Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

View Poll Results: Is Interracial Dating Wrong?
Yes 2 10.00%
No 18 90.00%
Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2010   #21
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth
Re: Are Interracial Relationships Wrong?

Or if he objectifies women.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #22
Penie
i love kali more than carrots

Penie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Penie

i think you have an 'unquestioning reverence, or devotion' to being a numskull.
Old 03-03-2010   #23
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Quote:
Originally Said by Penie View Post
i think you have an 'unquestioning reverence, or devotion' to being a numskull.
Thanks. I try.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #24
Penie

Penie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond reputePenie has a reputation beyond repute

i meant physco diablo.
Old 03-03-2010   #25
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

so, what's it take to change these negative ways of thinking about interracial dating? in my family, for example, it's "wrong" just as homosexuality is wrong, supposedly because it's in the Bible...but people don't take into consideration the sins they commit, or the fact that not everyone is bound by the same beliefs.

anyways, i just wonder how people who don't or can't leave places with high instances of racism function in these relationships, or at least manage to cope and shrug off comments, especially or most importantly, when they come from family members.
Old 03-03-2010   #26
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

It would depend on the individuals, I would suppose. Some are more attached to their family's opinions than others.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #27
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Princess Jasmine View Post
so, what's it take to change these negative ways of thinking about interracial dating? in my family, for example, it's "wrong" just as homosexuality is wrong, supposedly because it's in the Bible...but people don't take into consideration the sins they commit, or the fact that not everyone is bound by the same beliefs.

anyways, i just wonder how people who don't or can't leave places with high instances of racism function in these relationships, or at least manage to cope and shrug off comments, especially or most importantly, when they come from family members.
Homosexuality and race are two completely different things. The fact is, in a democracy, if enough people find a certain behavior (not orientation or belief) disagreeable, they can pass laws against that behavior.
And behavior is the key word. Generally speaking, we cannot discriminate on the basis of natural characteristics as race, gender, or age. Generally speaking, we cannot discriminate on the basis of belief or speech.
We cannot violate fundamental rights like freedom of speech, religious belief, or political belief.
But behavior, that is deemed unpleasant, repugnant, degraded behavior, can be rightly illegalized.
Gays and lesbians love to compare their status with the status of racial minorities like black people.
This comparison is absurd. Many blacks and other racial minority members are understandably offended when they are compared to people who voluntarily engage in sexually aberrant activity.
I don't (and people shouldn't) discredit a religious stance behind an argument as long as it's rational. Unfortunately, most people who use religion to argue against such things go a little to way overboard.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #28
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

people have shoe fetishes.

my shoes just happen to be black women.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010   #29
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Funk*Sonic*7 View Post
Homosexuality and race are two completely different things. The fact is, in a democracy, if enough people find a certain behavior (not orientation or belief) disagreeable, they can pass laws against that behavior.
And behavior is the key word. Generally speaking, we cannot discriminate on the basis of natural characteristics as race, gender, or age. Generally speaking, we cannot discriminate on the basis of belief or speech.
We cannot violate fundamental rights like freedom of speech, religious belief, or political belief.
But behavior, that is deemed unpleasant, repugnant, degraded behavior, can be rightly illegalized.
Gays and lesbians love to compare their status with the status of racial minorities like black people.
This comparison is absurd. Many blacks and other racial minority members are understandably offended when they are compared to people who voluntarily engage in sexually aberrant activity.
I don't (and people shouldn't) discredit a religious stance behind an argument as long as it's rational. Unfortunately, most people who use religion to argue against such things go a little to way overboard.
actually I'll give you that..your right when you say that the gay community do think of themselves at times alongside racial minorities..

while yes with some its voluntary that they chose that lifestyle, and others its genetic (though im not getting into that kinda debate now)...it isn't on the same page or close to being a certain skin colour.

the two are seperate...as well as seperate systems for discrimination..I hate to say it but we still have racists over here...an im constantly holding my tongue to not spark off at them..hell my ex wife was the same..really pissed me off at times when she would say something..not overtly racist, but still with a tinge of it.

anyway in closing..there isnt anything wrong with interacial couples...no more than there is with gay couples an no more than there is with heavily tattooed/modified people being a part of society an not cast away like a piece of shit...sorry had to say it..just lil tired from people saying shit to me recently on both the fact of my modifications and my sexuality.

Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #30
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth View Post
Common stereotypes of the Bible Belt are true in some areas but untrue in many others. Just like assuming gangsters are only black. Its a basic problem with stereotypes, like this one that you made. Placing the apologetic "pretty much" does not mitigate the fallacy in the remainder of the statement, e.g., "Gangsters are pretty much only black."
Exactly, exactly.

(Hey, if Michael Jackson can be brought into this, so can Vanilla Ice. He's didactic, too.)

Blithe inappropriateness aside, generalizations may have merit to a point--may even frequently be "correct" (as in, applicable even to a high number of people in the same situation, of the same outward composition, in the same location)--but, really, what is the use of such statements? What is the use in assuming one thing is true of everyone just because they share some superficial trait or position? That does seem as bad as--well, definitely as illogical as--racism. Not that saying "all elderly men in Georgia wear lime green socks" equates with racism, but it certainly would be illogical and unfair to say--even if 75% of the elderly men in Georgia wore lime green socks. What would be the point? It seems it would be unfair to--or at least would overlook--all the elderly men in Georgia who chose a less acrid-colored foot covering.

(To use the most bizarre analogy conceivable.)

Is it okay that, just because a sweeping statement comes closer to being true (is generally accurate), that those who defy that generalization should suffer the negative connotations or effects of it? How is that any fairer than racism?

(So, basically, just rephrasing in a less concise and sane fashion what you said, Yugo--and agreeing.)

Quote:
Originally Said by Princess Jasmine

Someone said that the Bible encourages racism? Or were you just comparing homophobia to racism?

I would say, it is important to stick by what you believe; to set an example, as hard as that must be. If some take what they believe and (mis)apply it in such a way, there is not much you can rightly do about that, sadly. All you can do is rely on each other (in an instance of persecution towards an interracial relationship) and set an example for those who mistreat you by not reacting with the same hatred, the same destructive behavior. Not that that's easy, because that contempt is beyond what a person should be asked to endure; but I would say it is important, important to not return the scorn to those people, but to behave well, despite the hatred. So, in short, love people despite their behavior. By God, that is what we should be doing.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 03-04-2010 at 05:58 AM. Reason: euphemisms help placate the masses.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #31
Penie

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
people have shoe fetishes.

my shoes just happen to be black women.
you are a moron. inside your skull must just be a spinning vortex of non-sense, sucking in and destroying any logic that floats in through your ears. if you were to have your skull broken open, the whole world would be sucked into that black hole of retardation.
Old 03-04-2010   #32
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

Sir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
you are a moron. inside your skull must just be a spinning vortex of non-sense, sucking in and destroying any logic that floats in through your ears. if you were to have your skull broken open, the whole world would be sucked into that black hole of retardation.
I don't know; I thought Matt made a noteworthy and borderline genius statement. Yay for metaphors!
With your hands, hold the rain.

I want everyone to remember how precious life is...I didn't think too much about the future until I created it for myself...now I'm a bit more mature and have a beautiful daughter. Don't cheat yourself of a full life, surrounded by the people, things, and memories that you cherish.
Sir Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #33
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

for the people who voted or think that interracial dating is wrong, i'm just curious...why?

Quote:
Originally Said by Funk*Sonic*7 View Post
funk, please. i'm not even going to read all this, but i skimmed it and will say this: interracial marriage used to be illegal same as homosexual marriage is today. so yea, i'd say it is fair to compare.

also to crazyface and funk:

gays and lesbians compare themselves as minorities to other minorities as a way to make their sexuality seem natural, as is skin color, not being a "choice"...eh it's like a tactic for anti-discrimination for the legalization of marriage and other things. so they want to be seen as a minority group to keep from being discriminated in the same ways other minority groups are protected. ...trying to make it more socially acceptable.

to zana: yes, the excuse that it's in the bible HAS been used, and no, i'm not just making the comparison to homosexuality.
Old 03-04-2010   #34
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

Sir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond repute

My reason is blatant; all human beings, in their infinite wisdom, still never manage to shake off their mantle of ignorance.

I want everyone to remember how precious life is...I didn't think too much about the future until I created it for myself...now I'm a bit more mature and have a beautiful daughter. Don't cheat yourself of a full life, surrounded by the people, things, and memories that you cherish.
Old 03-04-2010   #35
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

Quote:
Originally Said by Sir Auric View Post
My reason is blatant; all human beings, in their infinite wisdom, still never manage to shake off their mantle of ignorance.
you voted no? what do you mean..
Old 03-04-2010   #36
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

I mean that it is ignorant to believe that loving a human being of a race that is different is wrong. All religious beliefs aside, we are all part of a single global population, therefore bound to a singular humanity.

Old 03-04-2010   #37
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
also to crazyface and funk:

gays and lesbians compare themselves as minorities to other minorities as a way to make their sexuality seem natural, as is skin color, not being a "choice"...eh it's like a tactic for anti-discrimination for the legalization of marriage and other things. so they want to be seen as a minority group to keep from being discriminated in the same ways other minority groups are protected. ...trying to make it more socially acceptable.

to zana: yes, the excuse that it's in the bible HAS been used, and no, i'm not just making the comparison to homosexuality.
hey I wasnt saying they do or dont...im just saying that skin colour an sexuality are two different ballparks so to speak...unless thats what your saying..sorry im so tired right now..

Actually I know what you mean bout acceptance...I know some people who are really not comfortable with my bisexuality....and no don't think that as the trend the emo generation has picked "oh im bi but never would do anything etc etc" bullshit they always say...god they piss me off...lol

Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #38
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

Quote:
Somehow you leaked out my ear....how did you get out!

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010   #39
Penie

Quote:
funk, please. i'm not even going to read all this, but i skimmed it and will say this: interracial marriage used to be illegal same as homosexual marriage is today. so yea, i'd say it is fair to compare.
why the fuck bother to debate if you arent going to read? why the fuck quote something and then say 'i didnt read this, but here is my opinion'.

Quote:
Originally Said by Funk*Sonic*7
bla bla bla
i might be misreading this, but are you suggesting that gay people choose to be gay? that somehow sexuality is a choice? fucking nonsense - could you go gay? no? then its not a choice, otherwise you could choose.

but ignore that, thats not even that important: - the main point is this; you arent gay. how on earth can you pass judgement on people who are? claim to know what they feel? fucking idiot.

if ive read you correctly, then you and jasmine are two idiots who insist on having an opinion on everything even if that opinion is badly thought out, illogical and ignores facts and rationality. you are the problem with democracy and mass media - cretins who want their shitty opinions on subjects they barely understand to be heard. shut. the. fuck. up.

and:
Quote:
aside from your pathetic display of homophobia here, the comparrison people make isnt between being homosexual and being a racial minority, but between the struggles in acceptance that people of these groups have had to go through to be treated as individuals separate from the characteristics that others choose to define them by.

you appear to be a hateful prick, but more worryingly still not a complete retard - fuckin open your eyes and use your head, otherwise those potential smarts are gonna dwindle into a distant memory in the head of an angry, hateful shit.

Quote:
Somehow you leaked out my ear....how did you get out!
zing.
Old 03-04-2010   #40
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

penie, the parts i skimmed were funk's blabbing about homosexuality, which i've heard over and over. the part i did respond to was relevant, and similar to how you responded. it's funny you DID read what i said, then misquoted me.

but continue bashing, because that's totally the way to debate.