Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 05-21-2013   #1
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Tornado hits Oklahoma City area

I guess everyone heard already about the huge Tornado that devastated Moore, a suburb of Oklahoma City.

[CNN.com]

Right now 51 people are confirmed dead, among them 20 children who died inside of their elementary school.

Wasn't someone of us living in or around Oklahoma City? Are you okay?
Old 05-21-2013   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: Tornado hits Oklahoma City area

I live here, and I'm fine.

I got hail though.

Also, they revised those numbers downward, as of now I think it's 24 dead, but they're expecting more today. A wall collapsed in a school, and a water line burst, drowning some kids who were taking shelter.

It's so, so heartbreaking. And scary. My power went out right after it finished hailing here, and I had watched enough coverage to know it was a tornado and I knew what path it was taking. I have tons of friends and family who would have been in the path and it took me about 20 minutes to find a radio so I could listen to coverage, so in the mean time I was terrified for them. And cell coverage has been spotty--you can text, not call. It's better today but was horrible yesterday.

I do know of several people who lost their homes. Moore is a newly booming area, and EVERYONE goes to the Warren theater.

It breaks my heart to watch the coverage, I've been crying quite a bit.

Oh and here's a pic of the hail I got:

I know that's huge hail and I may have roof damage, but it could have been so much worse for me. I'm so thankful that I'm okay and my family's fine, and I'm so heartbroken for those families who lost someone. I'm giving serious thought to buying an underground storm shelter.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #3
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

damn.
what about your car? ah, i forget you guys all ride horses out there. Lol

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013   #4
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
damn.
what about your car? ah, i forget you guys all ride horses out there. Lol
I have a garage, so my car is fine.

Nope, no horses. I live in the city; horses are not typical within the city proper, except the carriage rides in Bricktown.

It's a popular misconception that in Oklahoma it's like cowboys and indians. One would think with all the disasters that have happened here people wouldn't still think that.

Though...I heard some horror stories about the Orr farm (a popular place where kids have field trips sometimes) in Moore. Many many of their horses were killed yesterday.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-22-2013   #5
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

^ Good to hear you're okay, I was a bit in sorrow.

I got the news right when I was on night shift observing the weather so I got plenty of time watching every single news coverage.
Old 05-22-2013   #6
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Holy mother of hail... how did you even manage to get those without getting knocked out by them in the storm? I'm so glad to hear that you are ok. I hope all of your friends are too. Please keep us updated on the relief and rebuild as it progresses.

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #7
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Quote:
Originally Said by Pittielynn View Post
Holy mother of hail... how did you even manage to get those without getting knocked out by them in the storm? I'm so glad to hear that you are ok. I hope all of your friends are too. Please keep us updated on the relief and rebuild as it progresses.
I did not walk out in the hail, those were ones that fell onto my back porch. There was some hail that was about as big as soft balls, there was NO WAY I was going out in that. lol.

All my friends are just fine, and at the moment I don't think anyone I know lost a house. Having said that, I know for a fact there are people from work who live in the area, but because of where I work, since we are in storm mode right now it's hard to know who's gone because they're volunteering with the relief effort, who's gone because they're working to rebuild infrastructure, who's gone because they lost a house, or who's gone because they have relatives who are injured/killed.

Also, I heard something this morning that made my blood boil. Pat Robertson, who I hate with a passion, said that the tornado happened because the victims "didn't pray enough." He also said "why did you build houses where tornadoes were apt to happen?"

I know Pat Robertson is a troll but that made me mad. 24 people, including 9 children, did not die because they "did not pray enough." I am not religious but I've encountered many people who exemplify Christianity and he is not one of them. What a hateful human being.
Old 05-22-2013   #8
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

That's pretty disgusting - the Robertson quote, that is. What's even scarier is that we are still breeding creatures like him and they probably aren't going away any time soon!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)

Last edited by ablethevoice; 05-27-2013 at 02:27 PM.
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #9
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post

Also, I heard something this morning that made my blood boil. Pat Robertson, who I hate with a passion, said that the tornado happened because the victims "didn't pray enough." He also said "why did you build houses where tornadoes were apt to happen?"
Quote:
Originally Said by ablethevoice
That's pretty disgusting - the Robertson quote, that is. What even scarier is that we are still breeding creatures like him and they probably aren't going away any time soon!

