Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 09-24-2009   #261
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Re: Christian's photography and stuff

Yeah, they are sand banks.

But what I meant is that they form little dune-looking things from the wind and tides. They're like miniature sand dunes.

Charleston really is a beautiful place. I think Sharon said she's been here before.

Either way, you and Weasel and Hamana and FoxyPhoenix and whoever else should come here.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #262
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I've been there before, too.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #263
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

And you should come again. There are some places I'd love to take you. Botany Bay. Edisto Island. These places have good hiking potential. And I bet that you of all people would enjoy exploring Green Swamp in North Carolina (it's only a 2½ hours drive, small potatoes really), scouring for Venus Fly Traps.

People come to Charleston for the city itself but I think the coastal regions of the Carolinas are more enjoyable.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 09-25-2009   #264
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

Would love to go there and to see more of America.. *sighs* Why are you guys so far away?

Anyways: I need to stop checking place I've been at on GoogleEarth. I just discover more and more I burn to see..

Right now I recognized that we, Anna-Marie and I, should have followed Waterton Canyon for a longer while, but we didn't had the time for it anyways..
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009   #265
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

26th of June
Day 14
My Birthday

Yay! After clubbing with PunkTinkerBell a hike with Anna-Marie and a surprise party awaited me. The hike was pretty funny (as always) even-though it was kind of a easy one since we followed a dirt road all the time. We got into a heavy rainstorm while we were walking through Waterton Canyon that nearly blew us out of the canyon and left us hiking all alone and totally soaked. But as I've said, It's always fun with Anna-Marie no matter under what conditions we hike. :D

We didn't had much time to hike, unfortunately. My sister, Hamana, planned a surprise party for us and so HockeyMom had to pick us up again after a few hours. Glad she brought us dry clothes and so we went to a mysterious place after we changed our clothes in a gas station.

I needed to close my eyes for the last bit of the way, everyone really made a surprise of it till the very last minute. I was allowed to open my eyes again as I got my Spongebob party hat and we were standing right in front of the famous Casabonita!! (Yes, it was exactly as in Southpark! ^_^)

:D

Had a very nice birthday party, but it was a bit sad as well since it was the last day before I needed to fly back to Germany.

Full story

Thank you all again for such a nice day!! :D

27th of June
Day 15
Bye-Bye

Needed to fly back home.. :*(

Bye-bye America.

I hope I'm able to come back again, some day :)

Last edited by Christian; 10-01-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2009   #266
Christian
Super Moderator

Photos of July
4th to 14th of July:

I didn't had much time (well, and passion) to do major hikes after I returned from beautiful Colorado, unfortunately but my area is kind of boring compared with what I've seen in the states.

Old 10-01-2009   #267
Christian
Super Moderator

Photos of July
23rd July:

Summer, sun, hiking time.
I got my mood back and so I got my stuff together and went on a bigger hike out of the city and into the fields. It had been a nice hike, it was warm but a bit too cloudy. We got some warnings for stronger local thunderstorms, so my main reason for the hike was to find a nice and open place to take photos from some nice clouds, but well, I didn't had much luck with it.

Old 10-01-2009   #268
Christian
Super Moderator

Photos of July
24th July:

I heard some strange noises outside, a constant growling like I never heard before. I opened my window and have seen a giant thunderstorm approaching. I never heard thunder like that before. I haven't seen much (or any) lightnings, but heard a constant growling thunder. I got my stuff packet fast and ran outside in the hope to take a few photos of the clouds at a bit more open place .. but I didn't made it very far. I've seen already the rain coming soon, I took a single photo, 2 drops felt down and not even a second later I was trapped into a massive rainstorm that got me soaked withing the first second. Glad I put a jacket into my backpack before I left.. but well.. I was already soaked before I was able to set my backpack on the ground (needed to cover my camera kind of fast.

I took a video of it while I was taking cover in a nearby bus station and managed to take a few photos as well, even-though I needed to hold my camera very high because the rain was spraying everywhere. (To bad I can't upload the video as well as I can't upload the few photos to AS right now, might add them later.)

The heavy rain stopped and I walked down to a channel to take photos from the leaving storm in a setting sun:

Second time I've seen some mammatus clouds in my life, first time had been last year in Gunison, Colorado :D

25th of July

Another bigger hike, out to the fields. Needed to escape Berlin for a while and wanted to play with my camera a bit:

Old 10-01-2009   #269
EmperorChaos

Aha! I love the slug race!
-=-=-=-
Old 10-02-2009   #270
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

FROOOOOOOOOGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

^_^

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 10-02-2009   #271
EmperorChaos

No, those are slugs Anna-Marie. S-L-U-G-S.

The frogs came earlier.
-=-=-=-
Old 10-02-2009   #272
Christian
Super Moderator

Hehe thanks ^_^

Those slugs scared me a bit, they where heading right to my position and kept following me all the time.. I heard rumors of slugpires (slug vampires) lately

That tiny frog is adorable, isn't he? ^_^

Photos of August
1st of August:

Went on a little shopping and city tour with a gold old (girl)friend* into the center of Berlin.. We are good friends for over 12 years now.. (..and someone needed to carry the bags)

9th of August:

My parents came to Berlin and I convinced them to visit the "German - American Volksfest" (Volksfest: carnival/fun fair) then lurking around on a rag fair close to my dorm. We were a bit to early for the fair and so we went on a little walk through the nearby forest "Grunewald" where an old foresters lodge and hunting château were/are located in.
Nothing too special though..

20th of August:

I went with 3 comrades/friends of my unit into the big park in the center of Berlin, named Tiergarten, to have a spontaneous BBQ with disposable grill and a few beer. Went on a walk through the park and to the Victory Column after-wards:

--
*) Is there any word for 'girlfriend' that doesn't have 'relation' in its meaning?? (Miss such a word in German too..)
Old 10-02-2009   #273
Christian
Super Moderator

Photos of August
22nd of August:

Nothing special.. Had standby duty with my unit and so I was siting on a big (and heavy) blue car with sirens on listening to the radio, waiting to get orders and/or something to do. Needed to stay awake, it was so hot that I didn't found any sleep the night before.. doing rescue duty with being 36 hours awake already is fun..

Well, we didn't got much to do. We just needed to rescue a pigeon from under a bridge and to get some plaster/rendering from a building facade as it was about to fall down from itself (after it got already renovated). So I got enough sleep while we were waiting..

Wall of a church..

28th of August:

Was bored and so I planed a major hike out to the fields and to more distant villages to see something new and a little château. Well, I didn't made it to the château as my way was blocked and a thunderstorm was approaching really fast so I went to the closest village to find a dry place. I wanted to visit that village on my way back home anyways and so I kept staying there and discovering it until as it got dark and I went home.

Old 10-03-2009   #274
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
Those slugs scared me a bit, they where heading right to my position and kept following me all the time.. I heard rumors of slugpires (slug vampires) lately
Heehee! :D

Quote:
Is there any word for 'girlfriend' that doesn't have 'relation' in its meaning?? (Miss such a word in German too..)
Yes: Girl friend. The "space" between the words signifies the relational distance between the two parties, male and female, and that their relationship is indeed platonic.

;)

Really, though, you can just say "girl friend" or even "girlfriend" to mean people of the opposite sex who you are just friends with, thinksI.

Those photos...are ridiculous. You need to stop. :p

The orange sunset one from the 4th-14th of July; amazing. Just amazing. The sky looks like it's marbleizing into the sun. The ones of the frogs, insects, and small plants from that same batch; so, how do you train those creatures to pose for you, exactly? Or are you just the Small Animal Whisperer? Seriously, those are so gorgeous, all.

From the batch you just posted, I love "Nie wieder Krieg." The Victory Column silhouetted is also perfect. Quite stunning, those.

*Gives you a wedge of cheddar back* ;)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #275
Christian
Super Moderator

Thank you! :D

*nibbles the cheddar*

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
The "space" between the words signifies the relational distance between the two parties, male and female, and that their relationship is indeed platonic.
So.. the more 'space' between the words, the more distance between the two parties?

*sighs* ..complicated.

^_^
Old 10-12-2009   #276
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
Thank you! :D

*nibbles the cheddar*

So.. the more 'space' between the words, the more distance between the two parties?

*sighs* ..complicated.

^_^
;D

Yes. Exactly. And, yes, it has to be: The most worthwhile things are, aren't they? (Complicated, I mean.) ;)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 10-12-2009   #277
Christian
Super Moderator

Wee!!.. it's 4:51 in the morning, and I'm finally done with the update:

Photos of September
1st and 2nd of September:

4th of September:

Another little hike to the fields to get out of Berlin for a while. I was about to go home already as a wild hog crossed my way. He didn't seemed to know any fear as he came right up to me. The strange thing was that he kept following me after he sniffed at me. That guy behaved like a dog, sort of: he waged his tail, was walking right next to me, side by side, and sniffed at some others dog, that came with a woman who thought that funny 'little' guy would be my pet.

I continued my way, with him of course, until we meet some kids who he, my new buddy, made friends with. The kids started to play with him (yes, play!) and I kept staying with them, just for the case something happens .. and to photograph, naturally. (I always have some bandages with me ^^ (and my camera)).

To bad (or fortunately) that the wild hog left us after maybe 30 minutes. I think he had enough fun for that day and so he went back into a nearby 'forest', that actually is an old abandoned US ARMY train ground, right next to former borderline into the (former) GDR.

Alernative sunflower version: [Photo]

8th of September:

This hike happened to be along the canal that is very close to my dorm. It still must have been I spring as I walked that way for the last time..

My plan was to go to a small village, where I wanted to photograph some remaining pieces of the Berlin Wall they left on an abandoned (industrial) area, right next to the place the border was once. The weather was nice, we got some blue sky and a lovely sunset illuminated everything with a wonderful, orange light.

I think I got something for everyone this time: Frogs for Anna_Marie, a slug for Jason and a sunset for Rachel ^_^ (In the next post)

'First signs of autumn': [Photo] (Didn't had enough space for that one)

Last edited by Christian; 10-20-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2009   #278
Christian
Super Moderator

8th of September:
..continued

..42 Photos..
It's 6:07 in the morning and I should go to bed now *yawns*
(Wow.. posting that update took me a while O_o)

Last edited by Christian; 10-20-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-12-2009   #279
foxyphoenix

The boar is gorgeous! ^_^
And what a cute story to go along with the one where you got treed by one of these guys...

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 10-13-2009   #280
Zanahoria_Picante

^ Agreed. And adorable! :D Who could refuse him?

I love all the ones of the flowers and the bees (slash butterfly, er moth?) on the flowers (and flowers...on the...bees...? Not so much). Those are perfect.

The ones of the spiders are quite nice photographs; however, the subject matter could use some work; mainly, not being of spiders. :| The ones of the webs are EPIC, as well, but, yes...still. Beautiful, but still.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;

Tags
christian, photography