Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Writer's Corner

Writer's Corner The pen is mightier than the sword. Post your writings or poetry. Also discuss your favorite authors or books.

Old 05-29-2008   #1
HolokittyNX
Banned

Location: Southern California, but I might move back to Earth one day.
HolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond repute
Brick wall...

Okay. I've got a problem.

I don't like Tristan Murtaugh.

The other problem? He's my main character in the second Suran vignette.

So...he's a guy. And I'm starting to realize I have no concept of that whatsoever. What goes through his mind. I just...don't get the flavor of it.

And...he's Catholic. Of all things. The guy's author is a Satanic Atheist (love the stigma of that phrase), and he goes and turns himself Catholic. What the hell am I supposed to do with that?

So...I've got to find some connection with this weirdo. Ideas, other than wearing a strapon all the time (which I do anyway)?
HolokittyNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #2
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
Re: Brick wall...

arent you like half-guy Cat?

he thinks about sex all the time and it's a moral issue because the church says he shouldn't have it until married. so he dates and loses with every girl, until he meets a fellow church-goer lady.
they date, she's cute and he's funny, then 8 months into it they move in together. she becomes a total bitch, he deals with it as best he can. he asks advice from friends who tell him to dump that bitch, but one thing he never mentions and that's why he's with her, is cuz he wants to get laid and then he brings up that he's getting married to her after the year is over.
of course, the bitch isn't a bitch and is excited, he's excited, friends are excited, they get married, hit up their honeymoon by hoping on the good foot and doing the bad thing.
now they are married and his girl does nothing but nagg nagg nagg, consuming the soul of man right from him. homeboy hates every moment of his life, gets divorced, loses half of everything he owned, and after 6 months of being divorced finds out that being married isn't what it's cracked up to be, and he now makes a deal with the devil...but since he has no soul, he promises to give up his religion and just start boning broads without caring about them. he gets an STD, treats it, then after 6 years of flirting and dating, he kills himself.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #3
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I'm not sure I follow. Tristan is the Catholic... who is the guy's author who is a Satanic Atheist (I dislike the phrase because Satanists tend to think of themselves as godlike)? What would cause him to turn Catholic?

I know a few Catholics, and used to be one. I could probably help you with the character. Drop me a PM or keep it in this thread, whichever works for you.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #4
HolokittyNX
Banned

HolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond repute

*thwaps*

You're Jason Sabback, dammit. Keep up.

I'm the author. I'm the Satanic Atheist. But something is screaming at me that I have to set myself up with a challenge, and make this character Tristan Catholic. It would just make for a better story.

So I'm asking how I can immerse myself in a male Catholic character. Get inside his head, you know.
Old 05-29-2008   #5
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

modern day catholic is run of the mill man with no worries, does his job and gets paid. rarely visits church, stays up late partying, says he believes in God and often fornicates with various women, none of whom he even remotely would consider marrying.

or you have homeboy from the 14th century, The Lord is thy Word, We hum when we sing and anything else is blasphemy!

so two and two, you get a guy who can do his job right, but he questions himself as he does it well.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #6
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by HolokittyNX View Post
*thwaps*

You're Jason Sabback, dammit. Keep up.

I'm the author. I'm the Satanic Atheist. But something is screaming at me that I have to set myself up with a challenge, and make this character Tristan Catholic. It would just make for a better story.

So I'm asking how I can immerse myself in a male Catholic character. Get inside his head, you know.
Indeed I am Jason Sabback. And I apologize for the confusion. We need to work on you not being a Satanic Atheist though, but I've other reasons for that and it's perhaps for another discussion.

Okay, here we go... knowing what I know about Catholics--having been raised as one and Confirmed Catholic--I have some questions.

How old is Tristan? Nine? (Just kidding.) No, but his age is important. I have watched many Catholics around me grow up. I'm the son and nephew of a Catholic lector and Eucharistic Minister/lector, respectively. Almost the entire Sabback family is Catholic (despite us being descendents of Syria).

Tell me what you intend for the character already. If he's in school, does he make good grades? If he's work-age, does he donate time and money to the Church? Is he a full-on believer in Catholicism (tithing, doing good works, etc.) or is he a Christmas/Easter Catholic that still holds on to Catholic values and traditions (such as no meat on Fridays during Lent) who rarely attends Mass?

I think if you can answer those questions and/or provide a bit more detail about the character, I can tell you what your perfect Catholic would be.

Oh, one more thing and this is VERY important. Did he start out his schooling attending Catholic school and transfer to a high school later in life or did he remain in Catholic school all his life?
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 05-30-2008   #7
HolokittyNX
Banned

He's a 39-year-old submariner. I think I'll make him someone who went to Catholic school his whole life. Then the Naval Academy.

This is actually the second chapter I'm working on. The first is posted at my site - it just doesn't get too much into his history yet. Go to Stories -> Chronicles of Suran -> Full Steam chapter 1.
Old 05-30-2008   #8
Clamps
Meka Leka Hi Meka Hinny Ho!!

Clamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to beholdClamps is a splendid one to behold

How to get into the head of a Male Catholic 101

1. Become altar boy
2. Help priest in 'private' study

"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger. " The Joker

"See, I'm a man of simple tastes. I like gunpowder...and dynamite...and gasoline! Do you know what all of these things have in common? They're cheap!"
The Joker

"Kill you? I don't want to kill you! What would I do without you? Go back to ripping off mob dealers? No, no, you... you complete me."
The Joker

Clamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #9
EmperorChaos

Okay Cat. Gimme a day or so to have the time to read what you have so far and then I'll see what I can do about your Tristan.

Catholic school his whole life makes him a serious and ambitious man indeed.
-=-=-=-
Old 06-01-2008   #10
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking about a male friend who's a Catholic...(I've bounced from Protestant to agnostic to atheism and back again)...but this guy's been a Catholic the whole way.

And there are things about him that I don't see much in fiction. He has both a desire for and a fear of women. He wants them to be both virginal and sexual. He wants them to be sexually suggestive, but not too sexually powerful--that intimidates him (he'd never say so, but it's obvious when I see him hitting on women). He'll sometimes talk about powerful women in sexually demeaning ways--it comes off as humorous, but...--because of that fear.

I think his Catholic upbringing had something to do with that. There's also something to being a few steps removed from God--with priests, saints, the Pope--that I think also affects him, but I can't quite put my finger on it. All the smells and bells of ritual also create a sense of mystery to religion for him....I think that ritual is comfortable and beautiful for most Catholics, but it does something else to him that puts a powerful being behind an even bigger screen.

Well, that's enough psychoanalyzing my friend. I've no idea if any of that fits your story at all. I just like helping out with fiction--and, apparently, delving into the twisted mind of my friend.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008   #11
HolokittyNX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Said by cstoll View Post
I'm thinking about a male friend who's a Catholic...(I've bounced from Protestant to agnostic to atheism and back again)...but this guy's been a Catholic the whole way.

And there are things about him that I don't see much in fiction. He has both a desire for and a fear of women. He wants them to be both virginal and sexual. He wants them to be sexually suggestive, but not too sexually powerful--that intimidates him (he'd never say so, but it's obvious when I see him hitting on women). He'll sometimes talk about powerful women in sexually demeaning ways--it comes off as humorous, but...--because of that fear.

I think his Catholic upbringing had something to do with that. There's also something to being a few steps removed from God--with priests, saints, the Pope--that I think also affects him, but I can't quite put my finger on it. All the smells and bells of ritual also create a sense of mystery to religion for him....I think that ritual is comfortable and beautiful for most Catholics, but it does something else to him that puts a powerful being behind an even bigger screen.

Well, that's enough psychoanalyzing my friend. I've no idea if any of that fits your story at all. I just like helping out with fiction--and, apparently, delving into the twisted mind of my friend.
Ooh. Actually I like that - I was planning to reveal that he and his 12yo girlfriend have never gotten frisky, and I'll probably wait a long long time before anything like that happens. I want him to love her romantically, but be hung up sexually. And his hangups actually help him take care of her without being demanding physically.

Actually, this really helps, dude. I could draw a parallel between his self-imposed distance from his own sexuality (and hers), and the 'buffer' that the Church creates between him and God. He doesn't think he can ever completely do right by God, and he also doesn't think he will ever really be good enough for his girlfriend.

Wow. Thanks. I can 'feel' this in him, which is what I was going for. I wanted to avoid doing Ayn Rand style characters who popped out of her head like Minerva and breathe her philosophy instead of being actual people.