Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 11-06-2011   #1
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Earthquake jolts Oklahoma

I've just read the news that Oklahoma got rattled by a surprising big Earthquake, the biggest quake ever in that region according to the Oklahoma Geological Survey.

Quote:
Oklahoma rattled by 5.6 earthquake
Reuters
Sunday 6 November 2011 07.20 GMT

Homes damaged and roads buckled by series of shocks including the biggest on record in US state

Earthquakes of up to 5.6 magnitude have shaken Oklahoma, damaging buildings and roads and sending a handful of people to hospital.

The first quake was recorded on Saturday morning at a magnitude of 4.7. The second came on Saturday night and is the largest ever recorded in Oklahoma, topping a tremor of 5.5 magnitude in 1952, according to the US Geological Survey.

In Prague, Oklahoma, where the first quake was centred, city manager Jim Greff said part of the town library's ceiling collapsed and a chimney fell through the roof of a home. There were no serious injuries.

The quake buckled highway 62 in three places west of Prague and sent a boulder "about the size of an SUV" tumbling onto a rural road in south-east Lincoln County, said Aaron Bennett, dispatch supervisor for the county's emergency management division.

The quake was felt more than 300 miles away in Kansas City, where it rattled windows and shook houses for half a minute, a Reuters witness said.

The second quake was a shallow 3.1 miles (5 km) deep and centered four miles east of Sparks, which is east of Oklahoma City.

JL Gilbert, owner of the Sparks Vineyard and Winery, about four miles from the epicentre of the second quake, said it lasted "a good 30 seconds".

"It was a pretty good jolt. We're not used to this. We're used to being sucked up into the wind," he said, referring to Oklahoma's reputation as a tornado alley.

Earthquakes of a 4.0 magnitude east of the Rocky Mountains can typically be felt from up to 60 miles away, according to the USGS. A 5.5 magnitude quake can be felt up to 300 miles from its epicentre.

One of Gilbert's employees went to the hospital after tripping and hitting his head on a doorway while scrambling to get out of his home, Gilbert said.

[TheGuardian]
[CNN][Leonard Geophysical Observatory ]

Is it me or can it be that this year, 2011, is the year of Earthquakes? Or is the fault of the media?
Old 11-06-2011   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: Earthquake jolts Oklahoma

Yes, I felt it! It was around 10:50 last night. There have been quite a few earthquakes here in Oklahoma in the last 3 years, but this is the first one I've ever felt. I was sitting/leaning up against my wall in my room, reading, and the wall started to shake hard...and kept shaking! I ran downstairs and went outside (first instinct, I'm not sure whether that's the right thing to do or not...). It shook HARD for the first few seconds, then not as hard but pretty violently for the next minute.

It was crazy. I did NOT like the feeling. Matt, I don't know how you live in Cali! Oklahoma is only supposed to have tornadoes goddamnit.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011   #3
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

lol, you don't worry about earthquakes until they happen. then you when they happen, you panic and pray with your soul for it to end.

the only thing about earthquakes, is shit collapsing on you. no one dies from an earthquake. people die because buildings crumbled on top of their bodies. i would say, (because there is no safest thing to do during an earthquake) that the safest thing you could do is go outside. go outside and watch for falling trees, or buildings tipping over or power lines that break. otherwise, if you're stuck inside, you gotta watch for the roof to cave in and then you're buried alive, if you're alive. they say the safest spot is under a desk, LOL! when you're house comes crashing down, i think you'll want to be outside. They also say stand inside the door frame. That's one of the most structural spots in the home. The thing is, is you don't know when they will happen, and you don't know if you're house is caving in until the earthquake hits and then your house is caving in.

You live out in here in California because of the 70 degree weather all year round. And earthquakes only happen once every thousand years lol

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011   #4
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

There was another one tonight! I do NOT like it! It was weaker than the other one, thank God.

That's good advice, thank you! Too bad I couldn't take it this time...it was storming at the same time we had the quake. So instead of going outside I just hung out downstairs by my front door until the walls stopped shaking.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-09-2011   #5
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

oh i feel for you jenn. shits scary isn't it? no control at all. you are powerless to the forces of Earth. the tremors get you too. you get the big quake, and then you get hte aftershocks.

i remember back in 1994 (Northridge, Ca quake, look it up) and I was asleep when my parents woke me up. but i remember the power of it. no joke

i remember too in kindergarten, in 1988 they said by 2015 (which was a million years later to a 5 year old) California is due to have a great earth shake.

scary

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-11-2011   #6
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
There was another one tonight! I do NOT like it! It was weaker than the other one, thank God.

That's good advice, thank you! Too bad I couldn't take it this time...it was storming at the same time we had the quake. So instead of going outside I just hung out downstairs by my front door until the walls stopped shaking.
Hell. Something like that would be the last thing I ever would like to experience. How are things in Oklahoma?
Old 11-12-2011   #7
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

It's calmed down now. Let's hope it stays this way...
Old 11-13-2011   #8
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

so that's the first time ever experiencing an earthquake?

i think there's 2 kinds of earthquakes. one that bounces the ground in different spots all over. and the one that's a big wave. a big cement wave of earth. like how a whip works in motion. or like how the Hulk throws the ground at you in Marvel Super Heroes. that's the most destructive. a freakin typhoon of earth's crust lol

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-13-2011   #9
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

The big wave one sounds scary. Wasn't that the kind that Japan got last year before the tsunami?

I'd technically felt an earthquake last year, but I was on the 8th floor of a building, and the earthquake technically didn't shake, all it did was rumble for like 1 second. I just thought it was someone dropping something heavy pon the floor above me, which was a normal occurrence because they were doing renovations.

I count the 5.6 as the first earthquake I ever felt.

It's funny because I used to tell people I never wanted to feel an earthquake...I hated the feeling but I think I made it out to be a bigger deal than it is. Oklahoma will probably never get the big wave earthquake that you mention, so it'll be ok.

My mom has like, PTSD or something because of the two earthquakes, now any time the wind blows really hard (common occurrence in Oklahoma) she jumps.
Old 11-14-2011   #10
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

hahaha that's pretty funny. a good ol mid western home, "shaken" up by earthquakes.

the thing with earthquakes, is you never know when they will hit. and then it's the longest 2 or 3 minutes of your life.

i can't remember, but i think you can hear the earth howling and roaring.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-14-2011   #11
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

^ You can. Before the first earthquake, I could have sworn it was a helicopter hovering really closely over the house...I can't explain, it's like this rumble; you veeerry quickly figure out it's not a helicopter, but for the first millisecond that's what it sounds like. The second time I was immediately able to place the noise so I was prepared.

It is funny; my poor mother will have flashbacks over a small quake that she technically only heard and didn't feel, haha.
Old 11-15-2011   #12
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

i also remember that feeling of nausea, like im getting sea sick and my equilibrium is off. the thing is is im sitting cool on the couch and the windows are rattling lol
then right away fear floods the blood and you know exactly what's going on.

no joke, i'd say a good earthquake could get someone to cry out for god. a friend of mine thought they were all gonna die. shits scary lol i got the hibby jibbies

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-20-2011   #13
Christian
Super Moderator

I'm wondering if the quake caused any damage to your region. Is everything back to normal in Oklahoma?
Old 11-20-2011   #14
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

It did some real damage in and around the epicenter. There was a home whose chimney caved in on the roof, there were several homes whose foundations shifted and they got a lot of damage. St. Gregory's, which is about 25 miles from the epicenter, sustained a lot of damage to its buildings--look at the video and picture at the link, if you want:

http://www.newson6.com/story/1597259...ity-in-shawnee

I don't think any homes collapsed, and no one died. HOWEVER, a friend of mine is an insurance adjuster, and she told me that out of the three hundred homes that have called her with damage reports, only about 10 had earthquake insurance on their home insurance policy, which is a real shame; there has now been a huge rush of people buying earthquake insurance, which is only about $55 a year...which is so worth it.
Old 11-22-2011   #15
Christian
Super Moderator

Are minor earthquakes common in your area? I never heard of them until 2 weeks ago.

Is it just me or is the video you linked kinda silent?
Old 11-22-2011   #16
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Well, they've been common in the last 3 years or so; people say they happened before then too, but I don't remember ANY happening at all when I was a kid, and they weren't common at all. It's just been in the last several years that it's been very active, and I hadn't felt any because they were often so minor that it didn't reach where I live.

There's a known fault line that goes through southeast/south central Oklahoma, but that's not where the earthquakes have been; for the last several years these earthquakes have been in east central Oklahoma, so there must be a previously unknown or quiet fault line, or else it extends further than the maps show.

Before the 5.6 earthquake there was another one years ago that did some damage, but it was before I was born, and my parents don't really remember it.

The video is not silent to me....but anyway the words aren't important (that newscaster is a little inane anyway), it shows some of the damage done to the building at the university.
Old 11-22-2011   #17
Christian
Super Moderator

^ That's odd.

The damage in the video looks to be very minor to me. I guess most of the people got away lucky. Didn't they? It's always sad to see old historic buildings being damaged.

I'm glad things like that ain't recorded for my region, actually, I'm not quite sure if there are a lot buildings that would survive a bigger earthquake the one you had. The worst thing that could happen are that holes of very old forgotten, nearly ancient, mines could open up under you. There are quite a few smaller ones under my former hometown, from what I've read a while a go.
Old 11-22-2011   #18
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

^ It's not too bad; the University damage was on the exterior, but it's an old (well, by Oklahoma's standards) building so they're not happy about it.

They make homes pretty solid these days, so it's not like Turkey where people die and buildings collapse and whatnot when a 5.0 or above earthquake happens.

I do feel bad for the aforementioned dude whose house got a lot of damage, and the people whose foundations cracked/shifted on their homes. That stuff is almost impossible to fix, and even if you CAN fix it, it takes a long time to get done and costs money if you don't have insurance.
Old 11-23-2011   #19
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I found this map interesting:

It shows the major earthquake hazard areas within the US. Note that Oklahoma is rated in the 16-32% risk range for a "major" earthquake. Major Earthquakes are considered to be between 7.0-7.9 Magnitude, Strong Earthquakes are 6-6.9 Magnitude, and Moderate Earthquakes are 5-5.9 Magnitude. Thus, Oklahoma has had one Moderate Earthquake and the rest have been Minor. Great Quakes, of which you may expect generally one per year, are 8.0 Magnitude and above.

Jenn, as this was an intraplate earthquake like the Charleston Quake of 1886 and the Mineral, VA earthquake earlier this year, you can expect mostly all future noticeable tremors in the area to be aftershocks of this one.
Enjoy :)
(Most of the quakes detected by instruments will be imperceptible to human senses but rest assured that every now and again a 3.0+ guy will pop up to remind you of his 5.6 father.)

Intraplate quakes are quite fascinating because so little is known about them. I have wondered if intraplate earthquakes occur in clusters. In the last two years, the Eastern half of the North American continent has experienced several sizeable intraplate earthquakes from Quebec, Canada, to Mineral, Virginia, and now in Oklahoma. From the data I looked at, this is in contrast to the devastating intraplate earthquakes of the 19th century in New Madrid, Missouri in the winter of 1811/1812 and Charleston, South Carolina of 1886.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011   #20
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

I'm not that worried....I'm a PRO at it now.

It's my mom I worry a little bit about. Now she checks the national earthquake site (forget what it is) obsessively, constantly wondering when the next quake will hit. Poor mom, lol

Tags
earthquake, oklahoma