Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Sports

Old 05-23-2010   #1
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute
My First MMA Sparring Session

I finally took my first MMA class and at the end challenged a professional MMA fighter today.
I said to him, "okay, lets see how long it takes you to take me down and make me submit."
Then he runs around the gym and tells everybody I just challenged him, so we get all these spectators watching, which I really didn't want.

Then we start, and it was so cool. He eventually took me down and choked me out into submission, but it took him a lot longer and wasn't as easy for him to accomplish as much as both him and I expected.
Most importantly, I'm without injury.

MMA is cool and can be very brutal, but it's still very sport-oriented Martial Art. I haven't trained in Martial Arts in many years, so I'm very rusty. The MA styles I'm used to training in the past was not about any competition. They were always more street-oriented and about life or death situations. There were things in the MMA that I can't do. Still, there are parallels in all of them that are great to learn, and I'm much more interested in getting into shape and learning some new skills instead of being able to handle life or death confrontations. The MMA fighter I was able to hold my own with...this guy is super fast! I rather get into a fight with a huge NFL lineman than a guy like him any day.

We sparred in the context of "take me down and make me submit." Eventually I will try sparring with him in the striking context, which is very scary, because this guy can literally throw a combo of 12 punches and elbows in the blink of an eye.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 05-30-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010   #2
kyle
Lawl ^^

kyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kyle Send a message via MSN to kyle Send a message via Yahoo to kyle Send a message via Skype™ to kyle
Re: My First MMA Sparring Session

its nothing but cheap shots and beating a guy when he is down, dumb rednecks and niggers partake in it
Old 05-23-2010   #3
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

^ I guarantee you won't say that after you participate in a few legitimate MMA training sessions
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Old 05-23-2010   #4
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

^ i guarantee you he still will. lol

i almost pulled out my years of watching WWF on some bitches.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #5
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

^ I guarantee that if he still does makes such comments after participating in a few MMA classes, then he's just being a jackass. But then again, he already is a jackass with those initial comments he already made.
Old 05-24-2010   #6
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

^ that was exactly my point. lol

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 05-24-2010   #7
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute

If you didn't know that about kyle yet, well... you'll learn. Hahaha

Either way, good stuff. MMA combines almost any martial art into one ring and says go for it, from what I know of it anyway. Sounds pretty fun, the guy on top usually knows a good mix of several different martial arts.

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #8
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Yeah, I really like it, but honestly I see some limitations when it comes to the grappling ju-jitsu part of it.
If somebody grappled me like that on the street, there would be endless things I could do before I would even let him get the chance to choke me out. But when you're in the cage, it's a competitive sport, so there are limitations to what you can and cannot do.
But it's all good stuff to learn regardless, and I have a high amount of respect for the competitors.
For example, I learned a new approach/technique to developing hip strength and conditioning, which will help make everything else much more effective, powerful, and explosive...as long as I keep practicing it.

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 05-24-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2010   #9
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute

That's a big part of MMA (I would think), being explosive, and being conditioned so you can continue to do so throughout the match. Aside from technique of course.

Old 05-24-2010   #10
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by kyle View Post
its nothing but cheap shots and beating a guy when he is down, dumb rednecks and niggers partake in it
ah classic kyle..

Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010   #11
kyle
Lawl ^^

kyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kyle Send a message via MSN to kyle Send a message via Yahoo to kyle Send a message via Skype™ to kyle

I don't need a class to learn how to grab a guy by the face and kick his legs until he falls down where then i just start hitting him relentlessly, thats grade school bull shit
Old 05-25-2010   #12
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

How do you fight Kyle?

Old 05-25-2010   #13
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Quote:
Originally Said by kyle View Post
I don't need a class to learn how to grab a guy by the face and kick his legs until he falls down where then i just start hitting him relentlessly, that's grade school bull shit
This just proves that you have no idea what MMA is or any idea of what you're talking about.
If that's the only thing you see when you watch MMA, you are clueless

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 05-25-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-25-2010   #14
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

actually, as far as UFC goes, that's pretty much it. grab him, take him down, then ground and pound.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 05-25-2010   #15
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Funk*Sonic*7 View Post
This just proves that you have no idea what MMA is or any idea of what you're talking about.
If that's the only thing you see when you watch MMA, you are clueless
come on...you have met kyle before aint you? thats a rather redundant sayin

Old 05-29-2010   #16
kyle
Lawl ^^

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
actually, as far as UFC goes, that's pretty much it. grab him, take him down, then ground and pound.
yup
Old 05-29-2010   #17
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
dick punch

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 592358342_Nz7fC-L.jpg (150.1 KB, 25 views)
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #18
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

lol pretty much what kyle said.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 05-29-2010   #19
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

ah penny arcade...how I havent graced upon their humour in years lol

Old 05-30-2010   #20
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth View Post
dick punch

So Kyle what fighting style do you prefer, if any?