god hates fags. him and that church ahole should be friends. they'd probably end up killing each other cuz one of them is an idiot.

just let that shit slide Jenn. I think honestly enough people would ask that question, "why did you blah blah?" but then again, why do I live in California right on the fuckn fault line, where Earthquakes happen? Why do the Japanese with tsunami's and fuckn why the fuck do we live on Earth? With all this bad shit that happens? stupid stupid stpuid

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #10
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I know Pat Robertson is a troll but that made me mad. 24 people, including 9 children, did not die because they "did not pray enough." I am not religious but I've encountered many people who exemplify Christianity and he is not one of them. What a hateful human being.
Thank you for your reasonable take on this, for acknowledging that men like him misrepresent Christianity. Thank you for not jumping on the bandwagon that says he exemplifies all Christians. Much appreciated. Any reasonable person would find his caustic, cruel commentary repulsive (he should know his concern should be praying for and bringing aid to people affected by tragedies like these), but thank you for stating that he does not exemplify all Christians--the ones at my church, for example, who are, as we speak, sending groups to aid the people of Oklahoma, as many, many churches are, as well. That's Christianity; that's charity. In the end, that's what everyone without an agenda and with compassion wants to do: Help.

Sorry for going on. I just appreciate you saying that. That said, my heart breaks for everyone affected by this devastation. (I plan to give something within the next couple days.)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #11
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Thank you for your reasonable take on this, for acknowledging that men like him misrepresent Christianity. Thank you for not jumping on the bandwagon that says he exemplifies all Christians. Much appreciated. Any reasonable person would find his caustic, cruel commentary repulsive (he should know his concern should be praying for and bringing aid to people affected by tragedies like these), but thank you for stating that he does not exemplify all Christians--the ones at my church, for example, who are, as we speak, sending groups to aid the people of Oklahoma, as many, many churches are, as well. That's Christianity; that's charity. In the end, that's what everyone without an agenda and with compassion wants to do: Help.
So MANY churches have been doing that here. Churches are wonderful for the community because they truly come together and give at a time like this. When you see true Christianity in action it is an amazing thing. It's people like Pat Robertson who has a big mouth piece that make people think Christianity is horrible.

Perhaps, as a former Christian, I'm just biased. But the last few days have shown how awesome churches are--they have used several churches as gathering places where loved ones can touch base, they have provided food, clothing, shelter, diapers, formula, and helped put people in touch with other organizations (FEMA, etc) that can help them in the next few months as they rebuild their lives. . That doesn't count the churches all over the state and country that are lending aide through people, donations, and necessities. I don't disparage those of the faith at all.

I haven't given money yet but I do plan to. I'm a mere 18 miles from the devastation...had the system gathered strength any earlier I could be one of those who lost homes and/or loved ones. This really put it all in perspective.
Old 05-23-2013   #12
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So MANY churches have been doing that here. Churches are wonderful for the community because they truly come together and give at a time like this. When you see true Christianity in action it is an amazing thing. It's people like Pat Robertson who has a big mouth piece that make people think Christianity is horrible.

Perhaps, as a former Christian, I'm just biased. But the last few days have shown how awesome churches are--they have used several churches as gathering places where loved ones can touch base, they have provided food, clothing, shelter, diapers, formula, and helped put people in touch with other organizations (FEMA, etc) that can help them in the next few months as they rebuild their lives. . That doesn't count the churches all over the state and country that are lending aide through people, donations, and necessities. I don't disparage those of the faith at all.

I haven't given money yet but I do plan to. I'm a mere 18 miles from the devastation...had the system gathered strength any earlier I could be one of those who lost homes and/or loved ones. This really put it all in perspective.
Yes, that thought must be absolutely terrifying, to think how close it was. I'm quite glad you weren't harmed in any way. I imagine having something like that happen so close to home must make it much more "real," make you empathize far more with such catastrophes. Even without that, though, a person can feel the devastation and be moved and grieve for those affected. (I do, too.)

Thank you. That is how I feel, as well; that kind of charity is what represents true Christianity. But I think an unbiased look at such relief effort should show to anyone what "Christianity in action," as you say, looks like and I would hope that would begin to compensate for the foolishness of one infamous loud mouth, even though sadly I doubt that. Either way, I am, as always, pleased to hear about the charity of churches in this time. That's all that really matters, in the end.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moore, oklahoma city, tornado