Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 02-05-2004   #1
david
Elite Member

david has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to david
Fox News

http://blugg.com/stuff/foxs_view_of_the_bbc_player.htm

Anti-American? Yes, if you're this arrogant I think we're entitled to be.
Old 02-05-2004   #2
jayhay0
Old & Wise Member

jayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jayhay0
Re: Fox News

bbc = OWNED
Old 02-05-2004   #3
david
Elite Member

david has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by jayhay0
bbc = OWNED
I'd never justify anything this war has had our governents produce, but still, this just goes to show how blind the American public are to their own mass-media frenzy concerning the 'sexing-up' of the Iraq Dossier.
Old 02-05-2004   #4
jyotishi

jyotishi will become famous soon enough

fox news = comedy central

BBC = lady that had good reputation but now is questionable
jyotishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004   #5
jayhay0
Old & Wise Member

jayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jayhay0

Quote:
Originally Said by Scourge
I'd never justify anything this war has had our governents produce, but still, this just goes to show how blind the American public are to their own mass-media frenzy concerning the 'sexing-up' of the Iraq Dossier.
I never said any network was right or wrong, but the way that guy was bashing the BBC is why I said that it was OWNED.

I have no idea what the BBC did or did not cover on the air. . .
Old 02-05-2004   #6
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

Holy Shit!!!......I actually feel quite insulted by that, they have completely misinterpreted what actually happened, and his sarcastic nature does not lend itself well to this at all..

I did then, and still stick by it now, that the BBC's view that the government 'sexed' up the dossier 'casue if thats a lie then why are there now investigations into the missing weapons and problems within the governments of both the UK and USA.
Old 02-05-2004   #7
Higgins
mudpuppet is colored

Higgins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Higgins Send a message via Yahoo to Higgins

Quote:
Originally Said by Psychosis
Holy Shit!!!......I actually feel quite insulted by that, they have completely misinterpreted what actually happened, and his sarcastic nature does not lend itself well to this at all.
From what I heard one of the BBC reporters bashed the US Army by saying something along the lines of "The heroic Iraqi Army is repeling an ignorant American Armed Forces". Even most of the biggest anti-american people realized that the US was stomping the Iraqi military. If the US Armed forces should be there at all, thats your opinion. But how can you say something so ignorant?

Now someone is gonna bash me for American "arrogance"
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004   #8
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Higgins
From what I heard one of the BBC reporters bashed the US Army by saying something along the lines of "The heroic Iraqi Army is repeling an ignorant American Armed Forces". Even most of the biggest anti-american people realized that the US was stomping the Iraqi military. If the US Armed forces should be there at all, thats your opinion. But how can you say something so ignorant?

Now someone is gonna bash me for American "arrogance"
Granted I think that was missreported by the BBC, but then again I dont honestly remember that happening. What I dont agree on is the fact that the BBC did not outright lie, it showed a view which they though the public should be made aware of and that was that according to one of the former leading U.N weapon inspectors there were and possibly still no weapons of mass destruction at all in Iraq and that the government (british and american) had falsified the so called 'dossier for war' just so they could go..
Old 02-05-2004   #9
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Quote:
Originally Said by Psychosis
Granted I think that was missreported by the BBC, but then again I dont honestly remember that happening. What I dont agree on is the fact that the BBC did not outright lie, it showed a view which they though the public should be made aware of and that was that according to one of the former leading U.N weapon inspectors there were and possibly still no weapons of mass destruction at all in Iraq and that the government (british and american) had falsified the so called 'dossier for war' just so they could go..
That newscaster presents a biased view of the news, which seems to be universal in network broadcasting.

Funny you should bring up the issue of WMDs, though.

I'm not going to get into it here, but in the "America?" thread, around page 3 or 4, there are some posts on the subject that you might find edifying. The claim that the US had no reason to go into Iraq is rather unjustified at this point.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004   #10
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth
That newscaster presents a biased view of the news, which seems to be universal in network broadcasting.

Funny you should bring up the issue of WMDs, though.

I'm not going to get into it here, but in the "America?" thread, around page 3 or 4, there are some posts on the subject that you might find edifying. The claim that the US had no reason to go into Iraq is rather unjustified at this point.
Right. Bias will always be present--no way around it. The idea of a "No Spin Zone" is ludicrous.

And right again. It's disturbing that the US and UK used WMDs as a major reason to go into Iraq when the evidence just wasn't there. It's also disturbing if they knew this and lied. However, the world must certainly be a better place with Saddam in custody. (True, Iraq isn't in great shape right now, but did people expect things to change in a matter of months?)

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004   #11
david
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth
...the claim that the US had no reason to go into Iraq is rather unjustified at this point.
Because they could be justified how? How is invading Iraq on the premise of WMD's... scrub that, it's a ficticious reason. How is invading Iraq on the premise of clearing a dictator a justified reason? Do we then invade China, Georgia, South Africa?
Old 02-06-2004   #12
JT11

JT11 should be rewarded

Quote:
Originally Said by cstoll
Right. Bias will always be present--no way around it. The idea of a "No Spin Zone" is ludicrous.

And right again. It's disturbing that the US and UK used WMDs as a major reason to go into Iraq when the evidence just wasn't there. It's also disturbing if they knew this and lied. However, the world must certainly be a better place with Saddam in custody. (True, Iraq isn't in great shape right now, but did people expect things to change in a matter of months?)
I think Fox News gets called "right wing" because it doesn't bow down and read off what the NY Times and Washington Post print. It is in contrast to ABC, NBC, CBS and CNN.

Gathering intelligence is very seldom 100% full proof. As we monitor saddam, he is telling his scientists to produce WMD. The scientists are saying "yes sir" but are actually pocketing the money and telling him they are doing it. Republican Guard commanders were sure that other guard units had them. This is not a country that communicates well. It is a very compartmentalized gov't.

Between us hearing him say do it, the unaccounted weapons from 1998, his history of being extremely paranoid, and his use of it in the past, under the circumstances, and given what every intelligence agency on the planet agreed was going on in Iraq, we made the right choice.
JT11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004   #13
verilon

verilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to beholdverilon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to verilon

I am unsure who is the worse.. the BBC morons who lied about their actions, or the idiot who justifies the hatred of the American press?
Someday, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides, and gravity, we shall harness the energies of love. Then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire--
--Teilhard de Chardin
--> CLICK ME!! <--

verilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004   #14
david
Elite Member

Y'know, because -quite clearly- that piece of newsreel should be accepted as being totally unbias and shall be treated with the utmost respect. It's not offensive in any way. Oh no.
Old 02-23-2004   #15
HauntedMike
fear the hangover fairy

HauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divineHauntedMike is divine
Send a message via MSN to HauntedMike Send a message via Yahoo to HauntedMike

Too... much... sarcasm... *gasp*

Can't... take...

*dies*

-Mike