Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 02-02-2004   #181
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth
Re: America?

Quote:
Originally Said by neomp5
think about it. there's more people outside the U.S. than there is in the southern U.S.
Yeah, and more people use "is" instead of "are" when contracting a plural verb with "there," but that doesn't make it right. I'm afraid majority doesn't rule when it comes to language issues.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004   #182
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth
I'm afraid majority doesn't rule when it comes to language issues.
maybe not in the case of grammar, but in the case of definitions, yes
neomp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004   #183
JT11

JT11 should be rewarded

Quote:

i think you've been watching too much SCTV
You're right! That's one of my all-time favorite shows.
JT11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004   #184
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

Quote:
Originally Said by JT11
You're right! That's one of my all-time favorite shows.
i hate that show.
neomp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004   #185
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Quote:
maybe not in the case of grammar, but in the case of definitions, yes
Once again, you stun me with your amazing rhetorical skills.

I was going to make a point-by-point rebuttal to your argument, but you really pulled that one out from under me. I never expected you to not make any points. Very skillful.

We have gotten off of our topic here; this thread is about finished, I'd say.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004   #186
JT11

JT11 should be rewarded

Quote:
i hate that show.
damn, I thought we could at least have one thing in common
Old 02-04-2004   #187
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the thread is just about dead. But before it dies, I want to go back to an argument between purplefurryfreak and JT11 about the reasons behind the Sept 11 attacks. I'm bothered by it because purple's insistence that "American attitude" is the reason behind the terrorists' actions is an explanation that I hear quite often.
As stated by purplefurryfreak:
IT IS the hatred of the western way, and particularly what they see as the American way of life that was responsible for the attacks....They did it for a reason - because of the american attitude about themselves and towards other world peoples. I maintain that what I have said is fact, proven by logic - if americans didn't have this swaggering conduct they would not be resented and the terrorists would not have attacked.

[The swaggering conduct comes from]...the 'we are the greatest and most powerful country in the world' idea.
Now I say:
This explanation alone, quite simply, is a load of hooey. But by extension, coupled with American foreign policy, it makes some more sense. Alone, though, it's wrong.

How do we know this? Because bin Laden has been quite vocal in the video and audio tapes sent to the press about what twists his beard and gets his panties in a jihad-inspiring bunch.

The main thing is he thinks we're out to kill Muslims:
Bin Ladenís grievances against the United States--including the presence of its troops in Saudi Arabia, its backing of U.N. sanctions against Iraq, its support of repressive Arab regimes, and its alliance with Israel--all boil down to charges that American power is aimed at hurting Muslims. "The whole Muslim world is the victim of international terrorism, engineered by America at the United Nations," bin Laden said in 1998.

Regarding the United Nations economic sanctions:
The United States is the leading advocate of maintaining the U.N. sanctions on Iraq. In 1998, bin Laden declared war on the US and insisted that a "great devastation" had been "inflicted on the Iraqi people." In a videotape released a few weeks after September 11, bin Laden said, "Millions of innocent children are being killed in Iraq and in Palestine, and we donít hear a word from the infidels."

Regarding our presence in holy lands:
The United States and its "infidel troops" have been "occupying the lands of Islam in the holiest of its territories (where Muhammed founded Islam), plundering its riches, overwhelming its rulers, humiliating its people, threatening its neighbors, and using its bases in the [Arabian] peninsula as a spearhead to fight against the neighboring Islamic peoples."

According to bin Laden, our policies add up to a "clear declaration of war on Allah, his messenger, and Muslims."

Note he says nothing of our "swaggering" or the idea that "the US is the best."
It's about religion.
It's about territory.
It's about the power of the US and the UN affecting the poverty of Iraq.
It's about siding with their enemies.

It's about time people realize this.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004   #188
JT11

JT11 should be rewarded

Very good post cstoll, and a fitting way to end this debate. My point, which you stated much more eloquently, is that saying the American attitude caused 9/11, is to simplify and attempt to put in a "box" the jihad issue.

Quote:
Originally Said by cstoll
Yeah, the thread is just about dead. But before it dies, I want to go back to an argument between purplefurryfreak and JT11 about the reasons behind the Sept 11 attacks. I'm bothered by it because purple's insistence that "American attitude" is the reason behind the terrorists' actions is an explanation that I hear quite often.
As stated by purplefurryfreak:
IT IS the hatred of the western way, and particularly what they see as the American way of life that was responsible for the attacks....They did it for a reason - because of the american attitude about themselves and towards other world peoples. I maintain that what I have said is fact, proven by logic - if americans didn't have this swaggering conduct they would not be resented and the terrorists would not have attacked.

[The swaggering conduct comes from]...the 'we are the greatest and most powerful country in the world' idea.
Now I say:
This explanation alone, quite simply, is a load of hooey. But by extension, coupled with American foreign policy, it makes some more sense. Alone, though, it's wrong.

How do we know this? Because bin Laden has been quite vocal in the video and audio tapes sent to the press about what twists his beard and gets his panties in a jihad-inspiring bunch.

The main thing is he thinks we're out to kill Muslims:
Bin Ladenís grievances against the United States--including the presence of its troops in Saudi Arabia, its backing of U.N. sanctions against Iraq, its support of repressive Arab regimes, and its alliance with Israel--all boil down to charges that American power is aimed at hurting Muslims. "The whole Muslim world is the victim of international terrorism, engineered by America at the United Nations," bin Laden said in 1998.

Regarding the United Nations economic sanctions:
The United States is the leading advocate of maintaining the U.N. sanctions on Iraq. In 1998, bin Laden declared war on the US and insisted that a "great devastation" had been "inflicted on the Iraqi people." In a videotape released a few weeks after September 11, bin Laden said, "Millions of innocent children are being killed in Iraq and in Palestine, and we donít hear a word from the infidels."

Regarding our presence in holy lands:
The United States and its "infidel troops" have been "occupying the lands of Islam in the holiest of its territories (where Muhammed founded Islam), plundering its riches, overwhelming its rulers, humiliating its people, threatening its neighbors, and using its bases in the [Arabian] peninsula as a spearhead to fight against the neighboring Islamic peoples."

According to bin Laden, our policies add up to a "clear declaration of war on Allah, his messenger, and Muslims."

Note he says nothing of our "swaggering" or the idea that "the US is the best."
It's about religion.
It's about territory.
It's about the power of the US and the UN affecting the poverty of Iraq.
It's about siding with their enemies.

It's about time people realize this.
Old 02-04-2004   #189
Fenon
Very Experienced Member

Fenon is just really niceFenon is just really nice

If you could just add 60+ more posts or make some new threads, I would like this thread to be the biggest on the page.
Fenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004   #190
Fenon
Very Experienced Member

Fenon is just really niceFenon is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Said by MystikA
if we still had points added everytime someone replied in ur thread. you'd have like over 9800 points.
Yeah that sucks, but I got all the music I liked from this site before it was all taken away.
Fenon is offline   Reply With Quote