Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Gamers Hangout

Gamers Hangout Forum for game addicts. PC or console.

Old 04-02-2005   #1
Sir Kent
Sir Kunty

Sir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond repute
Best Game Ever

I was gonna make this the "Top 5 Best Games Ever" thread, but for simplicities sake (and to make people have to do a little thinking about their choices), I'll narrow it down to the #1 game of all time. So what do you think it should be?

This is a hard decision. I've gone through all the usuals, like Star Craft, Diablo 2, Ocarina of Time, etc. but I know there's something better out there.

So, after a good solid 5 minutes of deliberation, I've come up with this:

Metroid Prime
Holy crap this game is incredible. I have yet to find a game that has made a bigger impact on me than this (Windwaker comes close, but not quite). The bosses are gorgeous, especially Flaghraa, the Parasite Queen, and Meta Ridley.
The storyline is perfect, and is delivered in the best way possible (screw the dialogue sequences from Echoes. Downloading files is the way a Metroid story should be told).
The world design of the various areas of Talon IV is nothing short of perfect, and the Space Pirate station at the beginning has to be my favorite level of any video game ever.
The music is effective in bringing back the feel of the old Metroid games, while still updating it to fit in a modern, 3D game.

I could go on and on... but I won't. This game is godly, and if you haven't played it yet, you're seriously missing out. So go buy it, or if you don't have a gamecube, go get one. They're cheep enough, and Metroid Prime is more than worth it.
Old 04-03-2005   #2
Mystic Thunder
Old & Wise Member

Mystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mystic Thunder
Re: Best Game Ever

Tekken 5, castlevania symphony of the night, shinmegam tensei nocturn. Mega man, there are alot of games. i cant list them all
Old 04-03-2005   #3
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

for comp: StarCraft
for game system: Halo
retro game: Duke Nukem (for DOS) ^^
Old 04-03-2005   #4
blake

blake should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to blake Send a message via MSN to blake

For computer, Total Annihilation or Warcraft III TFT. Total Annihilation was WAY ahead of its time, in game physics/graphics - everything. It has graphics FAR better than Starcraft, and came out around the same time as Warcraft 2.

Warcraft III... is my favourite game ever. I've played it more than all the other games combined.

Game System: Halo

Retro: Smash TV (SNES) - That game fucking rocked.
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005   #5
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Uggg....WC III tried way too hard. I think their ambition outstripped their technology up at Blizz. The graphics were awful, chunky and partially transparent most of the time. The zoom feature was nice, until you zoomed in and noticed that everything was a flat cardboard polygon. I much prefered the 2D graphics of StarCraft. They were PERFECT. Still -- 3D graphics can be good...just look at the Sims 2. 360 degree roatation, full zoom, and not a graphic related flaw in the whole game.
Old 04-03-2005   #6
blake

blake should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to blake Send a message via MSN to blake

I enjoyed the game play in WC III most, having four totally different races and BNet gaming (4v4, 1v1, etc) is great. The hero's are cool too...
blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005   #7
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

but that's the geatest game ever...this is the greatest game ever.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #8
ag0ny
Drowning in your awe

ag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ag0ny

wow theres like 20 threads on the same things... who cares?

T o T h e O t h e r S i d e . . .
ag0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005   #9
surreal
Needs to confirm E-mail address

surreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo2
but that's the geatest game ever...this is the greatest game ever.
That was a fucking typo!
And besides my thread was better written and more decisive.

The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful is to lose one's balance. After which no action can be trusted.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005   #10
Sir Kent
Sir Kunty

Sir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. I actually checked to see if there was a forum like this already, and there wasn't one displayed since yours had dropped off the list.
Old 04-26-2005   #11
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

Sir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond repute

It's okay.

Everyone should know that the greatest game of all time is indeed the original Super Mario Bros.
With your hands, hold the rain.

I want everyone to remember how precious life is...I didn't think too much about the future until I created it for myself...now I'm a bit more mature and have a beautiful daughter. Don't cheat yourself of a full life, surrounded by the people, things, and memories that you cherish.
Sir Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005   #12
Blood Red
Bleed to the red

Blood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.frogtoss.com/verticube

Best game ever ^
Old 04-29-2005   #13
ueatpoo
Experienced Member

ueatpoo is a glorious beacon of lightueatpoo is a glorious beacon of lightueatpoo is a glorious beacon of lightueatpoo is a glorious beacon of lightueatpoo is a glorious beacon of light

super mario bros. 3. after so many years i still love it to death.
Old 04-30-2005   #14
Mystic Thunder
Old & Wise Member

Mystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mystic Thunder

World Of Warcraft. this game ownes everything even mario
Old 04-30-2005   #15
OneEyedPirate
Newbie Member

OneEyedPirate has made a few great posts

For those of us over the age of 25 who remember the tumultuous history of gaming before the word "own" became synonymous with "conquer", and who actually knew how to manually create DOS boot menus for each game's unique memory requirements...

The epic, warmongering, backstabbing, take-no-prisoners rampage known as "Romance of the Three Kingdoms II". Until you've spent literally days at a time with no sleep plotting the downfall of your enemies, trying to outthink both computer and human opponents simultaneously, you haven't known true gaming.

You didn't use twitch reflexes, button-mashing combos, or strategy guides to defeat your enemy, you used the Ultimate Weapon: Your brain.
OneEyedPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #16
surreal
Needs to confirm E-mail address

surreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of lightsurreal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Said by OneEyedPirate
For those of us over the age of 25 who remember the tumultuous history of gaming before the word "own" became synonymous with "conquer", and who actually knew how to manually create DOS boot menus for each game's unique memory requirements...
I think I had to do that for Lemmings and Wolfinstien 3D.

The essence of balance is detachment. To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful is to lose one's balance. After which no action can be trusted.
surreal is offline   Reply With Quote