Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 12-30-2008   #121
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Re: Christian's photography and stuff

Actually the sign isn't english, Its german. 'Hospital' is an older german word too, but it's pronounced a bit different.

Be carefull, thats why his elves are having those special shoes, warn all your children to sleep when he comes.

Did another hike through the marshes two days later, photos will come a bit later.

Yea, was realy kind of ZP, asked here since Foxy is crocodile hunting ^^
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #122
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

De nada! :) 'Tis quite easy to merge posts, for the most part. And those photos are lovely, Christian, as per usual. :p Especially that one of the rock in the river. Brilliant!

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #123
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

I had NO idea at all that hospital was a German word *lol* Typical American assumption, eh?

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #124
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it's a word of latin orgin, coming from 'Hospitium' that got changed a bit in the middle ages.. ^^

Thanks for all the positive feedback and for the gift :D
Old 12-31-2008   #125
Christian
Super Moderator

I did a second hike to that area since i havn't reached the village of Lebus on December the 23rd.

This time I wanted to try another route I never had been to..

1 house1_med.JPG1 house2_med.JPG
I passed the old butchery of Frankfurt on the way, got closed down too.. | and from more far away

1 good_old_2.JPG
good old times..

I followed a street that got smaller and smaller with the time.. I should have believed the sign that tried to tell me its a dead end..

1 marsh1_med.JPG1 marsh2_med.JPG
Next to the Street the marshes began. In the background you can see the dam that is securing the area from the river. Funny note: The dam ends something about a half mile later so water is able to go there anyways but can't get that high anymore (I think).

2 snail_med.JPG
While taking those photos I got discovered by a giant and angry snail (shadow) so I needed to take cover ^_^

As I escaped the giant snail and continued my way. The road got smaller and smaller and ended in a swamp, next to a hill where a little creek got born in:

2 swamp1_med.JPG

There I also scared a partridge away, to bad I wasn't fast enough to take a photo from it.

I didn't wanted to go through the swamp and marshes, they had been impenetrably for me so I climbed up the hills next to me. The river digged itself deeper in its history, so the hills are the normal groundlevel from a few thousend years ago and so the area behind them is mostly flat again.

2 above_med.JPG
Marshes and river in the very back from above.

I surprised another partridge as I reached the top that scared me so bad that i nearly felt down the hill again. I followed my way abover there parallel to the marshes till I found a way through them to get back to the river.

2 tree1_med.JPG
Dark tree.

2 good_old_1_med.JPG
Marshes.. You can see the little forrest I hiked through on my previous hike.

3 good_old_3_med.JPG
I found a way down and through the marshes. There I suprised again some partridges.. this time a whole dozen. *sighs* Can't they warn me? ^^

3 frankfurt_med.JPG
Frankfurt from far away

3 sun1_med.JPG3 reed_med.JPG
Sun came through again and reed in the sun.

3 river1_med.JPG
I finaly made my way back to the river..

4 ship_med.JPG
A polish ship taking buoys out for the winter.

4 sunset1_med.JPG4 sunset2_med.JPG
Sun started to set

4 sign_med.JPG
Sign, leading me to my destination

4 lebus1_med.JPG
And my destination from far away..

Well, I didn't followed the route to 'Lebus'. I hiked along another path that is leading in a dead end on a peninsula that ends infront of that village.

5 ducks_med.JPG5 geese_med.JPG
Ducks and wild geese on my way

5 river2_med.JPG
Shell and the river.

5 sunset3_med.JPG5 sunset4_med.JPG
Sunset

6 prints_med.JPG
Footprints of birds on a sandbank

6 bridge_med.JPG
Old bridge pillar, the bridge got destroyed in the second world war to defend against russian troops.

6 lebus2_med.JPG6 lebus3_med.JPG
And finaly: I reached my destination: Lebus.

Lebus had been an important city hundrets of years ago and was founded something around the year 950. (They also found early settlements from the year 1000 before chris..) Lebus got destroyed several times in its history, especialy around early times around the year 1000. The importan knight order of the maltese (today an important medical (EMT) service in germany) had there headquarter there too. The city got nearly completly destroyed in the fights of WW2. Today the village isn't realy important anymore but still looks lovely to me.

In that area, that is called 'Seelower Höhen' (Seelower hights), one of the bigger battle of the second world war had been located at and marked the begin of the Battle of Berlin. German troops defended on the hills with 100.000 Soliders, 512 tanks, 344 artillery and 300-400 antiaircraft guns against russion troops that came from east and needed to cross the river with 1.000.000 soliders, 3.155 tanks and 16.934 artillery. On April the 14th the combat started with the biggest barrage in history that ended without any result (germans had been warned) except deaf russian soliders from the noise of there artillery. They say the noise even had been heard in Berlin, about 50 miles away. We all know how it ended 4 days later with 12.000 dead german and 70.000 dead russian men. Sad world.. I wonder if ghost excist..

back to something nice:
6 sunset5_med.JPG
Sunset!

7 sunset6_med.JPG7 sunset7_med.JPG
I so love these two photos.. my absolute favorites

Darkness was coming soon so I needed to walk the whole way back at night under many bright stars and dozen of bats flying around me

7 star_med.JPG
Reed and a very bright star in the background

trail.JPG
The way I hiked along.. 12.5 miles.. guess how my feet felt like.

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 01-05-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2009   #126
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy to understand why your two favorites are such favorites. They both have a harmony, tranquility, balance and beauty similar to the one I saved as my desktop. That would be this one :.) Only your chosen two favorites are more expansive. Horizon pictures have such siren-like effect of saying hello, goodbye, mysteriously, inviting as if to say 'there's a bit more over here if you'll just come this way'. So easy to get lost in their ambience :.)

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 01-03-2009   #127
Christian
Super Moderator

I so would have liked to stay there to take more and more photos of that sunset scene at the river but my cam was already full and I hade to hike about 6 miles back and it got dark very soon. I just wish I hade my new cam allready at that day.

Its tradition that we, my father and the kids (me and Hamana if she would have been there) are going for a little walk at christmas so we don't disturb Santa and don't need to be in fear of his elves and there shoes. Only mom keeps position, hiding at home...

So we gone back to the little harbour on christmas eve, December the 24th. As writen before nearly the whole area got closed down with the time and so the ruins of former industries are standing around.

ind1_med.JPGind2_med.JPG
"Old industrie in final stage" and a Tower we went in.

We, my father and me, asked us what is with that tall building and why there are 2 floors without any windows, so we went inside. There we found different empty room, but we still dont have any idea, what that building was good for one times.

stair_med.JPGwindow1_med.JPGwindow2_med.JPG
Stairs and windows.

We went up the stairs but there was no door from them to the 2 closed floors.. so we went to the upper one to look over our city.

view2_med.JPGview1_med.JPG
first: view over the old industriel harbour to poland
second:: view over Frankfurt (Oder)

There was no entrance to the closed floors, even from the highest one what made it a bit mysterious. There was only a hole in the ground, down to the 2 floors, but we wasn't able to see anything.. the flash of my cam only showed that it could be a duct with a dead end.

Maybe they added the last floor for the border trops, so they can look over everything.

We went back to see what Santa brought us, passing a once busy street where all the buildings got closen down with the time.. Not a single house was still used around us.. (The butchery of my last hike was located there too).

house_med.JPG
One of the closed houses.

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 01-05-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-03-2009   #128
Christian
Super Moderator

Santa brought me my new cam, the Panasonic DMC-FZ8 (the same Foxy has :D) and I went with my father to an old railroad yard that, guess, that is abandoned today too on December the 25th.

We went there to see what happened to that area and to test the camera.
(note: the loss on quality mostly results from changing the size of the photo)

1 crane1_med.JPG1 crane2_med.JPG
Very old cranes at the begining (end of the rails).

1 pole_med.JPG
Pole in evening sky.

1 tower_med.JPG1 rails_med.JPG
Old watertower and 'end of rails' (They only left one single lane curving through the area).

2 sunset_med.JPG
Sunset over the old railroad yard..

2 moss_med.JPG
and moss on a wall (I love the quality that cam has)

2 view1_med.JPG2 view3_med.JPG2 view2_med.JPG
And I finaly can play with the exposure time :D

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 01-05-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-04-2009   #129
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

The moss wins. I know that is biased and totally unfair, but I can't help it

That last one with the roiling clouds is incredible. The sky here was similar today, but I couldn't take a picture because I was saving battery time for the TSO show. Too bad they didn't turn out well. I still haven't learned how to take pictures well in the dark.

Really like this one as well:

Thank you very much for posting all the rest though, Christian. It's like reading a picture book of the culmination of events. And even better, how familiar other parts of the world seem though I've never been to see them and likely never will.

Nice job :.)

Old 01-04-2009   #130
Christian
Super Moderator

Thank you again :)

Having hard times to take photos in the dark spots too, even if it got better with my new camera. Its allways a good idea to use a tripod or something you can put your camera on

A few more are still to come, am still busy with sorting ^_^
Old 01-04-2009   #131
Christian
Super Moderator

I did another little hike on the December 30th to test my new cam (*kisses cam*) along a way on the channel I took the last (and first) time in complete dark the day before I driven home for christmas.

The weather was sunny but cold and we got temperatures a bit under the freezing point the last days.

I never hiked that way before and went to a village/litte city right at the border to Berlin after some time.

reed1_med.JPGreed2_med.JPG
Reed and winter sun around noon.

channel1_med.JPGchannel3_med.JPG
Channel, one side sunny, one side frozen.

I wanted to take another photo from the reed so I tryed to climb down a little slope.. Well, I stepped on dry mud, over wet mud on frozen mud.. The backflip I did on it must have looked awesome

gang_med.JPG
A gang of ducks.

I came to a little lake a bit later, having the first ice of the year on it (a day before the year ends ^^)

ice1_med.JPGice2_med.JPG
I have no idea why it looks like it looks..

I reached that village an hour later, searching for something to eat.
That village/city is very typical for citys of the former GDR: higher and small buildings mixed aswell as the typical architecture and shoping centers for cars and daily life at its sides.. nothing special except the renovated old center of the village that city bases on.

village1_med.JPGhelmet_med.JPG
Village center and monument with a roman helmet on it.

channel2_med.JPG
Channel at sunset while hiking home.

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 01-05-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2009   #132
Christian
Super Moderator

31st of December, New Year's Eve, booze, party, fireworks, YAY!

I met with a good friend at his place to go woth him and his girlfriend to his frat house to celebrate the new year. We got a very clear night at the begin and the temperatures had been a but under the freezing point too.

1 moon_med.JPG
m-o-o-n ! *loves his cam*

1 before_med.JPG
The street infront of the frat house before midnight with a very long exposure time. The air humidity raised..

I quickly got my tripod at midnight, built it up rather fast and took my first photos of the year 2009:

1 new1_med.JPG1 new2_med.JPG1 new3_med.JPG
Fireworks!

2 new4_med.JPG2 new5_med.JPG
More fireworks, yay! *so loves his cam* All these photos had been made with 8 seconds exposure time.

To bad I wasnt in a street and not on a hill to look over the city.. maybe next year.

2 fog1_med.JPG2 fog2_med.JPG
'Fog of war'

I left the party around 5:00 in the morning..

2 fog3_med.JPG
Street close to where I had been. We got somethign around 100% humidity and some snow/frost started to drizzle out

Needed to drive a long way home.. very long but I decided to do a little hike at 6:00 in the morning around the "Brandenburg gate" and the inner city.

3 station_med.JPG
The train station 'Friedrichstraße' in 'new years fog' *did I said that I love my cam? ^_^*

3 fog4_med.JPG
'Reichstag' .. look a bit like 1945

3 gate_med.JPG
'Brandenburg Gate', Germanys biggest party had been located (behind) there. 1.000.000 people came to celebrate into 2009.

3 brit1_med.JPG3 brit2_med.JPG
British embassy

Glad I had my tripod with me.. As I arrived at home we allready got a very thin layer of snow on the ground.. :D

All the photos are having a way better qualitiy in there originaly size ^_^

I did my first hike of the year 2009 (not counted the last one) on the 3rd January.

We got a thin layer of snow the last days and it had been cold (below 32°F) for a week now and so I went back for the fields, to my little 'swamp'

view_med.JPG
View out of window the night before (60seconds exposure time)

grass_med.JPG
Snowy grass at the old us army training ground

swamp1_med.JPGswamp2_med.JPG
Frozen swamp.

tree_med.JPG
Tree, not so happy anymore..

limb_med.JPG
Limb..

face_med.JPG
A face in a Tree?

I hiked a longer way over the fields back to get to that heating plant to take a photo I wanted to take for so long now

night_med.JPG
..and here it is :D Heating plant at night ^_^

The low temperaturs also created a few very thin ice floes on the channel.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 01-05-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2009   #133
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

You got me good that round :.) I was just about to say I was hard put to pick a favorite this time. But that last picture, of the heating plant at night, is dreamily mesmerizing. It's like being there watching the color changes hang on the water, and involuntarily suspended in the air. It's amazing how much color can be reflected in such darkness. All the different textures seem deliberate rather than done by nature :.)

Looks like it wanted to rain or snow again. And the softness of the mist and steam, the sleek shapes of the plant and dynamic sateen sheens across the floes, all conspire to keep the image busy yet it doesn't loose balance. Very nice.

I also keep going back to the woods and marsh pictures, and those of the village. Ha. They're addictive :.)

And it's true that backflips in frozen mud would make a good shot indeed Hopefully the new cam won't ever be a casualty :.)

Old 01-14-2009   #134
Christian
Super Moderator

I'm carrying my new cam in a inner pocket of my leather jacked, directly above my heart. Hope it is save over there ^^

I so waited to take photos like the one of the heating plant.. I love that i can chose exposure times.

We got a huge load of snow over whole germany (aswell as north and east Europe) in the night to the 5th January 2009. The temperatures where forcasted to go down and down for the next days and so we got something around -5°F at night (record: -32°F somewhere) and still only ~14°F at day just one and a half day later.

It was Monday and so I went into the center of Berlin for my classes again, not without doing my traditional mini hike. The snow caused lots of problems for the traffic and so i went a bit earlier for my bus. Well.. my bus came 5 minuts too late and needed for a (max) 15minutes way a half hour. As I reached the center with my subway I only had 10 minutes left to be clocklike at my class but I still wanted (and needed!!^^) to do my little hike.. and so I did it and took all the time I needed this time. To bad the delay stole me the end of a nice sunrise.

I also wanted to do another little night hike later the day and so I had my tripod with me. Temperatures at the day had been something around 25°F this morning and the sky had been clear.

1 bike_med.JPG
Bike in the snow as I waited for the bus

1 snow1_med.JPG1 snow2_med.JPG1 snow3_med.JPG
Snow in the 'Tiergarden'

1 lake_med.JPG
The lake I took so many photos from before, covered by ice and snow.

2 kombi5.JPG
:D to bad the break between the last times is a bit rude ^^

2 swan1_med.JPG2 duck_med.JPG
Swan and a duck, to bad I didn't got the duck focused so fast..

2 tree_med.JPG2 channel1_med.JPG
Snowy tree at a bridge on channel and the channel under the tree from a bridge.

2 train1_med.JPG2 train2_med.JPG
watergate on ice with trains crossing a bridge. (the first one is called ICE and is germany's high-speed train ^^)

sun_med.JPG
Morning sun a bit earlier

I went back to my class and arrived 45min to late. The docent looked amused as I entered the class, totaly frozen with the tripod attached on backpack, I guess she knows allready what I'm doing before her class everytime (its a small class, just 10-15 students).

I went back to my University after the last 45minutes of her class and took a few more photos:

3 villa1_med.JPG3 villa2_med.JPG
Villa Anna before and after the class.

3 tower_med.JPG
Our 'Weathertower'..

3 ice1_med.JPG3 ice2_med.JPG
..and ice on it.

I went home but stoped for a (very) long time at the heating plant to wait for the night with my tripod mounted on a little plank at the channel with me freezing to death behind.

4 plant_med.JPG
Heating plant after sunset, the plant made the ice on the channel dew.

4 night1_med.JPG4 night2_med.JPG
And the night came. Yay!.. I so love the last one :D
Heating plant in the night with a half moon.

I got ill after that.. my stomach tryed to kill me and made me suffer in my bed on my hot-water bag for seven and a half day.. horrible. Had that pain/problem a half year ago around my birthday and the doc still doesn't know where it came from..

That made me miss some so lovely sunrises (wasn't able to sleep much because of the pain) ony the very low temperatures that made evrything freeze and white.. gna.. so waited for weather like that..

We got a full moon at 10/11th January I took those photos as i had been refilling my hot-water bag.

4 moon1_med.JPG4 moon2_med.JPG
Full moon at begin and end of the night.

Glad I'm feeling better now and was able to finaly post those photos :)

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 01-15-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-15-2009   #135
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant, those are!

The close-up of the icicles is just sick. Amazing.

And I love how you captured the interesting textures and lighting on the snow-covered branches. Also amazing. Beautiful, winter-y scenes.

Generally, amazing work. :)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #136
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Very nice as always. I particularly enjoyed those last several at night. I managed to take a few pictures today and hope to get more tomorrow.

This one is my favorite. I think!

Old 01-18-2009   #137
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
Attachment 7318
:D to bad the break between the last times is a bit rude ^^
Verrry nice! I really like that photo combination and even saved it. =]

- Glad to hear your better now!

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #138
Christian
Super Moderator

I realy liked the fresh snow too, thats why I nearly skipped my class and came way to late. But hey, I guess the docent knew anyways why I came to late and did understand that. She looked a bit amused as I came in the class ^^

I guess I will continue my photo combination for a while, as longs as I'm able to go there each monday.

January the 13th was the first day I felt a bit better for a while and so I walked a bit after I went buying food before I went home again.

The cold wave was already over (to bad) and warm weather was about to come..

1 heat1_med.JPG1 heat2_med.JPG
Heating plant.. I guess I took a photo from any direction now..

1 tree1_med.JPG
Tree in the sun (yay, sun)

1 ice1_med.JPG
and a excavating machine on a boat crushing ice on the channel infront of the heating plant.
Old 01-20-2009   #139
Christian
Super Moderator

15th of January I'm finaly feeling better and we got some very thick fog in Berlin.

I needed to buy some more food and went home along the channel again to take a few nightly fog photos of the heating plant...

2 fog1_med.JPG
On my way to the supermarket.

2 fog2_med.JPG
At the channel, directly opposite of the plant.. There wasn't much more to see.

2 fog3_med.JPG
Lights and the channel in the fog.

2 bridge_med.JPG
A bridge above with traffic in the fog.

All photos had been made with a long (8sec +) exposure time.
It was kinda sleekly(?) along the channel because most snow melted to ice. Glad i had some spikes I was able to attach to my shoes ^^

Last edited by Christian; 01-20-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-20-2009   #140
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

That last one is mesmerizing. For some reason it reminds me of an old TV series called "Dragnet".

The tree in the sun seems like a remarkably tranquil end of the day.

Tags
christian, photography