Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 11-20-2005   #1
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute
People mag's outstanding single father killed

I remember reading this article about this kid and his daughter.....how sad!

18-year-old had custody of 2-year-old daughter

PHILADELPHIA, Pennsylvania (AP) -- An 18-year-old man who was honored in August by People magazine as an outstanding father was gunned down on his way home from work Thursday.

Terrell Pough, a single parent who worked to support his 2-year-old daughter while finishing school, was shot in the head in front of his home, police said. He later died at a hospital.

Pough, the night manager at a fast-food restaurant, was not robbed and has no record of violence, police said.

However, his family said his new car and its key were missing. The Honda Civic was given to him by someone who had read the People article.

The magazine, which like CNN.com is owned by Time Warner, called Pough "a rare breed of teenaged dads who are trying to raise children."

Pough attended the YouthBuild Charter School in North Philadelphia, where he was learning construction skills by rebuilding abandoned houses. He was set to graduate in June.

Pough stood out in his neighborhood as a single father with custody of his daughter, Diamond. He was quoted in People as saying: "If something ever happens to me, no one can ever tell her that her dad didn't take care of her."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/19/you....ap/index.html
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #2
Grunt
Aye, very good

Grunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: People mag's outstanding single father killed

wow, thats heart stoppingly harsh!

do you think it could have been done out of jealousy?

Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #3
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

The jealousy thing was my very first thought as I read the article.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #4
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

it's what happens when people know you.

how sad. what was the point?

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #5
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Thats horrible... a man that worked so hard for his child to die for no reason.

On a seperate train, why would People honor an 18 YO man for having a kid at 16?! Why should he be put on a pedestal when he did what he should be doing? If you have a kid, you should take care of it. I would suggest giving the award to a single father of 5 or so kids who works multiple jobs, not some kid who had a child at the age of 16... fuck.

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #6
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55

well then that voids every dad from getting any kind of award for that, cause they're just doing what they're suppose to, doesn't it?

you have to give him credit that he did what most dads his age wouldn't. it was pretty mature of him to make a sacrafice like that for his daughter and accept the consequences of his actions.

RubberDucky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #7
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Quote:
Originally Said by RubberDucky55
well then that voids every dad from getting any kind of award for that, cause they're just doing what they're suppose to, doesn't it?

you have to give him credit that he did what most dads his age wouldn't. it was pretty mature of him to make a sacrafice like that for his daughter and accept the consequences of his actions.
Every father should earn an award, but an 18YO with one child i feel deserves an award less than a middle aged father with 5 or so kids.

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005   #8
WhiteRiderSN

WhiteRiderSN has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteRiderSN has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteRiderSN has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRiderSN

I see what you're saying about the 5 kids thing, but one could easily make the argument that although a 16 year old shouldn't be having kids, a middle aged man can't possibly have enough time for his 5 kids and two jobs, so he is more at fault for having more children than he can provide for... Accidentally having a child is a mistake, having way too many kids I find to be rediculous cause it's obvious after the first kid what happens when you stick "that" in "there" and should take the proper precautions. I will say hopefully there is a day when no father is honored for doing his job because society accepts it as the norm, not the exception.