Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Sports

Old 02-08-2009   #1
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute
Favorite Supplements and Powder Shakes

Along with good eating habits, good nutrition, and good training program, certain supplements and powders can be very helpful and beneficial in enhancing the results of your workout.

What are some of your favorite ones that you feel has given you the best results? And why?

(I will post mine shortly)
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #2
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine
Re: Favorite Supplements and Powder Shakes

I have always had a tough time when it comes to shakes. I hate chocolate for the most part so anything chocolate flavored i cannot drink. I also do not like artificial strawberry flavor either and that usually leaves me with vanilla. However, at the local Gold's we have a smoothie shop that actually uses real fruit, i usually get the energy boost smoothie which has real bananas and strawberries mixed in. I have wanted to find some powders for weight loss to put in a blender with some fruit here at home though. Have you got any suggestions? I would love to make a batch and drink it on the way to my class in the mornings. I would prefer something that promotes weight loss and gives you energy. I am not a morning person, lol
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #3
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Designer Nutrition Natural Whey.

Because there are no freaky chemicals in it. The ingredients lists on some "protein powders" are frankly pretty frightening. Also, Natural Whey has no added sugar or artificial flavoring, which is pretty rare.

That way, I can put it in whatever I want and it won't taste off. My quick and dirty protein shake of choice is 1 cup 2% milk, 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce, and 1 scoop of protein powder (contains 29g protein), for a total of ~270 calories and 40g protein. Something like 10g of sugars in the form of lactose and fructose from the milk and apple sauce, along with 3g of fiber from the apple sauce and some calcium and vitamins from the milk.

If I have time to use the blender, I'll add a tbsp of peanut butter, for another 100 calories, 2g of protein, and some mono-unsaturated fat. But the added peanut butter makes the shake really filling, so it fills the hungry afternoon space between lunch and my weight routine.

Another good one is 2 cups of chocolate milk, 1 tbsp of shredded coconut, and 1 tbsp of almond meal. That one has ~350 calories, 50g of protein, and 20-30g of sugars depending on the brand of milk and coconut. It is mmmmmm good. This one is usually my post-workout recovery drink, since at that point your body needs the carbs to replenish exhausted glycogen stores in your muscles.

Another useful trick that I found it is to mix up your shake, then let it sit in the fridge for a while before drinking it. This seems to mitigate the whey-protein flavor. The two shakes I described above, after sitting for a while, don't taste anything like the protein powder at all. Which is nice, because lets face it, whey protein tastes like shit.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009   #4
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny that you mention Designer Nutrition Natural Whey!
I use that stuff too...I love it!

What I do is I take a blender fill it up about 75%-80% of the way with Powerade Zero (it really doesn't matter what flavor, but I like the grape the best), then I add a scoop of Designer Nutrition Natural Whey, a scoop of Controlled Labs White Flood, a scoop of Controlled Labs Purple Wraath, a banana, a handful of blueberries, and sprinkle some flax seeds in there too.

Yugo, try that about 30-45 minutes before a workout. It's hard to describe, but you'll see what I'm talking about
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 02-10-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2009   #5
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Multi Vitamin, Calcium, C vitamin - taken everyday.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009   #6
ROSEWITHTHORNS

ROSEWITHTHORNS is a jewel in the roughROSEWITHTHORNS is a jewel in the roughROSEWITHTHORNS is a jewel in the rough

c vitamin is hard to swallow tho. its like a horse pill. tastes really weird too.
Old 02-10-2009   #7
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Quote:
Originally Said by ROSEWITHTHORNS View Post
c vitamin is hard to swallow tho. its like a horse pill. tastes really weird too.
You can get Vitamin C pills in different shapes, sizes and potency levels.