Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Gamers Hangout

Gamers Hangout Forum for game addicts. PC or console.

Old 12-12-2006   #1
Nizzle
Newbie Member

Nizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
World of Warcraft

What about that (non)adictive MMRPG game. I hear so much in the news lately, is it really as adictive as they say it is? Isn't it a one man's opinion? Just wondering..

Grz.
Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #2
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass
Re: World of Warcraft

Yes.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006   #3
Cloud
Cool Canadian

Cloud has a spectacular aura aboutCloud has a spectacular aura aboutCloud has a spectacular aura about

Yes, it is really addicting. I've heard stories of people having to go into rehab because they played it so much. I also heard stories of people losing their wives because of it. They even have sweatshops in China where they tie kids to computers for the purpose of harvesting gold. They then take that gold and sell it to people for real money. People will buy and sell swords and stuff with real money, because their lives in the game is better than their lives in real life.
So yes, to some people, it is really addictive. Didnt you see that south park episode of WoW?
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #4
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

I think the South Park episode misrepresented the demographic of people who play WoW. It's mostly highschoolers and people in their twenties, with jobs, girlfriends, normal lives...WoW is just their passtime. I was actually a little pissed to see it so slammed in SP...now whenever someone finds out I play, they el oh el at me and say I'm going to end up like that episode of SP.

Also, for some people, it's what we're good at. I was on the wrestling team for a while, and practice was every day after school for three to four hours. No one would say, "he's addicted to wrestling." But if someone plays WoW after school for three to four hours, oh em gee "he's addicted to that game. Did you see that episode of SP? Where they were fat? El oh el, he's going to end up like that." WoW isn't always fun, it's a lot of farming, grinding, boring stuff. It's also sometimes a lot of pain when you fuck up or don't get a drop you want. But I also get a lot of entertainment out of it, and a feeling of achievement. In those terms, I see it kind of as my sport of choice. And since no one would be saying that if I were playing water polo or lacrosse or soccer, or even chess, or building models, or collecting stamps for that long (three or four hours/day), why should it be any different if I'm playing WoW?

By the way Nizzle, we're pretty lax about it here, but there is already a World of Warcraft thread here, and another thread in which the addictiveness of WoW is being discussed (on the second page), here
Old 12-14-2006   #5
Wounded Satellite
Shooting Star

Wounded Satellite is divineWounded Satellite is divineWounded Satellite is divineWounded Satellite is divineWounded Satellite is divineWounded Satellite is divineWounded Satellite is divineWounded Satellite is divine

i never got around to playing WoW it seemed like a major waste of time.
i dont really like MMORPGs that much.
Wounded Satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #6
Higgins
mudpuppet is colored

Higgins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond reputeHiggins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Higgins Send a message via Yahoo to Higgins

Quote:
Originally Said by MudPuppet View Post
I think the South Park episode misrepresented the demographic of people who play WoW. It's mostly highschoolers and people in their twenties, with jobs, girlfriends, normal lives...WoW is just their passtime. I was actually a little pissed to see it so slammed in SP...now whenever someone finds out I play, they el oh el at me and say I'm going to end up like that episode of SP.

Also, for some people, it's what we're good at. I was on the wrestling team for a while, and practice was every day after school for three to four hours. No one would say, "he's addicted to wrestling." But if someone plays WoW after school for three to four hours, oh em gee "he's addicted to that game. Did you see that episode of SP? Where they were fat? El oh el, he's going to end up like that." WoW isn't always fun, it's a lot of farming, grinding, boring stuff. It's also sometimes a lot of pain when you fuck up or don't get a drop you want. But I also get a lot of entertainment out of it, and a feeling of achievement. In those terms, I see it kind of as my sport of choice. And since no one would be saying that if I were playing water polo or lacrosse or soccer, or even chess, or building models, or collecting stamps for that long (three or four hours/day), why should it be any different if I'm playing WoW?

By the way Nizzle, we're pretty lax about it here, but there is already a World of Warcraft thread here, and another thread in which the addictiveness of WoW is being discussed (on the second page), here

No way did you just call WoW a sport. Any tard with two functioning hands could play WoW. Raiding and instancing devolves into pressing a couple of buttons no matter what the class.

Dummy.
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006   #7
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between WoW and the sports you meantioned, is that the sports you meantioned are physical, improve your physique, your social skills, and your health and fitness.

Chess and collecting stamps, are not sports. Chess is a thinking game, and collecting stamps is a hobby. People who do that more than an hour a day, are idiots too.

Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006   #8
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

Sir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond repute

Soul-engulfing fun at its peak.

I was a skeptic.

I took a 10-day trial, and now, I'm leveling an undead mage and wearing a "For the Horde" T-shirt...
With your hands, hold the rain.

I want everyone to remember how precious life is...I didn't think too much about the future until I created it for myself...now I'm a bit more mature and have a beautiful daughter. Don't cheat yourself of a full life, surrounded by the people, things, and memories that you cherish.
Sir Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006   #9
Mystic Thunder
Old & Wise Member

Mystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mystic Thunder

the game is evil.

I know of a few people that still play the game and don't give a shit about their academics.

I used to play the game but I quite when it stopped being a game and started being politics.

It is true that there are people that just play it for 3 to 4 hours a day. if that was the case with most people then inot many people would complain. I know of people that playewd WOW for 15 hours non stop.

Auric, i suggest you quit while you're ahead or make sure you don't turn into a mindless WOW junkie.
Old 12-24-2006   #10
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

Sir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond repute

Think so?

I can play in moderation.

I enjoy the game, but it doesn't strike me as nessessary to play it continuously.

I want everyone to remember how precious life is...I didn't think too much about the future until I created it for myself...now I'm a bit more mature and have a beautiful daughter. Don't cheat yourself of a full life, surrounded by the people, things, and memories that you cherish.
Old 12-24-2006   #11
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Leave it to mudpuppet to try to defend WoW as being as cool as wrestling.

Take a group of 10 wrestlers, and a group of ten WoW players.. addicts or not.

I gaurantee you just 5 of the wrestlers will have more friends and a better social life then all 10 WoW'rs.

I'm sure there are people out there that enjoy WoW and still go out with friends, but I'm sure that's a very rare case.

As defined in UrbanDIctionary:
Quote:
1. world of warcraft

A good fun alternative to life.

Sex, career, friends, money and power. All
of these things are just distractions trying to pull you away from World of Warcraft

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006   #12
Demonica
Hormonal for life!

Demonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond reputeDemonica has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Demonica Send a message via Skype™ to Demonica

BAH! WAR CRAFT AND 1/1 CREATURE TOKENS! Stop the madness.

Well, She is!
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006   #13
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
Leave it to mudpuppet to try to defend WoW as being as cool as wrestling.

Take a group of 10 wrestlers, and a group of ten WoW players.. addicts or not.

I gaurantee you just 5 of the wrestlers will have more friends and a better social life then all 10 WoW'rs.

I'm sure there are people out there that enjoy WoW and still go out with friends, but I'm sure that's a very rare case.

As defined in UrbanDIctionary:
Not fucking true. Me, and all my friends, have a social life. We have attractive girlfriends. We get reasonable grades. We are funny and popular at school. WoW is made out to be something so much different from what it is. It isn't a "rare case." The demographic of people who play WoW has been severly misrepresented. A lot of the guys in my guild have wives, kids, white collar jobs. It's a passtime. Maybe it was a bit zealous to call it a sport, but it's most certianly a passtime that should be taken seriously and not looked down >_<

And you know what? I would rather sit at my computer and raid with my mage than grapple with other sweaty men whilst wearing spandex.
Old 12-26-2006   #14
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Exactly. I have a great social life, and all my friends who play do as well. Several of them are also on the wrestling team, ironically enough.

Leave it to Demento to stereotype us all.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #15
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

I have a girlfriend, many friends that hate the game, a job, and a life.

Me = not a loser.

Old 12-26-2006   #16
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Quote:
Originally Said by Bleed Black View Post
Leave it to Demento to stereotype us all.
Well put.
Old 12-27-2006   #17
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Sir Auric View Post
Me = not a loser.
Oh trust me, you are loser.

Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #18
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Son of a bitch. I got the trail, played for four days, bought the game, and now im addicted. Fuck you all.

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #19
Narnar
your PUR-FECT enemy

Narnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond repute

You FOOL!

I was debating on picking up WoW again for a semester entertainer. I really didn't feel like shelling out a truckload for the collectors edition expansion(Which I'm picky on having, must have all collectors editions! WRAA.) So I decided against playing it.. and chose a weaker and cheaper poison. :/

It's been a loooong time since I've played, I'm curious how much it's changed.
Narnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #20
Grunt
Aye, very good

Grunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since 2.1 patch, it fucks up your computer... or at least i fucked up mine and hundreds of other peoples. (check wow-online forums, RE: crash since patch)

when i can eventually get through to the wow call center, i'm canceling my subscription

Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote