Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Site Issues & Suggestions

Site Issues & Suggestions Post here if you're having problems with anything on the site or forum. Questions also fielded here. Also make suggestions for features or changes you want to see made to Almost Smart.

Old 02-22-2010   #1
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
User: "BoardSupport"

Please disregard/delete/obliterate any messages you receive from this "user." It is a Spammer. And nobody likes Spam.

Its message to me looked something like this:

Quote:
Originally Said by BoardSupport's "Official" Warning

Warning! Next time we will have to complaint to your ISP.
Recipients: bruknot, Endurell, giblets, lineskier420, Zanahoria_Picante
1 Hour Ago
BoardSupport
Banned

BoardSupport is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to BoardSupport

Warning! Next time we will have to complaint to your ISP.
Dear, lineskier420;Zanahoria_Picante;Endurell;giblets;br uknot!A virus alert was noticed on your computer. We highly recommend you to check your computer and perform online virus check at our site immediately: http://securitytool2010.com/lineskie...lets;bruknotIf you do not pass this test we will have to delete your account and forward a complaint to your ISP with attached log file (your IP address, etc.).----------------------------------------------------Forum Administration www.almostsmart.com.
Obvious, this is, but just thought I'd point it out, for good measure! Please don't worry about the "viruses"! Please!

Also, please don't click on any links it sends. Obviously.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 02-22-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #2
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Re: User: "BoardSupport"

I recommend that people use a program called HostsMan from http://www.abelhadigital.com

It will block bad sites like this (and some sites you might otherwise go to, like torrent sites).

Of course, the program can be easily disabled if you find a site blocked that you want to go to, and then enabled when you're done. Most ads are blocked as well. It operates my adding bad sites and adservers to the Windows HOSTS file redirecting the www.blah.com address to 127.0.0.1 - Your "localhost" or, in other words, instead of connecting to a bad site, it connects to your own computer! No harm can be done and it actually saves bandwidth!

Ask me if you've got questions about it.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #3
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

^ That does sound help-full. But will that really prevent spammers from signing up to and spamming the site, captain?

Uh oh. Looks like BoardSupport has a...uh...male-female counterpart?

LadySupport

Ambiguous gender + Spamming = Mild irritation. >:|

(Okay, the ambiguous gender really has nothing to do with it; still, it is rather strange.)

Apparently, this one went ahead and picked up where its former co-spammer left off with the random-person-private-messaging (consisting of what, no idea). I "caught" it doing thusly when in I signed. Also no idea how many it sent out. Strange. Wish there were a way to prevent this particularly irritating brand of spamming from happening.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 03-01-2010 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2010   #4
EmperorChaos

EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
^ That does sound help-full. But will that really prevent spammers from signing up to and spamming the site, captain?
No ma'am...but having it may very well have saved your computer's life. =P

There are scripts/programs designed for forums and the like that block known bad IPs from connecting. I don't know how to add them though. I might look into it on the eRepublik party forum I am an administrator on.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 04-08-2010   #5
Sharker
Old & Wise Member

Sharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Sharker Send a message via MSN to Sharker Send a message via Yahoo to Sharker

Hmmm, how longs this been going on for? I just recently started back here, but i was really amazed people would want to spam this site, thats pretty fucked up. I think i found three of those messages on my first login, i just got one today too, but hes banned already.

Sharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #6
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

yea, i hate that crap. aren't there any more measures that can be taken to prevent this kind of crap?
Old 04-08-2010   #7
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

^ I don't know, we'd have to talk to Weasel about I think.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #8
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

just get EC back. he doesn't mind messing with stuff on the site. lol
Old 04-08-2010   #9
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

^ Yeah and screwing it up. THAT'S RIGHT, EC, I'm CALLING YOU OUT. (he'll never read this so I'm not worried.)

A lot of that stuff you have to be an admin to do, so Weasel's the only one we could go to.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-09-2010   #10
Zanahoria_Picante

Yes, this is an infinitely more annoying type of spam. I would rather punch...punch myself in the face than receive one of those messages, because even that would be less annoying, if not more painful and stupid. Never mind; still less painful and stupid.

In short, it would be awesome if there were any way to prevent this type of spam. Unh.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 04-12-2010   #11
Sharker
Old & Wise Member

Sharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to allSharker is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Sharker Send a message via MSN to Sharker Send a message via Yahoo to Sharker

Yeah, but its not the most active board on earth, i dont really understand why anyone would have reason to spam the shit out of AS :\ People have no lives i guess? I mean, neither do i, but theres always something better to do than spam people -_- Thats like the idiots who started making viruses, they were just bored and had nothing better to do, so they wanted to kill peoples computers, bleh... They made a virus for the iphone even... isnt that fucked up?

Old 04-12-2010   #12
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

haterz
Old 04-13-2010   #13
Sharker
Old & Wise Member

lol, i just got a sticker that says "I <3 Haters!" :)

Old 04-14-2010   #14
Jabedin
Aladdin's brother

Jabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond repute

Actually there's some truth to that, self-replicating programs were first used in the 1970s as an experiment basically to "see if it could be done. Then the technology was expanded from there for malicious uses mostly pertaining to what is normally referred to as piracy. A large part of what inspired this pop-song from newgrounds http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/531367

Otherwise, modern virus' are released solely from monetary influence (either to not pay or to get paid or out of a frustration from losing pay) but I suppose that would be too far in the realm of semantics. I guess what I'm saying here is, it's not for boredom anymore, it's for cold hard cash money, no matter how disguised they might think they've made it

In your heart, pumping your blood
Jabedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #15
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
^ Yeah and screwing it up. THAT'S RIGHT, EC, I'm CALLING YOU OUT. (he'll never read this so I'm not worried.)
OMG! I just read this! AND I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU JENN!

You betrayed Shiva.
-=-=-=-
Old 04-25-2010   #16
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

I was hoping you'd see this at some point.

Also, Shiva does not exist.
Old 04-26-2010   #17
EmperorChaos

Aum Namah Shivaya.
Aum Namah Shivaya.
Aum Namah Shivaya.
-=-=-=-
Old 04-26-2010   #18
SpudNuts
Just Bubblin'

SpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to SpudNuts

On a similar note PaulKnorr has now sent me two messages in the last 45 mins about some shite I never bothered reading. get him awa tae fuck.

Alba gu brth
SpudNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #19
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

It seems that we got a new 'spam-bot': CarlosDevil. He never made a post but is pm'ing the member list up and down.
Old 05-21-2010   #20
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

its not just here either another site I visit regular gets them, and on THAT one I've been hit alot with the spam bots...on here, nothing...almost feel left out lol..

Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote