Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discussion related to technology, computers, and the internet.

Old 04-14-2013   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
Major headache!!

OK - here's the deal: a few days ago, I was coming back home from grocery shopping and noticed a large stack of several neatly-wrapped packages of various sizes left on the street curb awaiting garbage pickup. They were *so* neatly wrapped they got me curious so I actually pulled over to investigate. It turned out to be two complete PC rigs - the desktop boxes, keyboards, even (oldschool) monitors! The only thing I had to provide were mice (mouses? whatever). Both systems work. Both are running WIN XP Pro, although the hardware is rather old with PII 900mhz or thereabouts CPUs, a mere 512 MB RAM and what now strikes me as preposterously small C drives.

The thing is this: One of the systems (a Dell Dimension 4100) has two user accounts one of which was password protected, but the other account had admin permission, so it was no problem to get into the user account section and remove the PW on the protected account.

The other one - ah, man! - the other one has three accounts, two PW protected and a GUEST with no admin access. I can't do any maintenance on this one. Can't scandisc, can't defrag. The SAFE mode ADMIN account is also PW protected. The damn BIOS is even PW protected!!! I've read just about every web page and watched just about every YouTube vid on the subject of accessing an XP account with a forgotten or unknown PW and they all presume the computer's ADMIN account which comes up in SAFEmode is not PW locked. So, how the hell DO I access this computer? I want to see if the previous owner has any music or cool apps I may like to grab off the HD before I reformat it. I plan to use one or both and start teaching myself LINUX. I've always wanted a second computer just to piddle around with and mess with without destroying is as far as internet useability, wrecking registries, etc.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #2
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Major headache!!

Oh oh oh!!!! I can help!!1!!

....when I'm not at work because piratebay is blocked.

I know of a tool that is available to crack passwords. Comes in image format, burn to disc, insert into disc drive, it will scavenge the password for you. If I recall correctly it requires a change in process so it actually boots the disc. (putting disc drive before hard drive in the boot menu).

I'll see about finding it tonight for you.

Bingo!

Ophcrack

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013   #3
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't as of yet DLed this mainly because I did attempt (note that word) to burn an image after I unzipped another, similar program, but for whatever reason Nero burned the program, not the image. Either I don't know how to burn an image on disk, or maybe Nero can't do it. Either way, I wasted the last of my stash of blank CDs in the attempt. Can I run this cracker program off a usb flash drive or does it have to be run off a live CD?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 04-15-2013   #4
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

Use this. Foolproof. No idea how to do it form flashdrive though I think you can.

Old 04-15-2013   #5
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

OK. I got as far as successfully burning the ISO image disk. The program began to load. I saw several screensful of white-on-black text as the UNIX app unpacked (including several lines starting with ERROR), then....a flashing cursor which does not respond to any key entries and the CDROM drive stopped. I tried the other selections of the program to the same end. The program doesn't run.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 04-15-2013   #6
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...phcracksbs.htm

is a detailed step by step guide from download to operating the program. I would take a look and make sure everything is hunky dory.

When I had to use this tool I also had several errors crop up while booting the disc, and the program still loaded just fine. Short of that tutorial helping I am out of ideas sir :/ apologies

Old 04-15-2013   #7
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

I used the same tutorial you posted a link to. I got as far as step 7. The page shown on step 8 never shows up. The program stops just short of actually starting. It seems to load OK - up to a point just immediately before it starts...then it just stops.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 04-15-2013   #8
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Welp, here I thought I could help you but mayhaps not.

Sounds like the GUI isn't loading and it is going to the command prompt version.

Old 04-17-2013   #9
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

I think I know why that program didn't work. Something I never really thought of looking into: This system is *OLD*. It is running on a Celeron 400 mHz (yes, megahertz!) CPU with a 6GB HDD which is 74% full and a whopping 192 MB (yes, MEGAbytes) of RAM! One other thing I never said - that this 6GB HDD has two partitions, one containing a functioning WIN 98 OS which is what the (you ready for this?) PEOPLE PC originally shipped with. This 98 account does not have admin access to the system. The other one is a WIN XP PRO account and it is this one which is causing all the problems.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 04-17-2013   #10
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Sounds to me like they bunked the computer by trying to install XP over top of 98. Odds are nothing worth keeping on the HDD. Especially given the system performance. You could try to reformat by running an XP install or higher over top of the others, I'm sure you know to delete and re create partitions, format, then install and such.

If that gives you trouble just boot to command promt and /format C:\

Be aware you will need to flash a new bios into the PC if you do that though, which last I recall was a pain. Given the hardware in the PC maybe impossible to find the correct BIOS stuffs as well. Sounds like the perfect computer to mess with registry and such.

Come to think of it that may not even be able to run XP. Huh. That's old.

Old 04-17-2013   #11
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

The odd thing is that it does run XP. I can open the guest account on the XP Pro partition - I just can't do any maintenance on the HDD, nor can I uninstall any of the bloatware. The system actually can access the internet via my ethernet cable from our cable modem. I really want to examine the protected accounts just to make sure there isn't any cool programs or maybe some music I'd like to have before I actually \format C:/ which is exactly what I intend to do - but I refuse to give up. I WILL find a way to crack these fucking passwords.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 04-17-2013   #12
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

I'll do a little digging for you. Perhaps I'll turn up something.

Old 04-17-2013   #13
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

lol that was fast.

http://www.nairaland.com/843349/hack...-guest-account

You said you have noaccess to HDD so this may not work for you, worth a shot though

Old 05-10-2013   #14
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

So....

did you get in?

Old 05-15-2013   #15
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

No, actually I didn't. I've just stopped trying for the time. Still haven't reformatted. I really was getting a serious headache every night poring over endless youtube vids - each one assuming the safemode admin account was not protected. I don't honestly know if I ever will get in to that system.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 05-21-2013   #16
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Do you still need help with this? I could help you remove all account passwords as well as reset the BIOS to default, assuming you can determine what the mobo model is.

Also, I recommend Easy Boot CD 4 Win. It uses BartPE (a virtual Win XP environment) which will allow you to view the drive's contents without logging in.

I highly recommend Hiren's Boot CD, however. It's Linux-based and has far more functionality although it can be confusing, even overwhelming.

But hell yeah, you could run Linux on either of those boxes. Ubuntu on the PII and Lubuntu or BodhiLinux on the other one.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote