Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Writer's Corner

Writer's Corner The pen is mightier than the sword. Post your writings or poetry. Also discuss your favorite authors or books.

Old 05-15-2011   #541
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Re: What are you reading right now?

Quote:
Originally Said by Funk*Sonic*7 View Post
I just received it in the mail, so I've only read one chapter so far.

It has to be the most thought provoking work written in recent history on the modern culture shift towards the normalization of homosexuality.

Although I am sure you'll think it is a great book... maybe try reading some more chapters?

You're just trying to understand homosexuality, aren't you? Well, I am more interested in learning about the things that matter to me, such as space-time and technology. That's why I am reading:

The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #542
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
Although I am sure you'll think it is a great book... maybe try reading some more chapters?

You're just trying to understand homosexuality, aren't you?
I wouldn't make such a statement so soon into a book if I wasn't that confident about it.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 05-15-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #543
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Funk*Sonic*7 View Post
I wouldn't make such a statement so soon into a book if I wasn't that confident about it.
I will take your word for it then. I know I can make statements like that when I usually start a book.

I really have no interest in understanding or "curing" homosexuality. The secrets of the atom and the universe are more my speed.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 05-19-2011   #544
argentmoon
harajuku girl

argentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to argentmoon

i just finished dead reckoning by charlaine harris. um, wtf with the ending?

the spirit in me bows to the spirit in you

argentmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011   #545
EmperorChaos

I just started The Dream Cycle, a collection of H. P. Lovecraft's short stories.

This will be my first major introduction to Lovecraft. I have only read a few stories here and there but now I am going to read this whole collection and then maybe move on to more Lovecraft (perhaps with Tom's suggestions).
-=-=-=-
Old 05-21-2011   #546
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

well i finished Tom jones a while back but i cant remember if i wrote that on here. Love it though. Now I'm reading a bio on Audrey Hepburn
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #547
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

So, I have (reading) ADD. This is a list of books I am presently flip-flopping betwixt:

It's the prequel to 1984 in which a housewife seeks to overcome sexually-discriminatory societal norms and the preparation of certain kinds of carrot cake. Riveting story. Cried, cried for hours. It also has an Afterward concerning the relevancy and challenges of dyslexia to / in our post-modern world.

To Kill A Mocking Bird.
...is an okay thing.

The Poetry of Pablo Neruda.
*Drools, just drools all over the place*

The 100 Best Poems of All Time.
Among the worst and most tawdry collections of poetry I've ever come across. It includes "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." 'Nough said. It has enough of "the greats" to be barely tolerable, though.... I mainly keep it around because it has The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson, *one* Shakespeare and a few others that are read-able. But mainly, Prufrock.

Together, my sister and I are reading The Chronicles of Narnia. We're almost done. Crazy, considering how slowly and long we've been working through it. Years.

Aaaaaaand, The Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes.
Should be arriving in the mail--snail mail--soon. Guilty pleasure, creeping on Plath and Hughes' anti-love story. ("Sadistic sicko" or "admirer of tragi-love stories"? Please don't decide.)

So ends The Chronicles of Quasi-Adult Attention Deficit Disorder: A Fail Story. -_-

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 05-28-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #548
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
So, I have (reading) ADD. This is a list of books I am presently flip-flopping betwixt:

It's the prequel to 1984 in which a housewife seeks to overcome sexually-discriminatory societal norms and the preparation of certain kinds of carrot cake. Riveting story. Cried, cried for hours. It also has an Afterward concerning the relevancy and challenges of dyslexia to / in our post-modern world.
Sounds interesting, I'll have to pick that up.

Quote:
To Kill A Mocking Bird.
Quote:
...is an okay thing.
Love, love LOVE that book.
Quote:
The Poetry of Pablo Neruda.
Quote:
*Drools, just drools all over the place*
Pablo Neruda's okay. However I don't like poetry all that much so I'm not the best judge.

Quote:
The 100 Best Poems of All Time
Quote:
Among the worst and most tawdry collections of poetry I've ever come across. It includes "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." 'Nough said. It has enough of "the greats" to be barely tolerable, though.... I mainly keep it around because it has The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, Sylvia Plath, Emily Dickinson, *one* Shakespeare and a few others that are read-able. But mainly, Prufrock.
I would probably like that because you don't have to wade through crap poetry to get to the good ones, they're all just good.

Quote:
Together, my sister and I are reading The Chronicles of Narnia. We're almost done. Crazy, considering how slowly and long we've been working through it. Years.
Oh em gee I hate hate hate hate hate the Chronicles of Narnia. Once you finish I will tell you why. Or perhaps it will be obvious.

Quote:
Aaaaaaand, The Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes.
Should be arriving in the mail--snail mail--soon. Guilty pleasure, creeping on Plath and Hughes' anti-love story. ("Sadistic sicko" or "admirer of tragi-love stories"? Please don't decide.)

So ends The Chronicles of Quasi-Adult Attention Deficit Disorder: A Fail Story. -_-
Ted Hughes....tbh haven't read him. I probably should get right on that, seeing as how I'm an English grad student.

Also, the formatting on this post is fail. I've tried editing it so that the quote tags don't look so janky but apparently this is how the post would like to stay.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011   #549
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

ALAS, BABYLON

Been a few years since I read it.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #550
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
Sounds interesting, I'll have to pick that up.
*Sheepish grin*

It's quite ironic: Whenever I try to be ironic, I can never tell if others are being ironic in return. I seem to lack the ability to detect irony and to craft reasonably detectable irony...

...In short, that was sarcastic, right? o.O

Quote:
Love, love LOVE that book.
Me too. Well, as far as I've read, anyway, which isn't very far--but it's excelente so far. I enjoy imagining their little Southern accents.... <:D

Quote:
Pablo Neruda's okay. However I don't like poetry all that much so I'm not the best judge.
You don't like poetry? o.O

Quote:
I would probably like that because you don't have to wade through crap poetry to get to the good ones, they're all just good.
Yes... I sort of get that impression, too, sometimes: The most well-known poems are well-known for a reason. But at the same time, there are certain poets/poems I never would have known existed if it weren't for wading through many a(n obscure) poem--though I'm sure you've collectively read more than I. A lot more no doubt....

Quote:
Oh em gee I hate hate hate hate hate the Chronicles of Narnia. Once you finish I will tell you why. Or perhaps it will be obvious.
Really? *Sniff* I'm a "third-generation" Narnia-lover... though, somehow, I'm a bit foggy on the very end... so, please don't tell meh your "why" yet. ;)

Quote:
Ted Hughes....tbh haven't read him. I probably should get right on that, seeing as how I'm an English grad student.
...Really? o.O His stuff is okay, which is why I bought a whole book of his poems. Mainly, since all the poems in "The Birthday Letters" are about Plath and his relationship with Plath, I want an "inside look" into why he was such a jerk to her. Probably because he was a jerk. But it's nicer to read that in poem form. Like a sicko, I enjoy vicarious (poet) drama. Also, poets' biographies... and that book seems a poet biography in poems, which is sort of cool.

But you have heard *of* him, right? That would surprise me even more--than your not having read 'im.

Quote:
Also, the formatting on this post is fail. I've tried editing it so that the quote tags don't look so janky but apparently this is how the post would like to stay.
"Janky...."

*Quizzical squint*

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 05-29-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Multiple syntax fails.
Old 05-29-2011   #551
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Me too. Well, as far as I've read, anyway, which isn't very far--but it's excelente so far.
You better finish it or old Boo Radley is gonna get you.

Quote:
I enjoy imagining their little Southern accents.... <:D
Please.... please don't do that.
-=-=-=-
Old 05-30-2011   #552
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
You better finish it or old Boo Radley is gonna get you.
Oh no. Not again.

Quote:
Please.... please don't do that.
Why? "Jealous"? (Of their imagined accents, I mean. Or perhaps my ability and preference to imagine accents. Either one.)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 05-30-2011   #553
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Oh no. Not again.
That's how Boo Radley rolls. He gets you. Then he gets you again.

Quote:
Why? "Jealous"? (Of their imagined accents, I mean. Or perhaps my ability and preference to imagine accents. Either one.)
No, just that you have to do Southern-style accents. I hear these often enough, you might imagine. I am glad it's not too often. I mean, I could live in Alabama.
-=-=-=-
Old 06-05-2011   #554
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Contact - have seen the movie several times but never read the book until now, about 3/4 thru it.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011   #555
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
*Sheepish grin*

It's quite ironic: Whenever I try to be ironic, I can never tell if others are being ironic in return. I seem to lack the ability to detect irony and to craft reasonably detectable irony...

...In short, that was sarcastic, right? o.O
Yes. Shame on you for not noting my "tone."

Quote:
Me too. Well, as far as I've read, anyway, which isn't very far--but it's excelente so far. I enjoy imagining their little Southern accents.... <:D
I think that the novel has a wonderful way of making you *live* in those pages. It's a masterpiece.

Quote:
You don't like poetry? o.O
I have my poems and poets I like, even LOVE, but by-and-large when I'm sitting in a class and we're supposed to analyze poetry I'm just thinking 'CAN WE LEAVE NOW PLZ?' I hate having to read a poem like four times to try to get where the professor wants me to go. I want to be able to read a poem once and know what it's talking about. So, in short: Yes I do like poetry, but I do NOT like haivng to work to understand poems. In fact, I despise doing that. And on occasion when I've had to write entire papers on one poem, I just want to wring someone's neck. It's deadly, deadly dull...even when the poem is one I happen to like.

Quote:
Yes... I sort of get that impression, too, sometimes: The most well-known poems are well-known for a reason. But at the same time, there are certain poets/poems I never would have known existed if it weren't for wading through many a(n obscure) poem--though I'm sure you've collectively read more than I. A lot more no doubt....
I have read a lot of poetry, which probably contributes to why I'm so impatient about it . . .

Quote:
Really? *Sniff* I'm a "third-generation" Narnia-lover... though, somehow, I'm a bit foggy on the very end... so, please don't tell meh your "why" yet. ;)
Wasn't planning on it. If you wish to hear, let me know when you're done and either 1. you're curious... or 2. it will become obvious and/or you will guess easily.

Quote:
...Really? o.O His stuff is okay, which is why I bought a whole book of his poems. Mainly, since all the poems in "The Birthday Letters" are about Plath and his relationship with Plath, I want an "inside look" into why he was such a jerk to her. Probably because he was a jerk. But it's nicer to read that in poem form. Like a sicko, I enjoy vicarious (poet) drama. Also, poets' biographies... and that book seems a poet biography in poems, which is sort of cool.

But you have heard *of* him, right? That would surprise me even more--than your not having read 'im.
Yes, I've heard of him. And tbh I LOVE Syliva Plath's poetry, which is why I've stayed away from Ted Hughes'...'cause he was a huge jerk. Plus, as talked about above, I haven't heard much about him to know whether he's the type that likes to write poetry that you can't understand.

Quote:
"Janky...."

*Quizzical squint*
Here's a good urban dictionary definition for it:

Quote:
inferior quality; held in low social regard; old and delapidated; refers almost exclusively to inanimate material objects, not to people
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011   #556
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

currently reading brave new world for the 2nd time. also am reading the red queen and the science of good and evil.
last week i read Tiger, Tiger which just came out earlier this year.
i recently read intelligence in nature, some book about egypt, the picture of dorian gray, lord of the flies, and like a million others.
Old 12-30-2011   #557
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Originally Said by hai Jay View Post
currently reading brave new world for the 2nd time. also am reading the red queen and the science of good and evil.
last week i read Tiger, Tiger which just came out earlier this year.
i recently read intelligence in nature, some book about egypt, the picture of dorian gray, lord of the flies, and like a million others.
Oh, that's spooky. Quite delayed from when you wrote this, but I just finished reading Brave New World as well (for the first time).

It's a great, highly engaging story. All the Shakespeare references took me by surprise (in a good way), and Aldous Huxley's writing itself was beautiful, vivid, and believable (as that applies to the given world), perhaps too believable during its morbid passages. One of my favorite parts (spoiler alert!) was the theological/philosophical/existential debate betwixt the savage and Mustapha Mond--that was fascinating. And the ending was haunting to me. It was LIT-ER-AL-LY haunting.

I am currently reading:

To Kill A Mockingbird

..."for real" this time.

Although, I'm now sort of afraid to continue with this one, because someone at work told me the movie, quote, "scared her as a child." Now, I'm kind of afraid to continue... but I will. o.O

Either way, this description of the book still applies (quoted from our past tangent in this thread):

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic
I think that the novel has a wonderful way of making you *live* in those pages. It's a masterpiece.
= True.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Sweet_Miss_Etc.; 12-30-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Such severe OCD.