Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page > Back Page News

Back Page News Not quite front page material.

Old 02-03-2011   #1
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
"Snowpocalypse" Aftermath

To answer Christian's question...

Milwaukee was "in the 'bull's-eye'" of a historic storm that blanketed much of the United States overnight, according to the National Weather Service.

As the blizzard moved off to the east this morning, a massive cleanup effort has begun with tens of thousands of Wisconsinites taking to their driveways and sidewalks to do battle with snowdrifts that in some cases reached to ten feet.

At least one death is being blamed on the massive storm. A 66-year-old man collapsed after he finished shoveling in the 5200 block of N. 66th St., Milwaukee Police Chief Edward A. Flynn said.

As the skies cleared, the snow totals being reported to the National Weather service are looking historic.

Racine can claim the early lead with 23.5 inches, based on the calculations of the National Weather Service and an observer report. Other totals from Wednesday morning: 15 inches in Wauwatosa, 14.5 inches in Milwaukee, 13.5 in La Grange, 18 in West Allis and 11.5 in Beaver Dam.

Snowdrifts of up to 10 feet were reported in some parts of southeastern Wisconsin.

Hundreds of businesses and nearly all area schools closed in the wake of the historic blizzard as Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett declared an unofficial "weather holiday."

The blizzard warning was canceled for all Wisconsin as of 10:15 as the snow stopped. Plows have made some progress in clearing Milwaukee County freeways, but officials are still urging most people to stay off roads because of blowing snow and some lake-effect snow.

The rest: http://dev.www.jsonline.com/news/mil...115010864.html

And I know that other areas had even more snowpocalyptic experiences and sights, namely Chicago (slide show 1, slide show 2, article):

Pretty fun stuff. I heard some horror stories from coworkers, two of which got stranded on the road (one in a ditch, the other in a 4-foot snow drift in the middle of the road) and had to stay the night with strangers. Just crazy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow03-nws-kwg_5.jpg (95.7 KB, 48 views)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 02-03-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #2
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
Re: "Snowpocalypse" Aftermath

Well, as bad as that was for you all, I'm glad it wasn't as deadly as it could have been. Too bad about the one guy who did pass... but he kind of brought it on himself. I mean 66 years old? Shoveling snow? In subzero weather? Ahem..."Oh, young neighbor kids? I have $50 for whoever makes a path to my mailbox!" Also, I'm glad you didn't find yourself in the uncomfortable "stuck-overnight-in-blistering-cold-with-strangers" situation.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #3
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

We had 12 inches of snow, and we never get that much snow. A normal winter for us is a couple of ice or sleet incidences, maybe one snow event of an inch or so. This wasn't as bad as our blizzard of 2009 though, mainly because people stayed home this time. Last time no one believed it was going to happen, so there were hundreds and hundreds of stranded cars and people.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #4
CrunchBite
explosions are half all the fun

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine

All we got here in State College PA was lots and lots of freezing rain. About .5 inches thick of sheet ice on any flat unsalted surface. Quite deadly around here as most people are students who've never seen this weather before and don't know about black ice when driving.

Last edited by ablethevoice; 02-04-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: apostrophe not needed
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #5
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by ablethevoice View Post
Well, as bad as that was for you all, I'm glad it wasn't as deadly as it could have been. Too bad about the one guy who did pass... but he kind of brought it on himself. I mean 66 years old? Shoveling snow? In subzero weather? Ahem..."Oh, young neighbor kids? I have $50 for whoever makes a path to my mailbox!" Also, I'm glad you didn't find yourself in the uncomfortable "stuck-overnight-in-blistering-cold-with-strangers" situation.
Yes, it could have definitely been much worse. Still, indeed, too often deaths or accidents could have been avoided--even just by having so much past experience, a little more caution and common sense (especially for people who live in states like Wisconsin). I mean, these conditions were pretty freakin' extreme, though, so even a "seasoned snow dweller" has an excuse. But for those who are not accustomed to it at all, yeah, the wholly confused, somewhat delirious responses are even more understandable. Still, if people could quell the road rage and amp up "the smart" for a special occasion as a nationwide blizzard, it wouldn't hurt.

Heh, exactly; brazen, elderly fellow. Sad...but...yes, he should have known better. <:(

And thank you. I felt *so bad* for the girl who did, though; it was "white out" conditions, and she ended up driving off the road into a ditch. She didn't have a cell phone, so she ended up having to walk a quarter mile on foot in the midst of the blizzard (awful), until she reached the closest house, and they just happened to be home, to be sane (read: not a serial killer, as a fair portion of the residents of this town quite literally are), and to be kind enough to offer her a place to stay. Anyone who has been outside during blizzard conditions (40 MPH winds, skin-stabbingly frigid temperatures, snow blasting into your face, mostly blind from the former things; she described the sensation well, "like having icicles pelting full force into your face"). Her dad also ended up in almost the same situation when he came to rescue her, getting stuck in a 4-foot snow drift in the middle of the road, and having to stay the night with another thankfully charitable stranger.

And that's just one of many stories, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
We had 12 inches of snow, and we never get that much snow. A normal winter for us is a couple of ice or sleet incidences, maybe one snow event of an inch or so. This wasn't as bad as our blizzard of 2009 though, mainly because people stayed home this time. Last time no one believed it was going to happen, so there were hundreds and hundreds of stranded cars and people.
Yeah, I saw that! That's crazy. When you think snow, you don't really think Oklahoma (though "Snowklahoma" has a nice ring to it...). I think that says something about the beastly girth and fury of this storm. That must have been interesting.

Quote:
Originally Said by CrunchBite View Post
All we got here in State College PA was lots and lots of freezing rain. About .5 inches thick of sheet ice on any flat unsalted surface. Quite deadly around here as most people are student's who've never seen this weather before and don't know about black ice when driving.
I'm sorry, what? Did you say something about 23 inches of snow? Yeah. That's what I thought.

Only kidding, 'course. ;) Yes, that can be even worse: People in states not accustomed to such conditions--even when they're less "extreme" conditions--not knowing how to adapt their driving; and you can't really blame them a'tall.

Prototypical snowpocalypse scene (crazy):

Uh, yeah:

*Sniff*:

*Death by copious cuteness*:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowpocalypse.jpg (20.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg snowpocalypse2.jpg (36.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg snowpocalypse_metalbean.jpg (22.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg snowpocalypse_ohnojpg.jpg (24.6 KB, 37 views)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 02-04-2011   #6
CrunchBite
explosions are half all the fun

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine

That car in the ditch... I've had so many close calls where that could have been me. You're just minding your own business on the highway when you correct your course for a corner and nothing happens. Usually I'm thinking "Crap, I'm going to run out of road pretty soon." Thankfully every time I've caught the road again at the last moment.

I can't wait for my annual 18 inch snow dumping as I return to Ohio during spring break. Protip: even an Accord can become a winter vehicle with some good snow tires.

I wish I got real snow here in PA, not this 2 inch everyone panic crap.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #7
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by CrunchBite View Post
I wish I got real snow here in PA, not this 2 inch everyone panic crap.
That's how it is here. We get a little snow or ice and everyone freaks out. There are two types of drivers in Oklahoma winter weather, both exhibited in my drive to school today. I was briefly behind one lady going 10 mph on a plowed street that was completely clear (not even wet). Another dude went by me going like 40 mph in a 30 mile zone that hadn't been plowed so it had a good 6 inches of hard packed snow/ice, and he started fishtailing and spun out...and sat there for a minute acting all surprised.

Edited to add: then there are the real idiots. On Tuesday morning, when it was still snowing like crazy, my dad was taking my mom to work in his four wheel drive pickup, and he stopped and helped this guy that was stuck along the way. He was 70 years old, driving an older model Honda (no snow tires, and one of those low riders) he was not wearing a coat, and he was beating at the snow around his tires with a tennis racket. How unprepared can you be to go out like that? Really?
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011   #8
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

The highway pile ups are what scare me. One year while traveling through Denver, it began to snow and trucks and jeeps thinking they could just plow through it all, were mostly finding themselves in the ditch. I did find it funny tho when dad got out to scape the windshield, just as he finished and was about to come back inside the van, a snowplow went by and covered us completely, he was pissed and I tried not to laugh. First year I lived in Fort Collins we ended up with snow so high we could not walk out to the barn to feed the animals, ended up having to crawl on our stomachs while pushing bales of hay out to them. It also caught tourists in June by surprise one year when many of them were hiking in the local foothills. Cold weather it nothing to play around with.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #9
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

Wow, 23 inches.. that's amazing. How was the Blizzard? Blizzards are very rare in Germany, we had a first one in over 30 years in 2010 and this one wasn't quite comparable with what you guys tend to get.

Did you manage to take a few photos on your own? The ones you posted are cool: I love the Chicago bean and ..bawww.. the last one.. so adorable. Were you lucky enough to have a few days off too?
Old 02-08-2011   #10
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
Wow, 23 inches.. that's amazing. How was the Blizzard? Blizzards are very rare in Germany, we had a first one in over 30 years in 2010 and this one wasn't quite comparable with what you guys tend to get.

Did you manage to take a few photos on your own? The ones you posted are cool: I love the Chicago bean and ..bawww.. the last one.. so adorable. Were you lucky enough to have a few days off too?
Yes, 'twas. I was already scheduled off the day the worst of it was happening, but others were not so lucky, as my coworkers' anecdotes, and the articles, well attest. o.o

I did take some photos of the "aftermath," the sunlit drifts and such, not really venturing beyond the backyard (seeing as there was at least 3 feet of snow outside [counting the hearty layer already accumulated from the previous snowings--not even counting the drifts]; I could not be bothered to traverse further, like a lazy, warmth-liking person). None of my photos are quite so impressive and dazzling as those Chic-a-go-an shots. Quite extraordinary! [/Mrs. Bennet]

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 02-11-2011   #11
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Yes, 'twas. I was already scheduled off the day the worst of it was happening, but others were not so lucky, as my coworkers' anecdotes, and the articles, well attest. o.o

I did take some photos of the "aftermath," the sunlit drifts and such, not really venturing beyond the backyard (seeing as there was at least 3 feet of snow outside [counting the hearty layer already accumulated from the previous snowings--not even counting the drifts]; I could not be bothered to traverse further, like a lazy, warmth-liking person). None of my photos are quite so impressive and dazzling as those Chic-a-go-an shots. Quite extraordinary! [/Mrs. Bennet]
Wow! Three feet, that's crazy. I've only seen so much snow one time, and that was last winter after a Blizzard (a tiny one compared to yours) on Rugia, next to a parking lot.

Will you show some of them? :D
Old 02-14-2011   #12
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post

And thank you. I felt *so bad* for the girl who did, though; it was "white out" conditions, and she ended up driving off the road into a ditch. She didn't have a cell phone, so she ended up having to walk a quarter mile on foot in the midst of the blizzard (awful), until she reached the closest house, and they just happened to be home, to be sane (read: not a serial killer, as a fair portion of the residents of this town quite literally are), and to be kind enough to offer her a place to stay. Anyone who has been outside during blizzard conditions (40 MPH winds, skin-stabbingly frigid temperatures, snow blasting into your face, mostly blind from the former things; she described the sensation well, "like having icicles pelting full force into your face"). Her dad also ended up in almost the same situation when he came to rescue her, getting stuck in a 4-foot snow drift in the middle of the road, and having to stay the night with another thankfully charitable stranger.
That is such an insane, but incredible situation! I'm so thankful she was able to find a place to stay, and was not forced to spend her night in the car...or out in the cold...winter conditions can be so frightening, especially if you are caught out in the midst whilst driving. A year ago today, a good friend was caught in white-out conditions while driving back to school...and she did not make it. A semi hit her car as she was pulled over on the side of the interstate. I can't believe it's been a year. I hate winter and snow for that very reason.

I don't think I could fathom 23 inches of snow! I'm sure we've had close to that before, but so far we've been really, really lucky this year. We've had snow, but nothing like last year, or what the rest of the U.S. has been receiving. Last week, though, the temperatures were horrendous. Lots of negatives numbers before windchill...brrr....it was 66F, though, yesterday That's an almost 80 degree jump from last Wednesday! I just can't figure out what this weather is up to these days...*shifty eyes* Who knows what today will bring! *waits patiently...hopes for another miraculous spring day in the midst of winter*