will the waves of anti-bush articles ever end?
Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004   #16
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Quote:
Originally Said by ImpossibleDreamer
It is inappropriate for a public school teacher, using public tax payer funds to "facilitate" students working for the Republican Party, but saying that they must find their way to the Democratic Party on their own. The purpose, I suspect, was to create future Republican Party voters. This is an inappropriate use of tax payer funds. Of course, this is not the fault of the students. The teacher's behavior was inappropriate.
I have to admit that it does look suspicious that the teacher would provide the students with all kinds of information on how they could volunteer for the Republican party, but not provide information on volunteering for the Democratic party. It's not like it would be hard for that teacher to find out that information. Actually, I wonder about the appropriateness of REQUIRING the students to volunteer for either party. Perhaps a better assignment would be for the teacher to require the students to pick one race or issue and then cover both sides and write a paper on their views. That way the students could learn to look at both sides of an issue or look at all the candidates running for a particular office.
Old 11-18-2004   #17
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento
Will the waves of anti-bush articles ever end?
In one word - NO!
Old 11-18-2004   #18
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre
This is not the Republicans changing their own rules, it's the Republicans changing a Congressional rule and, yes, it is our business.
I heard on the news today: it was an ethical rule of the Republican party.

Don't go off about the Republicans being un-ethical, neither party is ethical anyway.
Old 11-18-2004   #19
Rock ur socks

Quote:
Originally Said by Bleed Black
I heard on the news today: it was an ethical rule of the Republican party.

Don't go off about the Republicans being un-ethical, neither party is ethical anyway.
If DeLay wasn't get charged with POLITICAL CORRUPTNESS then it wouldn't be such a big deal. He would still be in the house but not a majority leader. How is it ethical to let a politically corrupt person keep their job as a politcal leader? What does that say? Bush, a republican, was voted in on 'morals' so where are these so-called morals now?
Old 11-18-2004   #20
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Bush was not in solely on morals. 51% of America is not Evangelical Christian, and further more, what specifically is Delay being charged on? And is he indicted?