Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Movies & TV

Movies & TV Talk about your favorite films and TV shows or find out if a new movie is worth seeing.

Old 10-18-2009   #1
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Paranormal Activity

Fuck! After I realized how damn long my post was in the "What was the last movie you saw?" thread, I decided to give this movie its own...

Quote:
Originally Said by MudPuppet View Post
I saw something yesterday.
What the fuck did I see?

Oh yeah - Paranormal activity.

Fucking STUPID. Absolutely nothing happened for the first half, and absolutely nothing scary happened for the second half. DO NOT SEE.

I also hear Where the Wild Things Are is not very good.
Hmm...

I also saw Paranormal Activity.

You know what? I enjoyed it... I enjoyed it once I stopped looking at it as being a scary movie because it wasn't.

If you do watch it, notice that the dialogue is, in my opinion, completely accurate. The actions of the characters are very true to life. At one point, Micah does start to piss me off when SPOILER ALERT he decides to continue to conduct experiments and attempt to contact the entity AFTER he had already verified its presence. That just pissed me off... especially the Ouija board bit. I mean, Ouija boards are fucking made by Parker Brothers. And it's well known they operate via the ideomotor effect. If you subconsciously want something to move, be it a planchette on a Ouija board, a dowsing rod, or a crystal pendulum, your brain will undetectably move your hands to get the desired effect. Of course, it became an okay use of the Ouija board when it, science aside, bursts into flames. END SPOILERS

Paranormal Activity is a good movie for being low-budget. If you do watch it, notice the dialogue between Micah and his girlfriend Katie. It's quick and well-delivered. They seem like a real couple. There is also a good bit of humor in the movie.

Remember that it was a low-budget movie filmed over just a week. Keep in mind that this isn't a scare at every corner type of movie. It's most definitely a psychological thriller and suspense. I'd like to say more but it would be a bit spoily.

When I watch a movie, particularly a movie in the theatre, I pay attention to every detail. I think if you attempt to do that with this movie, you'll enjoy it more. I'm quite certain the director intended that the audience look around the screen. You'll notice objects on the screen that you will expect something to happen with... and it may or may not happen.

-=-=-

The biggest problem I had wasn't with the movie, but something typical of movie theatres. That is, namely, DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS WHO WON'T SHUT THE FUCK UP as well as those who comment at the screen in an attempt to be funny. They always fail where I would succeed but I have more respect than to try even though I usually come up with quite a few witty things to say.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009   #2
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paranormal Activity

This movie has made, almost to the exact dollar, the same amount per screen as Blair Witch Project, 10 years ago.

Eerie huh?

It's finally opening on most screens Friday, in its third week of release. It was limited release and still dragged in fat numbers. Like $20M last weekend. That's huge for horror movies.
Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
The biggest problem I had wasn't with the movie, but something typical of movie theatres. That is, namely, DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS WHO WON'T SHUT THE FUCK UP as well as those who comment at the screen in an attempt to be funny. They always fail where I would succeed but I have more respect than to try even though I usually come up with quite a few witty things to say.
The only way to watch movies is alone in the theater with friends, after hours, for free. :DDDD
Old 10-22-2009   #3
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, this movie scared the living shit out of my brother.
I'd have to drive a ways to see it, and noting that I don't have a car, I'm likely not going to bother.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #4
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Also, you're a woman who prefers to roller blade everywhere, so you probably suck at driving.

My sister and her boyfriend went to see it tonight. They were also quite terrified. I thought it was amusing when I overheard my sister talking to my mom about how scared she was but then when she talked to me about it she acted like she wasn't so scared. Aww, she wants to appear tough to her big brother whom she knows has no room for belief in monsters, ghosts, demons, or anything. Well, monsters do exist actually. They're just creatures, like us, that will eat you.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 10-23-2009   #5
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing happened. The whole movie.

OOH scary footsteps.

OOH a door slamming.

Buncha pussies.
Old 10-23-2009   #6
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

I'm not much of a scary movie type of girl but I went and saw it yesterday because everyone was saying how freaky it is blah blah blah.

Oh my god I can't believe people were scared by it. Really? I want my 8 bucks back damn it.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #7
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

I think it was pretty good for what it was. I like it that i didnt see the "ghost" or "demon". Imagine if you had, it probably would have been lame. I think it was pretty true to life. Most hauntings you hear about the tv turns on, you hear footsteps, doors open and close. So for someone who is scared of ghosts or the supernatural, I imagine it would seem scary. However, I also think people thought the movie was real. How many people do you think sat with you in the movie theater and thought the film was real footage?
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009   #8
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
I think it was pretty good for what it was. I like it that i didnt see the "ghost" or "demon". Imagine if you had, it probably would have been lame. I think it was pretty true to life. Most hauntings you hear about the tv turns on, you hear footsteps, doors open and close. So for someone who is scared of ghosts or the supernatural, I imagine it would seem scary.
You have a point. I avoid all movies with a lot of gore in them because blood horrifies me....so, stepping in those shoes I can see what you're saying.

Quote:
However, I also think people thought the movie was real. How many people do you think sat with you in the movie theater and thought the film was real footage?
I don't know, the showing I went to had, like, four other people and my friend and I sat quite a ways from any of them...
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-23-2009   #9
GoddessDivine

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^I had some idiots talking behind me. The place was pretty packed and when the demon did something...anything...they were like "Oh shit girl watch out" or "oh hell no uh-uh i would not be in that house". It was really annoying. I felt like turning around and telling them this is not actual footage, it is all make believe.

For some reason disembodied voices and things with read eyes scare me. I also get scare when there is a woman who talks with a man's voice when possessed and when the possessed walks or contors their body all weird. There was none of that in this movie. I think the only thing that was creepy was when the girl got up and stood next to the bed and later by her boyfriend. That just seemed weird to me.
-Obi Wan

Old 10-23-2009   #10
EmperorChaos

Standing over someone sleeping for hours on end seems like something I would do to scare someone... so, yeah, I can see how that might be scary.
-=-=-=-
Old 10-23-2009   #11
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
I'm not much of a scary movie type of girl but I went and saw it yesterday because everyone was saying how freaky it is blah blah blah.

Oh my god I can't believe people were scared by it. Really? I want my 8 bucks back damn it.
Thank you. Who would be scared by ANY of the events that transpired in that movie? If I had paid to see it, I would have demanded a refund after 25 minutes. It was total garbage.
Quote:
^I had some idiots talking behind me. The place was pretty packed and when the demon did something...anything...they were like "Oh shit girl watch out" or "oh hell no uh-uh i would not be in that house". It was really annoying. I felt like turning around and telling them this is not actual footage, it is all make believe.

For some reason disembodied voices and things with read eyes scare me. I also get scare when there is a woman who talks with a man's voice when possessed and when the possessed walks or contors their body all weird. There was none of that in this movie. I think the only thing that was creepy was when the girl got up and stood next to the bed and later by her boyfriend. That just seemed weird to me.
There's nothing I hate more than when there's a disruptance in the movie, and no one comes out and tells management. If there are black people being loud behind you, excuse yourself for 2 seconds and let the staff know. What are you going to miss? OMG SCARY FOOTSTEPS. OMG A DOOR SLAMMING. OMG THE COUPLE FIGHTING. That movie pissed me off so bad.
Old 10-23-2009   #12
GoddessDivine

I don't think they were even black. I mean maybe they were, but I do know there were teenagers in the back row. After the movie i looked 2 rows behind me and it was a gaggle of teenage females who were doing all the talking. I think one of them even answered her phone while sitting behind me. I hate movie talkers

I have told the staff before and i got free tickets for my troubles. With ticket prices as they are i should have told on them
-Obi Wan

Old 10-24-2009   #13
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

It's between 2-3x what it costs to rent it on DVD. Personally I don't think that's outrageous. But whatever.
Old 10-24-2009   #14
GoddessDivine

It gets outrageous when a medium popcorn is $7.00 and a medium drink is $5.25. I am not really bothered by the ticket prices except for the fact we obviously have to buy 2 which was once around 14.00 and now Regal cinemas around here will not accept student i.d.s on friday sat or sunday. So our tickets come to about 4-5 dollars more. It just pisses me off they dont accept student ids on those nights, just about the only nights i can see movies since i am in school during the week. lame
-Obi Wan

Old 10-24-2009   #15
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

It's a company wide change, not just your Regal. But it's only a dollar more for adult price. For two people, it's going to cost 2 more bucks, not $4-5.

Movie theaters break even on ticket sales. They make 90% of their profit off concessions. Plus people are fat and fucking stupid and will buy $26 worth of concessions for their greedy fat family.
Old 10-25-2009   #16
EmperorChaos

The movie theatre hasn't gotten money from me on concessions in more than a decade. I smuggle my drinks in. And I do not require popcorn.
-=-=-=-
Old 10-25-2009   #17
GoddessDivine

i also smuggle drinks in. The only thing we purchase is popcorn for Kirk. i could do without, but he thinks it makes the experience. Hey Mud, do you think I would get kicked out if i brought a little baggie and asked the concession people to fill it up with popcorn? Also are you talkign about the no student discount during the weekend being company wide?
-Obi Wan

Old 10-25-2009   #18
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

^ It's better than the policy at the AMC near my house. They now only have one specific day in which they'll give student discounts and one specific day for the senior discounts. And the prices for concessions are ridiculous.

I always smuggle drinks and snacks in when I go to the movies.
Old 10-25-2009   #19
EmperorChaos

It's fun for me. It's like the opposite of stealing.
-=-=-=-
Old 10-26-2009   #20
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Quote:
i also smuggle drinks in. The only thing we purchase is popcorn for Kirk. i could do without, but he thinks it makes the experience. Hey Mud, do you think I would get kicked out if i brought a little baggie and asked the concession people to fill it up with popcorn? Also are you talkign about the no student discount during the weekend being company wide?
No you wouldn't get kicked out, but they'd probably laugh at you. And yeah.