Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 08-24-2004   #1
ALD girl

ALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to ALD girl Send a message via MSN to ALD girl Send a message via Skype™ to ALD girl
The Legacy of the late Karen Silkwood was she all she was cracked up to be?

Most of you, if not all of you, are too young to remember a series of events that took place in late 1974. For those of you who don't, let me start by giving you a little bit of background information. karen Silkwood was an employee at the now closed Kerr McGee plutonium plant, which was located outside of Oklahoma City. She believed that thehealth and safety of her fellow workers was threatend, and that something had to be done. She was also concerned about conditions at the plant, mainly the tampering of plutonium fuel rods.

when I was in 11 grade, I did my graduation project on Karen. there was just something about her story that attracted me to it. maybe it was because she died for her rights, like a martyr. iAs I went further and further into the research, I learned that Karen was nothing more then a pill popper, who liked sex. should her reputation be tarnished based on these faults of hers? i think not, Karen did a great thing, and it is as we near the 30th anniversary of her untimely death, that I ask you should Karens legacy be any different?
Old 08-24-2004   #2
ImpossibleDreamer
Experienced Member

ImpossibleDreamer is just really niceImpossibleDreamer is just really nice
Just last week, the Karen Silkwood story came up in conversation. A relative recommended Kerr McGee as a good energy stock and I brought up Karen Silkwood and her fight against the company's corrupt practices. There was a movie starring Meryl Streep about Karen. The movie showed her flaws, but her bravery too. There are still questions about how she died. Murder? Car accident? Like Norma Rae (also a movie - about a flawed factory worker's fight for union rights), The Wilmer 8 - female bank employees who stood outside a Minnesota bank in freezing cold temperatures for months to fight descrimination and unfair labor practices, and the ordinary housewife who exposed the Love Canal (New York) dumping practices of a company that caused sickness and death throughout a community, ordinary people have stood against the powerful to expose injustice and fight for what is right. In doing so, they were criticized by friends and family and powerful interests tried to stop them. In this election year, I ask you to stand up against this powerful White House Admnistration, wrapped in the flag, who destroys all critics and is in the process of destroying our Constitution too. Our credibility has been undermined around the world. Our friends have walked away from us. Our enemies have used the illegal invasion of Iraq and our unfair policies regarding Israel and the Palestinians as a recruitment tool. Our strongest weapon was not our military. It was our Bill of Rights. And that has been weakened. It is an irony that those who invoke the name of God the most often, do not live by the moral code that God asks of us. Those who call themselves "Christian", have violated every gospel sermon of Jesus. Turn out these pretenders to Christianity and restore U.S. policy to one of moral leadership and respect for human rights.
ImpossibleDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #3
ALD girl

ALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to beholdALD girl is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to ALD girl Send a message via MSN to ALD girl Send a message via Skype™ to ALD girl
Re: The Legacy of the late Karen Silkwood was she all she was cracked up to be?

yes, i have seen silkwood, I'm proud to say, that I will not be voting for the son of a bitch who is currently in the whitehouse. Its because of people like him, that Karen Silkwood and many others have died. I happen to be one of the people who think she was murdered. I base this on the fact that her deliberate contamination began late in October, and that someone in the company knew wwhat she was up to. The movie does show her faults, and if your interested, I encourrage you to pick up a copy of the book The Killing Of Karen Silkwood, thestory behind the Kerr McGee plutonium case. By Richard Rashke.
Old 08-24-2004   #4
Dammmmn

1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute

what the fuck? who cares.
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004   #5
ALD girl

Its clear you don't care, i'm not expecting you to care, just show some respect for the people who do. i'm not perfect, karen wasn't perfect.all i'm trying to do, is to find out what eople think about Karen and what she did based on her personal life and the choices she made.
Old 02-21-2016   #6
ALD girl

It's hard to say now, almost 42 years after the tragic events that caused Karen Silkwood's unfortunate accident, just what she was. Perhaps, that is the beauty of her story, the aspect of not knowing what happened, and who did it?
Old 03-03-2016   #7
Dammmmn

1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh hay there. 11.5 years later, still no fucks given.
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016   #8
Blood Red
Bleed to the red

Blood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by 1337 View Post
Oh hay there. 11.5 years later, still no fucks given.
LOL
Old 05-17-2016   #9
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

I give one fuck about Karen Silkwood. I'm pretty sure she's the chick that Froddo gets down with in The Hobbit books.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016   #10
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
I give one fuck about Karen Silkwood. I'm pretty sure she's the chick that Froddo gets down with in The Hobbit books.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! There is so much beautiful in this statement, layers of truth and untruth. Oh, my heart...

She was something between that and Erin Brockovich. o.O

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #11
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, on a similar note, I remember something going around about Bill Crosby and people calling for his statue to be removed at Disney World. Does someone's wrong/horrible actions negate their positive contributions to the world so much so that we have to remove all reminders of them?

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #12
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

Quote:
Originally Said by Pittielynn View Post
Heh, on a similar note, I remember something going around about Bill Crosby and people calling for his statue to be removed at Disney World. Does someone's wrong/horrible actions negate their positive contributions to the world so much so that we have to remove all reminders of them?
I dont, because I don't give a crap.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote