Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page > Back Page News

Back Page News Not quite front page material.

Old 11-10-2006   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
RIP Jack Palance

Whoa! This dude was a great actor and played heavies/bad guys through most of his early career then switched to comedy (successfully) in the Billy Crystal cowboy comedy City Slickers. At the age of 71, on live TV, he dropped to the floor of the Academy Awards to do one armed pushups! I know- I saw him do it. Hell, at half his age, I'm barely able to do TWO armed pushups...

RIP Jack. You will be missed.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006   #2
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RIP Jack Palance

When Jack Palance won the best supporting actor award in 1991 for his role in "City Slickers," he demonstrated his virility by performing one-armed pushups on stage
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #3
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post

When Jack Palance won the best supporting actor award in 1991 for his role in "City Slickers," he demonstrated his virility by performing one-armed pushups on stage

Yeah. Blew me away. Hardly the "frail" old man most 70+ year old men would be. I can only hope I'm half as powerful as he was when I hit 70.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #4
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

As usual Tom had to show me a picture of him for me to remember who he was. I know the actor and some of his work, just not familiar with his name. Was wondering tho why his memorial is set for Dec. 16th, a whole month away.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #5
Sartana
Well Known Member

Sartana is just really niceSartana is just really nice

a sad sad loss indeed.

A wonderfully bizarre actor with an equally bizarre and memorable face.

Did you know that Palance has never seen a film he has appeared in?

He had quite a few roles as strange villains in spaghetti westerns...here are a few examples...

Here he is as the sadisitic and partially homosexual villain Curly from the spaghetti western "The Mercenary". One scene shows him pulling the pin on a grenade that he strategically placed in somebodies mouth.

Here he is as the pot smoking, one armed Irish bounty hunter named John in "Vamos a matar Companeros!" (which is a companion piece to "the mercenary"). To make his character even more bizarre he has a human flesh eating hawk named Marsha.

Yesterday was a sad day indeed.

Sartana: I'm your pallbearer.

Last edited by Sartana; 11-12-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Sartana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006   #6
albee1025
Very Experienced Member

albee1025 is a glorious beacon of lightalbee1025 is a glorious beacon of lightalbee1025 is a glorious beacon of lightalbee1025 is a glorious beacon of lightalbee1025 is a glorious beacon of light

I am in shock. Jack Palance was such a good actor. But, let's not fret about this; he is immortalized in his movies and that one astounding Oscar moment.

R.I.P. Mr. Palance.