Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 07-21-2009   #221
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Re: Christian's photography and stuff

^ Would be nice Would make the playing with the cam a bit easier. ^_^

Do you remember your photo of Waterton Canyon you took as the sun came out again after that heavy rain? I took the same photo maybe one minute (or 90 feet) earlier and the differences are huge; especially in the image sharpness and color dept (okay, you got more sun on it too ^^).
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009   #222
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

What pics are you talking about specifically?

I have settings.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #223
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

That one?

I hardly ever do post-processing, so I guess it would be the camera settings...

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #224
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

I took the same just a bit earlier but I can't upload it so far as I can't rescale it since my normal PC is gone right now.

Thanks for sending me your settings, will check them :D
Old 07-22-2009   #225
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

That is amazing foxy. I wish I could be there. Looks nice and quite and uninhabited...just the way i like it
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009   #226
Christian
Super Moderator

^ It was nice but not that uninhabited as it looks.

We had been sort of alone there but only because we got that freaking heavy rain that nearly flushed us out of the canyon (not to mention the wind). We where soaked but alone and head the whole canyon for us alone, except two patrol cars, that passed us every ten minutes, but not during the rain storm somehow..

Did I ever said hiking with Anna-Marie always tend to get exciting and a bit extreme in some way? :D Love it.

Anna-Marie? We need a plan for coming hikes next summer ^_^
Old 07-22-2009   #227
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

First, we need POWER.
Then, we need LIGHTS.
Then, we need MUSIC.
And then, we need BEER.

=) (Oh, Mitropa...)

That's not nearly as secluded as it looks; there are actually some houses along the path. It was beautiful though.

Christian: let's do a 14er.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 07-23-2009   #228
Christian
Super Moderator

Uh, Okay! :D

Btw: We got Tornado warnings all over Germany today... YAY! :D *hikes to the nearest hill*
Old 07-24-2009   #229
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

You probably don't want to go uphill in tornado weather. Just sayin'.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 07-26-2009   #230
foxyphoenix

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post

Tornadoes don't form basically at all in the mountains, simply because of the impact the mountains have on weather patterns. You do have to worry about lightning storms, though, and blizzards.

On the plains, tornadoes are king: you want to get to the lowest possible point.
In the mountains though... nah.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 07-26-2009   #231
Christian
Super Moderator

Well, there are where I live (especially the city of Berlin) is really flat, there are only a very few minor hills around.

The hills I use(d) to go to are man made, mostly out of rubbles from WW2. The one I hiked to yesterday had been that one.

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
Yes, I so will. Its the sole chance for me to see the clouds and eventually cells in full scale since I life in the 2nd floor (3rd with US counting) and have many trees blocking my view.

The 'hills' I can go to within 20 minutes (If I catch a bus in time) are only 30 to 50 feet taller then the environment so my view is still partly blocked from high trees. Sucks for me but they are at least right at the town limit, what doesn't mean much though.

So, yea, If I want to take a few nice photos from upcoming weather I need to find a higher spot to look over trees and houses. Sucks.. Would love to photograph nightly lightnings.. but that would be way to dangerous for me and especially my cam.
Old 08-06-2009   #232
Christian
Super Moderator

19th of June
Day 7

Our destinations of the day was named Old Colorado City. We had in been there already last year but wanted to see it again and so we drove there for a little shopping tour through all the tiny shops along the old historic main street.

We didn't had much time as we also planned to visit the 'Garden of the Gods' again as well as to go to a Baseball match back in Denver later the day.

I was lucky enough to have a bit time to take few steps left and right of the main routes while the others vanished in shops.

Last edited by Christian; 08-06-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2009   #233
Christian
Super Moderator

Does anyone know the name of that plant a bit above? Anna-Marie?

Too bad we needed to hurry in the 'Garden of the Gods but a few of us, Weasel, Mitropa, PunkTinkerBell and I planned to attend to baseball match that day. We arrived Denver just in time and got into the station right as they started to play the anthem.

The atmosphere was good, the beer was cold and we had a lot of fun (and beer) while watching them game. The evening was still young and so PunkTinkerBell, a friend of hers and I went into a club after the game .. I seem to recall ^_^ (Thanks again! :D)
Old 08-15-2009   #234
Christian
Super Moderator

21st of June
Day 9

I survived my hangover and a trip to Devil's Head was planned that day. It was also Father's Day for you US guys and so I ended up going there alone with my dad as Anna-Marie planned to spend that day with her dad (since it was Father's Day). It was a bit sad but I still had lots of fun, even if I still had a little hangover from the party 2 days ago.. (holy..)

PinkTinkerBell was so kind to borrow us her car and so we, my dad and I drove without bigger problems to Devil's Head. I'm still a bit impressed we made it though.

We parked the car after we drove an hour over dirt roads at the bottom of the trail leading up to the Devil's Head Lookout Station. Glad I filled my backpack with many water bottles and 2 cans. We sorta needed them as it wasn't only the nature and the view that were breathtaking. Nevertheless it was a lot of fun to hike up there again and I felt in love with the nature around there.

It was time for a little break before we climbed the hundred-forty-three steps up to the fire lookout tower. An older lady took a seat right behind to us while we where having a little picnic with a bag of chips and two soda cans I got with me. She started to listen our conversation carefully for a long while before she asked if we where from Germany. It turned out that she had been a longer time in Germany back in the '80s. That happened often to me/us in my vacation. It seems that half of America, or at least half of Colorado seem to have German roots as I often met people with a former German background.

Well.. we made our way all the 143 steps up and had a fantastic view on 9.748 feet above sea level.

Old 08-15-2009   #235
Christian
Super Moderator

Me after I climbed the Devil's Head Lookout Station

We made our way back down after a while and drove down to Colorado Springs, as my dad and me wanted to see that B52 Bomber that is standing in front of a giant Airforce Base/Academe. We parked PunkTinkerBells car on a parking lot right in front of the visitor entrance as we didn't knew if we just can pass or not.

Well.. we didn't went inside as we had no idea if we are allowed to get in there just to see that place that is used as some kind of monument and is visible for miles from the highway. We drove back to Denver and planned to stop somewhere to eat instead.

I spotted an old looking Diner (Rosie's Diner) from the highway and so we drove off what turned out to be a very Good idea as we later noticed that a tire of our borrowed car gone flat. We ate quick and tried to change the tire what turned out to be not as easy as we thought.

Our First problem had been to find the spare wheel. We are used to find it in the trunk in Europe and so we failed to find it the first 10 minutes as it had been located under the car. That's the worst position to have the spare tire mounted from my opinion and it proved that I wasn't wrong with my view.

Another 10 minutes later we managed to find the user manual and the needed tools to change the tire but we got another problem: we wasn't able to get the spare wheel out of its mounting. The Tire was laying on some kind of plate, that were held up by a bolt/screw. It was possible to loose that bolt/screw with one of the tools right from the trunk, but dust, mud and water that reached the bolt/screw with the time made it stuck.

We weren't able to move the bolt/screw a tiny bit until an older man, that wanted to eat there as well saw us. He had a pipe we shoved over the 'screwdriver' to give more pressure on it and so my dad and that guy where trying to move the bolt/screw together while I was laying under the car to check if something even is moving.

A little bang and me coughing "I got the tire" later the problem was solved: The bolt/screw broke and I had caught the tire involuntary. Well.. we felt already incredible sorry for the flat tire but now we finally broke something on the car accidentally.

We managed to change the wheel from now on and I was busy to fix the plate the wheel was on once that now was hanging loose on the ground. I got a little rope and so I tied that plate with a few special knots, and a little construction/rope movement to get rid of vibrations and occurring forces, back on the car. German engineering.

We made it back home without any further occurrences and needed to face Hamana that where about to struggle us two. Not the time for bad jokes about the happenings... well.. I still did.. if looks could kill. PunkTinkerBell came with Madre a bit later to get her car back. She knew already what happened (as we called Hamana while we where changing the wheel).

A few days later we heard from HockeyMom, who got PunkTinkerBells car new wheels, that the nail we drove into would have made the tire burst if we would have driven a bit longer without noticing. Not a good think to happen on a highway. Glad I had that idea to have a stop at Rosie's Diner. ^^

Well.. one question is left open: How we got that nail into our tire? I must have happened at that parking lot we had been earlier. Was it a terrorist attack on a car with Obama stickers on it, driven by Germans parked and parked right in front of an Airforce Base maybe? We never will know.. ^_^

PTB_car.JPGengineering.JPG
1) Stairs up to the Lookout tower.
2) Flat wheel. Try to find me in the photo ;)
3) 'German Engineering' ^_^

Note: It took me a bit more then five hours to get that update done. Most of time (~4 hours) was used to upload all the photos
Old 08-16-2009   #236
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^HA! I see you! Crouched down in the reflection. This is kinda fun...like Where's Waldo!!
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009   #237
Christian
Super Moderator

^ Mh, does that photo count as "Pictures Of Yourself"? ^_^

Here is another "Where is Waldo"-one I took a while ago
Old 08-17-2009   #238
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post

Does anyone know the name of that plant a bit above? Anna-Marie?

Too bad we needed to hurry in the 'Garden of the Gods but a few of us, Weasel, Mitropa, PunkTinkerBell and I planned to attend to baseball match that day. We arrived Denver just in time and got into the station right as they started to play the anthem.

The atmosphere was good, the beer was cold and we had a lot of fun (and beer) while watching them game. The evening was still young and so PunkTinkerBell, a friend of hers and I went into a club after the game .. I seem to recall ^_^ (Thanks again! :D)
I think it might be a banana yucca.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...a_baccata.html
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #239
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post
I think it might be a banana yucca.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...a_baccata.html
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009   #240
EmperorChaos

You people and your native species found only in high elevations.
-=-=-=-

Tags
christian, photography