Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discussion related to technology, computers, and the internet.

Old 07-17-2009   #1
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Rosetta Stone

So I got Levels 1 and 2 in 27 different languages of Rosetta Stone.

I really like the way the product works; I found myself quickly picking up on Welsh despite having no prior knowledge of the language.

Of course, I think I'll first try to learn languages that would be of more use than Welsh, though I must say that I am particularly drawn to the Latin and, albeit modern, Greek courses.

More as the story develops. =P
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #2
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine
Re: Rosetta Stone

where did you get that? was it free? I would like to have a free copy of Rosetta stone. Also what languages?
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #3
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I'll tell you later when I come over. I can't get you a copy yet though.

I'm a quarter way through Level 1 of Latin. I found out I only have Latin Level 1 so I'll be done after 6 more unit lessons.

I know colors, dates, health states, months, time, hair descriptions, as well as limited amounts of animals, professions, actions, adjectives, etc.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 07-18-2009   #4
Grunt
Aye, very good

Grunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond repute

Got it to learn Polish. only Lvl 1 available so far....from the sources. :D
most amazing program ever

Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009   #5
EmperorChaos

It is good isn't it? I recall an awful lot of Latin for one day of learning it. After spending about four hours yesterday learning the language, I was finding myself describing the seating situation (as I hung out with friends last night) in Latin. Just out of nowhere too. I didn't think about it in English first and then translate it, I was actually thinking in Latin! At least in that one situation.
-=-=-=-
Old 07-18-2009   #6
Grunt
Aye, very good

Grunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond repute

nah you're just crazy mate :P

Old 07-18-2009   #7
EmperorChaos

Well, that's a given. Still, I've always had a certain propensity towards language and the learning of it. I only took two years of Spanish in high school ten years ago and can recall more than people I know who have Spanish minors from college and stayed for a semester in Chile. I just remember. But then thinking "Two females sit beside two males" in Latin last night is kinda crazy.
-=-=-=-
Old 07-19-2009   #8
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Ive always been curious how well the program works. The commercials obviously claim it is the greatest, but its a commercial ffs.

Any idea of how one could come across a full version of Spanish, if they wanted to avoid paying? Purely hypothetical of course.

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #9
EmperorChaos

Yeah, I'll get back to you on that. I'll either fine one that is just Spanish, or somehow rip the portion that is just Spanish to a small file that people can install. Since coming across the software (and trying it), I've had many people interested in obtaining Spanish-language versions. That must say something about the current state of our country. hahaha.
-=-=-=-
Old 07-19-2009   #10
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Try the Italian one and let me know how it is some time. I've taken about 6 years of Latin now, and just as a bit of advice, it's pretty worthless. That's why I've decided to try out Italian, since it's so close.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009   #11
Grunt
Aye, very good

I got Italian for my brother. Level 1,2 and 3.
All for Rosetta stone version3

Old 07-19-2009   #12
EmperorChaos

Oh, don't worry, I understand there is little worth or use to learning Latin, however, I do listen to a lot of classical music that contains choruses in Latin and that's been helpful. I wanted to do the Latin level 1 first because all the Romance Languages are close to Latin and I plan on going through them all. If you are a fan of multiple intelligences theory, then my strongest intelligence is verbal-linguistic.
-=-=-=-
Old 07-26-2009   #13
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jason, I'm also interested in learning Spanish.
How much does the Rosetta Stone cost?
Is there a way to get the full Spanish version for free, or at least for next to nothing?
Amazon.com is selling that Spanish levels 1-5 for $630, which I definitely don't want to spend that kind of money for a while.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by Funk*Sonic*7; 07-26-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #14
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

If we're putting orders in: Italian please.

I'm rather annoyed that the DS 'Coach' games have French and Spanish, Chinese and Japanese and goodness knows what else - but not Italian.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #15
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

sound like you need to ask.... drogdar that question

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009   #16
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
Yeah, I'll get back to you on that. I'll either fine one that is just Spanish, or somehow rip the portion that is just Spanish to a small file that people can install. Since coming across the software (and trying it), I've had many people interested in obtaining Spanish-language versions. That must say something about the current state of our country. hahaha.
Come to southern california. Every other person is hispanic. And in many places, spanish either accompanies english on signs, or replaced it. And my girlfriend's family uses spanish quite often. Id like to be able to keep up.

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #17
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

I would also like the Rosetta Stone Spanish if it is free. I need to become fluent. Jason you should learn spanish as well and we can talk to each other to make sure we pronounce correctly and saying the correct thing.
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009   #18
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87

I love Demonoid.

edit: btw, Jason, let me know when you need level 3.

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote