Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discussion related to technology, computers, and the internet.

Old 01-27-2011   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
AARGH!! Obsolete technology

When I had my old system, the soundcard (Creative Soundblaster) had something called a "game port" which is actually called a DA15 interface. I discovered that it was also used to feed MIDI data from external digital synths into the PC. I bought a DA15 to MIDI adapter at a local music store and that worked just fine to be able to play my Arturia virtual ARP 2600 synth with my real hardware synth.

Well, I just discovered that soundcard makers have stopped putting DA15 ports on their units which renders my 30 dollar MIDI adaptor useless. I'll have to drop anywhere between 39 and 60 bucks on a MIDI to USB adapter - probably closer to the 60 bucks. The cheaper ones have whats called high latency which means there is a noticeable delay between the moment I strike a key on the synth and when the ARP sounds that note.

DAMN obsolete technology!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #2
CrunchBite
explosions are half all the fun

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine
Re: AARGH!! Obsolete technology

Oh dear... those old D-Sub connectors are fairly out of fashion now. Is there no way the old SoundBlaster card could be salvaged from the old PC? Otherwise there's still a sound card or two on Newegg with D-15 "Game ports" for MIDI on them that are likely cheaper than your mentioned $60 USB dongle (and likely a lot less laggy than USB). Here's the list.

I personally have a Xonar D2X in my PC that came with a MIDI connector daughterboard and a breakout cable... then again I've got no use for it. (And I sure as hell did not pay that whopping $200 price point they have it at now)
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #3
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute

I'm considering just that. I don't know what all went wrong with my old system but I'm willing to at least try installing the SB Audigy card in the new system. I still have the driver CD and all the other software that came with it although I never used all the bells and whistles (sorry about that pun) that came with the drivers on the CD. The worse that will happen is I'll find that whatever pulled down the HDD and RAM on the old system also cooked the soundcard.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 01-27-2011   #4
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

Are those what you are looking for? Some are like $5.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011   #5
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Those are the devices, but I've read the cheapies have a bad latency issue... like I said in my orig post, some have as much as 1/2 to 3/4 second latency times which is totally unacceptable while playing live against pre-recorded tracks.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)