Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 03-05-2010   #1
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Honesty

I just read following:

Quote:
Construction worker finds €100,000 hidden under old bathtub

A young construction worker in Munich has discovered €100,000 underneath a bathtub while renovating an apartment, police reported on Tuesday.

Kai Struve, 23, was tearing out old bathroom fixtures in the Moosach district flat when he found the sack of cash in the tub casing.

“The honest young man let police know directly,” the authorities said in a statement.

Police investigation found that the large sum belonged to the apartment’s former tenant, an 88-year-old who now lives in a retirement home.

“Apparently the pensioner forgot the bunch of money in his apartment due to his dementia,” the statement continued.

The sum is currently at the Bavarian city’s guardianship court, meanwhile Druve will receive a €3,000 reward.

German law dictates that those who return found items worth more than €500 are entitled to €25 plus three percent of the item’s additional worth.

[TheLocal]
3.000€ reward for a 100.000€ (135.000$) found.. that got me thinking

If you found that much money somewhere and you would have a chance to go away with it unseen, would you be honest like that and give your found to the authority? Would you?

I'm not sure about myself. Its not my money, and the one who lost it might need it and surely wants it back (if he remembers at it).. but 100.000€.. I don't know..

What about you?
I think being honest and giving it back would be the best way, still.. but..
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #2
David-
Double Plus Good

David- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honesty

If you found that much money, not worth the risk to keep it. It could have been left there for drugs or somethin
David- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #3
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

exactly...its the way I see it, forget the obvious here that a elderly person forgot it due to illness....something of that amount most likely would turn out to be shady cash...its just not worth the risk of having something happen.

Though the otherside of things..if it is dodgy money from drugs or something..its risky going to the police, as thats a risk in itself that something could come back on you..

Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #4
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

Sir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond repute

I would turn it in...maybe some weird twist of fortune would bring it back to me.
With your hands, hold the rain.

I want everyone to remember how precious life is...I didn't think too much about the future until I created it for myself...now I'm a bit more mature and have a beautiful daughter. Don't cheat yourself of a full life, surrounded by the people, things, and memories that you cherish.
Sir Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #5
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

actually auric your correct..I know least in this country if you hand something in and its not collected I think within six months it then becomes yours.

Old 03-05-2010   #6
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I would turn it in; hands down. I've found money/wallets before and (to ~ten year old me) the money therein was a fortune. It always went directly to authorities.

I couldn't be happy with any other decision; guilt is annoying.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010   #7
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

oh I'd hand in small money everytime yea like wallets an such..not the odd coin you find on the ground..nah I keep that.

Old 03-08-2010   #8
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

i found a $50 dollar bill lying on the ground. People were stepping over it. I snatched it off the ground, looked around, didn't see anyone in a panic about losing anything, so I kept it and bought my concert ticket with it :)

If I found a great big bag full of money, I'd keep it. I'd ask if anyone "lost anything." But that's it. You have to describe it in full detail.

FINDERS KEEPERS

now wallets with cash inside are different. Especially because there's usually an ID and I know who's wallet it is. I'd feel bad then for taking "their" money. But the bag of money has no ID and no personal claim except to the one who found it :D

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #9
Jabedin
Aladdin's brother

Jabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond repute

If I found 135k dollars I would go straight to vegas and kill myself with pleasure and gambling

I hope I don't have to suffer such a fate

Oh and fuck the old broad who didn't put her money in a bank

In your heart, pumping your blood
Jabedin is offline   Reply With Quote